New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

phuviano
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Hi there,

I bought a batis 18 off a very reputable fm forums member about 2 months ago. When I first got the batis 18, there was a slight buzzing/vibration, maybe a second in length. It happen once in a while, not every time i used the lens. I really didn't think much of it.

I wasn't really too concerned at the time. Before I bought the lens. The seller told me the lens was a B&H demo lens. I had no issues with it. I've also bought from this same seller in the past. Anyways, I'm not looking to get anything from the seller, since I've already had this lens for 2 months, give or take, already.

Today I was shooting at an event. My batis 18 decides to do the vibration/buzzing sound non-stop. Nothing will stop it. Turning off/on, change modes, changing to af/mf, turning oss on camera on/off, nothing will stop it from vibrating/buzzing. The lens itself works fine. My pictures turned out fine, since I was shooting at 1/125 of a second today. Photos are sharp, and blurry free. However, I do want to get this lens fixed. I shoot a lot of long exposures, on a tripod, so I'm sure the vibration would affect those photos for sure. Anyways I want it fixed.

I'm in Canada, near Toronto. I don't have the receipt. At this point, I'm sure I'll have pay for the repair.

Do I just contact Zeiss through their website? or does someone have an email or phone number? remember I'm in Canada, not the US.

Thanks.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:06 PM
kentdebby
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the batis 18. I had a batis 25 that had an issue so I sent it to the Zeiss support/repair facility in New York and they replaced it with a new one, but, I had to furnish the receipt. My point is you will need the receipt. Hope this helps.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:41 PM
phuviano
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

kentdebby wrote:
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the batis 18. I had a batis 25 that had an issue so I sent it to the Zeiss support/repair facility in New York and they replaced it with a new one, but, I had to furnish the receipt. My point is you will need the receipt. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have the receipt.

I also don't mind paying out of pocket for the repair, as that seems like my only option. I just want someone to tell me how to get in contact with someone for zeiss in Canada. I sent an email, but there doesn't seem to be an email link dedicated to camera lenses. They have email support for all other zeiss categories though, go figure.

I sent an email anyway. I'm hoping some else has dealt with zeiss in Canada, that can help me out.

May 01, 2017 at 12:08 AM
JDug
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Check you pm!

May 01, 2017 at 12:20 AM
phuviano
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

JDug wrote:
Check you pm!

Thanks.

May 01, 2017 at 12:30 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

PM and email sent... that lens should still be under warranty, so I sent you a copy of my purchase receipt.

May 10, 2017 at 05:53 PM
VladCZ

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Hello Phuviano,

I'd like to ask if there is any update on your issue?

I got the same issues with my Batis 18 once, but because the lens will soon be out of warranty I'd like make a decision wether I should send it ti Zeiss or not before warranty expiration.

Thanks a lot in advance for any information!

Best regards,

Vlad.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM
phuviano
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

So i was quoted i think $3xx ish. Can't remember the exact total. I'm dealing with a local company who sent it to zeiss for me. I believe the price is in cdn dollars. At least thats what I assumed when I agreed to the quoted price.

I was given the receipt by the fm forums seller I bought it off of. However, i was told the warranty was on applicable to the original owner only.

I'm fine with the price they quoted for me. I was expecting to pay more. If you're having similar problems. I suggest getting it sent in to get looked at.

Fyi, i was told that they are fixing or replacing the AF motor.

VladCZ wrote:
Hello Phuviano,

I'd like to ask if there is any update on your issue?

I got the same issues with my Batis 18 once, but because the lens will soon be out of warranty I'd like make a decision wether I should send it ti Zeiss or not before warranty expiration.

Thanks a lot in advance for any information!

Best regards,

Vlad.

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:11 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

phuviano wrote:
So i was quoted i think $3xx ish. Can't remember the exact total. I'm dealing with a local company who sent it to zeiss for me.

Anyone in Canada that needs service for a Zeiss lens should just send it directly to Zeiss USA themselves, and not bother going through a third party.

Their service is excellent; I sent in a Touit 12mm f2.8 for a firmware update last week, and they turned it around and had it shipped back to me by FedEx in less than 24 hours - at no charge (by comparison, Nikon Canada took nearly two weeks to perform a firmware upgrade on my D810).

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MrTMan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

I'm surprised the warranty wasn't transferable. I bought a used Loxia 35 that would occasionally freeze up my camera. I sent it to Zeiss USA along with the original owner's receipt, and there was no issue, they sent me back a new one for free (which was awesome, because I effectively got a new Loxia for the price of a used Loxia). They did know that I wasn't the original owner.

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:47 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

receipt is only required if lens replacement is needed.

gd luck w/ your repair. as of last yr, zeiss-usa std charge is $300 for lens repair.

phuviano wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have the receipt.

I also don't mind paying out of pocket for the repair, as that seems like my only option. I just want someone to tell me how to get in contact with someone for zeiss in Canada. I sent an email, but there doesn't seem to be an email link dedicated to camera lenses. They have email support for all other zeiss categories though, go figure.

I sent an email anyway. I'm hoping some else has dealt with zeiss in Canada, that can help me out.

Jun 18, 2017 at 08:31 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

MrTMan wrote:
I'm surprised the warranty wasn't transferable. I bought a used Loxia 35 that would occasionally freeze up my camera. I sent it to Zeiss USA along with the original owner's receipt, and there was no issue, they sent me back a new one for free (which was awesome, because I effectively got a new Loxia for the price of a used Loxia). They did know that I wasn't the original owner.

I suspect the issue is that the OP sent the lens to Zeiss via a third party. Over the years, I've learned that this is never a good idea with any brand of equipment.

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:06 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

The Zeiss website specifically says that the warranty is not transferable.
I'd be interested in hearing what the problem is although I don't have an 18mm Batis (yet) ...

ZEISS Lenses (Batis, Loxia, Milvus, Otus, Touit, Classic, ZM Lenses)
ZEISS guarantees for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase that the purchased lens is free from defects in material and workmanship. An extended warranty for one additional year is available by registering the product within 4-weeks of the date of purchase at the ZEISS product registration. The ZEISS manufacturer warranty applies in addition to your legal right to claim warranty towards the seller. This warranty is not transferable.

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/repairs/photo-lenses.html

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:29 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Just out of curiosity, does this only happen when shooting photos? I've run into something similar on rare occasion with the Batis 18mm, but only when shooting photos in single shot AF. When shooting continuous AF or video, it's still silent.

EDIT: ok I just threw the 18 Batis on my A7RII and I kid you not, it's vibrating uncontrollably like you're describing. Weird! It used to only happen once in a while. What was the fix? Just contact Zeiss? Did they say what the issue was for you?

Jun 20, 2017 at 08:40 AM
MrTMan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

mcbroomf wrote:
The Zeiss website specifically says that the warranty is not transferable.
I'd be interested in hearing what the problem is although I don't have an 18mm Batis (yet) ...

ZEISS Lenses (Batis, Loxia, Milvus, Otus, Touit, Classic, ZM Lenses)
ZEISS guarantees for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase that the purchased lens is free from defects in material and workmanship. An extended warranty for one additional year is available by registering the product within 4-weeks of the date of purchase at the ZEISS product registration. The ZEISS manufacturer warranty applies in addition to your legal right to claim

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/repairs/photo-lenses.html
...Show more

Weird. Like I said, I was completely upfront about not being the original owner, and they never suggested it would be a problem. I mailed it in directly rather than going through a third party. The original owner had never registered the lens and had left the warranty card blank (I submitted it with my own info filled in) so I don't know if that may have helped my situation.

I will say that Zeiss' customer service is awesome and a pleasure to deal with, as compared to a horrible experience that I had with Sony and Precision.

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
kits_VA

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

I bought Zeiss Batis 25mm here on FM a little over a month and used the lens only for 10-20 shots until I took it for vacation this week. I got this buzzing problem -

as well. It starts randomly and wouldn't stop until I power off. When I power on it might start immediately or might take few minutes but it just is happening all the time now. Checked with seller and he doesn't have the receipt. So, emailed Zeiss USA in NY after leaving voicemail.

$300 for repair makes my decision to buy used so terrible as it ends up costing same as new. I am wondering if this common problem with Batis lenses as I saw several topics on it when I googled. Maybe not good idea to buy used Batis lens.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:03 PM
phuviano
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Batis 18 vibration/buzzing sound need help

Not sure if it's common or not. I started this thread. This was what my batis 18 was exactly like. After my batis 18 was repaired, it works perfectly fine.

At the end of the day, this is the risk you take by buying used. I knew that when I bought my batis 18. The way I look at it. Look it all the used equipment I've bought over the years. I've saved thousands of dollars by buying used, as opposed to brand new. Brand new, you have warranty. Used, ymmv.

I was told mine was the AF motor. I'm sure yours is the same,because the symptoms seemed exactly how my lens was, before the repair.

Also on another note. I have batis 85, and batis 25 as well. No issues at all.

kits_VA wrote:
I bought Zeiss Batis 25mm here on FM a little over a month and used the lens only for 10-20 shots until I took it for vacation this week. I got this buzzing problem -

as well. It starts randomly and wouldn't stop until I power off. When I power on it might start immediately or might take few minutes but it just is happening all the time now. Checked with seller and he doesn't have the receipt. So, emailed Zeiss USA in NY after leaving voicemail.

$300 for repair makes my decision to buy used so terrible as
...Show more

Nov 11, 2017 at 08:39 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password