New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Old Barn

FunkyPDB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Barn

I think I may have taken this one a little too far. Original photo included for reference. C&C welcome.

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Barn

I think you will want to straighten the shot a bit using the upper slats as a guide. I think this will make the sideboards slope like chevrons to the door as the main element. I like the colors and textures of the wood in your edited one. I could do without the side yard and might not even need the window but it would be better to hear from the more experienced members here. For me, it's the door and the time it has stood and offered service. The chain holding the door closed is great and allows me to ponder the scene a bit more.

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Barn

tough to figure out how to work on horizontals and vertical with this place!
I think the first is a bit too saturated, colorful. Maybe what you mean by taking it too far? You do need more pop but perhaps with contrast bump and pulling out more texture, detail in the wood.
I have no idea how to crop this one!
Monotone??

Scott

Apr 30, 2017 at 04:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Barn

Do you have one from further back? Agree the first colors seem off.

Apr 30, 2017 at 05:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Barn

The first does look a bit warm and a bit saturated. A slight pull-back on the saturation (might tone down the warm) might leave a pleasant warmth vs. a but much. If that still leaves it much, then you can cool it down a touch ... S&P to taste as always.

Mono & framing ... took a stab at it. Tried to study how it was racked (note the looser boards upper right of door vs. lower right of door). Playing with the skew, it looks like it may have elements of keystoning in play. Took a look at the "chevron" thing, couldn't quite make it go the way I was thinking, so I just went with something a bit more "straight up".

PP might be a bit much in certain regard (rough in others), but for an idea tickler, wth.

Apr 30, 2017 at 09:40 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Barn

Not even close (gone too far that is). lol

Now mine might be pushing it (and I can push it further if challenged).

https://s19.postimg.org/lqy9diss3/1457305.jpg

May 01, 2017 at 08:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Barn

May 01, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Barn

I like the work above by lylejk. What did you do to it? I was thinking this kind of crop before but the leaning wall does have a lot of interest so then I am not sure if there is enough left to captivate a viewer.

May 01, 2017 at 11:52 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Barn

Have been experimenting with all kinds of ways using convolutions (GIMP has two layer properties: Grain Extract and Grain Merge that allow you to convolve images) to fake HDRs. I sort of outlined my flow here. It's not the first page of this thread; only my outline. I posted various attempts both before and after. Was going for the fantasy extreme look; trying to back off a bit and be more photo like.

May 01, 2017 at 12:41 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Barn

Here's another approach to post processing this one for consideration. To estimate the base color correction, the PS eyedropper was placed on a few spots of white paint. They red a few points to yellow and a few more points too green and perhaps a bit generally under exposed. First layer added to adjust green down and add a little blue to the mid-tones. The second layer was a merged copy (cntl/opt/shift/e on a MAC) where the UnSharp Mask (USM) filter was applied twice at 10,60,0 to add mid-tone contrast to compensate for very flat light. The next layer lowered the gamma to tweak the boost characteristics of the previous layer and bump the exposure a little. The next layer was another merged copy with the smart sharpen filter was applied at 77, 0.7. (Probably not the best choice, but about my usual first guess for the size images typically posted to the forum.) The last (top) layer was a color balance layer to add yellow to the shadows to counter the bluish tinge sometimes found in shadows on a cloudy day.

May 01, 2017 at 02:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Barn

Very realistic looking.

May 01, 2017 at 02:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old Barn

Nice job on the PP WB CC Karen.

So how's the matriarch of PC Forum been? It's been quite a while since you've graced folks with your layer screen shots.

May 01, 2017 at 07:01 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old Barn

Since I retired I've been busier than ever, it seems, leaving less time for photo related play. I expected the opposite. Go figure.

Although I look into the forums from time to time, I got in a rut, photographically, and I'm mostly taking some time out. I'm devoting effort to diet and exercise to improve my health, and I'm trying to dig into many chores I've procrastinated on for years. I'm also looking into a couple of other hobby interests I've not pursued for a long time. No doubt I'll continue to dabble in photography and hopefully become inspired again at some point to come back with renewed interest.

Y'all seem to be doing fine without me frequently butting in.

May 01, 2017 at 08:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old Barn

Great re-work Karen.
Take time and do what you need to do, but please keep dropping by. Your contributions are inestimable.

Scott

May 01, 2017 at 08:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old Barn

Might also help to understand the reasoning of the offered revised version:

My first impression of the image was the dilapidated doors on a dilapidated building and the second was the rendition was odd. On the assumption the message might be how time and the elements take their toll, I considered a very straight rendition where the message was the crumbling dilapidation might be appropriate. My hunch conjectures the more natural looking the image, the more it sells the message. Therefore, the intent of the post processing suggested for consideration was to make it look as natural and un-contrived as possible ... no matter how much Photoshoppery it takes.

May 01, 2017 at 10:30 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Old Barn

AuntiPode wrote:
Y'all seem to be doing fine without me frequently butting in.

Says who!?!?!?!?

Don't be such a stranger.

Here's a quick version from me.

Jeff

May 02, 2017 at 11:06 AM
-rce-
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Old Barn

Ask an engineer a question, you might get two or three different answers.

Here's my eye's version of the original image.

an engineer's eye

May 05, 2017 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.