New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

But he continues to be an Olympus shooter.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2017/04/with-heavy-heart-i-have-left-olympus.html?m=1

Apr 30, 2017 at 04:23 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

sometimes, a person wants to have a personal life and the job is not as important as what you once thought.

Apr 30, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

I have my doubts if he will continue fully with Olympus or m43 for that matter as he has not explicitly mentioned that he will continue with m43 or Olympus. Rather he is talking about "freedom" so he might even be going to Fuji/Sony camp at least for his professional photo side..time will tell where he lands up.

bobbytan wrote:
But he continues to be an Olympus shooter.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2017/04/with-heavy-heart-i-have-left-olympus.html?m=1

Apr 30, 2017 at 08:31 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

My gut tells me he will continue to use Olympus.

Sagar wrote:
I have my doubts if he will continue fully with Olympus or m43 for that matter as he has not explicitly mentioned that he will continue with m43 or Olympus. Rather he is talking about "freedom" so he might even be going to Fuji/Sony camp at least for his professional photo side..time will tell where he lands up.

Apr 30, 2017 at 09:11 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

I've only been shooting Olympus for about 2 years and have gained many insights and techniques from Robin's blogs. His Pen F high ISO setup tips were eye opening, and his OMD cheat sheet helped me get a handle on the vagaries of the Olympus menus system.

He will be missed, I'm sure.

Gods fortune to you Robin....

May 01, 2017 at 01:09 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

He will still be around and you can follow his blog.

gary0319 wrote:
I've only been shooting Olympus for about 2 years and have gained many insights and techniques from Robin's blogs. His Pen F high ISO setup tips were eye opening, and his OMD cheat sheet helped me get a handle on the vagaries of the Olympus menus system.

He will be missed, I'm sure.

Gods fortune to you Robin....

May 01, 2017 at 03:24 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

It sounds like he'll be shooting more now.

May 01, 2017 at 04:21 AM
mjc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Its interesting that he shared his thoughts on the challenges relating to potential conflicts of interests arising from being aligned 100% to a particular camera maker.

Also, it sounds like he worked really, really hard at Olympus & that it was pretty time consuming. Good luck to him on his next adventure....

May 02, 2017 at 04:01 PM
sarenz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Nothing but speculation on my part, but it will be interesting to see if Robin will be collaborating with Ming Thein, who recently mentioned he was bringing on a "familiar friend" as a contributor to his site. Despite his new position with Hasselblad, Ming is also a longtime Olympus shooter, and a fan of the E-M1.2. I've learned a lot from both their blogs, so to me a collaboration would be an exciting development.

May 03, 2017 at 09:53 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

"Olympus will always have a special place in my heart. I am still currently using Olympus as my main gear for shooting. Leaving Olympus was not an easy decision but surely the right one for me, to further grow myself in photography without restrictions of being tied to a camera brand, and focus more on my own shooting."

Actually kind of sounds more as if he wants to either change or more likely add a brand to his gear IMO. Just my opinion though.

Not that it matters all that much, gear is gear and great fun but a talented person can shoot no matter what brand he uses.

May 04, 2017 at 12:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Wilbus wrote:
"Olympus will always have a special place in my heart. I am still currently using Olympus as my main gear for shooting. Leaving Olympus was not an easy decision but surely the right one for me, to further grow myself in photography without restrictions of being tied to a camera brand, and focus more on my own shooting."

Actually kind of sounds more as if he wants to either change or more likely add a brand to his gear IMO. Just my opinion though.

Not that it matters all that much, gear is gear and great fun but a talented person
...Show more

What are you changing to?

May 04, 2017 at 02:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

I am with you, Rasmus. My main/preferred/fun camera is the E-M1.2 and my secondary camera will be the A7RII. I have a lot more money tied up in m43 gear. I don't even know why I bought the Little Tuna (150/2) as that freaking lens is BIG and HEAVY!

Wilbus wrote:

Not that it matters all that much, gear is gear and great fun but a talented person
...Show more

May 04, 2017 at 03:57 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

savingspaces wrote:
What are you changing to?

---------------------------------------------

bobbytan wrote:
I am with you, Rasmus. My main/preferred/fun camera is the E-M1.2 and my secondary camera will be the A7RII. I have a lot more money tied up in m43 gear. I don't even know why I bought the Little Tuna (150/2) as that freaking lens is BIG and HEAVY!

Sorry, a missunderstanding here I think. I quoted the end of Robin Wongs post

Personally I am not changing to anything, I am happy with what I have now, I might add a system in the future but really not sure. I just sold the Sony A7 (first version) that I had and used for about 6 months but decided I am better off with my m43 gear.
I started out shooting Nikon and that is the most likely system I would add in the future if anything, that or another Sony I guess if Nikon can't pull the head out of their ass and create a good mirrorless.

I really enjoy my m43 gear, E-M1 mk I and some good lenses, I'd rather add more lenses right now then another camera although the gear head in me always look for something new and fun. GAS!!

But to be honest, the E-M1 does everything I want from it. I mostly do landscapes and portraits, I rarely do high speed shooting, not that I don't want to it's just that I don't find the opportunities for it very often.
I do wish I had better long exposure quality from the sensor, that is where the Sony really outdid the E-M1 but with long exposure noise reduction set to on the E-M1 really work and works well. At first I didn't think it worked but now with some experimenting it's all fine and dandy. Only problem is, and this could make me go with a large sensor again, is that long exposure noise reduction doubles the exposure time. This is ok with a minute exposure or so but once you reach 10 minutes and then have to wait another 10 minutes for it to expose the noise reduction image... well, that's the one and only shot you're gonna get that sunset

May 05, 2017 at 11:32 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Check out the DxO Mark sensor ratings for the E-M1 vs E-M1.2 vs Nikon D7200. May help you decide if you should upgrade to the E-M1.2 or D7200.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Nikon-D7200-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1___1136_1020_909

Versus the Nikon D500:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Nikon-D500-versus-Nikon-D7200___1136_1061_1020

Wilbus wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Sorry, a missunderstanding here I think. I quoted the end of Robin Wongs post

Personally I am not changing to anything, I am happy with what I have now, I might add a system in the future but really not sure. I just sold the Sony A7 (first version) that I had and used for about 6 months but decided I am better off with my m43 gear.
I started out shooting Nikon and that is the most likely system I would add in the future if anything, that or another Sony I guess if Nikon can't pull the head
...Show more

May 05, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

bobbytan wrote:
Check out the DxO Mark sensor ratings for the E-M1 vs E-M1.2 vs Nikon D7200. May help you decide if you should upgrade to the E-M1.2 or D7200.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Nikon-D7200-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1___1136_1020_909

Versus the Nikon D500:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Nikon-D500-versus-Nikon-D7200___1136_1061_1020

They are all very close indeed! About a stop of dynamic range more from the APS-C sensor but to be honest, if or when I decide to add another system it will be for a 36x24mm sensor, like another Sony A7 or if Nikon comes out with a larger sensor mirrorless or a well made, thoroughly thought out Nikon DF replacement.

Gonna attend to an Olympus photo walk here in Sweden on Wednesday so might be able to get my hands on and use the E-M1.2 a little more

May 08, 2017 at 06:49 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

I have to agree with you - if you want upgrade to a better sensor you should go to a FF sensor and not bother with an APS-C sensor as you will only see on a marginal/incremental improvement with the APS-C sensor.

Wilbus wrote:
They are all very close indeed! About a stop of dynamic range more from the APS-C sensor but to be honest, if or when I decide to add another system it will be for a 36x24mm sensor, like another Sony A7 or if Nikon comes out with a larger sensor mirrorless or a well made, thoroughly thought out Nikon DF replacement.

Gonna attend to an Olympus photo walk here in Sweden on Wednesday so might be able to get my hands on and use the E-M1.2 a little more

May 08, 2017 at 04:01 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Indeed!

May 10, 2017 at 05:41 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

From Robin's latest blog post

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2017/05/moving-on-and-more-shutter-therapy.html

Oh, and what was this rumor about me joining Sony?

Yeap, I have been following the discussion over at DPReview forums about my departure from Olympus, and boy there were some wild theories flying around. The craziest ones speculated were me being hooked over by Sony (weirdly, I did wish this happened, though whether I would say yes or not, is another thing), I was mistreated in Olympus, being underpaid, and there was some internal conflict. I have to admit, reading those speculations and guesses was quite entertaining! Of course, none of the theories were true, except.... one. Someone actually nailed something
...Show more

May 10, 2017 at 09:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Comment from Simon Yong:

Can't wait for you to join FUJI and write lots of reviews.

That would be bad/sad news! But maybe that's only speculation or wishful thinking on his part!

Sagar wrote:
From Robin's latest blog post

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2017/05/moving-on-and-more-shutter-therapy.html

May 10, 2017 at 11:09 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Robin Wong is leaving Olympus ...

Seriously doubt that, possibly for the GFX if anything but time will tell

Sagar, it's nice to see he takes time to comment on comments and speculations. If nothing else just to say "that's not true".

May 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password