Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Phemanine47
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Hello all I'm hoping someone will point me to something that will help me get my storage needs taken care of for awhile?!
Here's what I'm using and what I'm trying to achieve. I'm using a 2015 15' rMBP9 2.8 gHZ Intel Core i7, 16gb, Intel Iris Pro, & 500gb SSD), Adobe CC Photography (LR & PS) editing, currently backup on 1 & 2TB external Hard drives & Backblaze.
Although until now I've only used my Photography for personal use I'm starting to take on a few clients and plan on taking it to the Professional level. Of course I've managed to amass quite a large collection of personal work which has become rather disorganized despite my best intentions when I bought this MacBook new in January.
Needless to say I would like to setup an organized workflow with a solid backup system in place using an NAS and RAID 5? This is where it all goes out the window for whatever reason I have a hard time making sense of what I need and how it works Which is why I'm here asking for suggestions on a system that I can use and will not have to be replaced with something larger for awhile... Also I don't want something super expensive if I can avoid it but it needs to be fast enough to handle LR and PS. The other thing I was thinking about adding is an external Samsung 1tb SSD to use for Lightroom editing not sure if it works with Photoshop? I would like to find something in the neighborhood of the $500 range (NOT INCLUDING SSD) and wouldn't mind buying used if it was in good condition. I understand I may be fooling myself since when I look at eBay many are way more expensive but since I really don't know what I'm looking at that may not mean anything.

Thank you and I hope someone will come up with the right system for me so I can get busy organizing my mess!!!

Tina

Apr 29, 2017 at 02:01 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

The first thing you need to do at this point is define your storage needs - how much space do you think you will need?

And if you are doing this professionally, you need to consider some form of data workflow: Data you are working on, data that is archived. Backups. How you do this also affects your storage needs, as not all data needs to be "live". If you are going to archive out images after you have delivered them to clients, then you don't actually need a massive live filesystem. You will need a robust offline archive storage solution though.

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

I highly suggest you first start by getting familiar with the beast. A very good reference is The DAM Book (digital asset management).

Remember that a NAS/Raid 5 is NOT a real backup solution. They too can and do fail. You might consider a three pronged approach where the first copy is the one you always work on, the second one via your raid-5 and the third an off-site copy (mine is in the safety deposit box at the bank).

JMTC
Matt

Apr 29, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Phemanine47
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Thank you both for your quick reply and advice.
Matt-I'm sorry if I may have made myself sound even more ignorant than I am as I do have a basic knowledge of how backup and storage work and am familiar with the 3-2-1 backup Peter Krough made known. What's really embarrassing is I have a copy of "The DAM Book" on my Kindle but haven't taken the time to really study it.

15Bit- The purpose of the external SSD I mentioned was what I planned on using for Data workflow instead of having everything on my MBP I was thinking of setting up the SSD, if that makes sense? I guess it's the middle setup that has me mixed up which I think of as NAS/Raid configured. Since the offsite physical storage I understand and I use Backblaze as well.

As for what I'm using now and what I may need in the future. Right now I'm sitting on roughly 2tb's maybe a bit more that are on 3 external hard drives and some on my laptop. I've tried to keep them all in a LR catalogue but each time I switched computers or LR was upgraded I managed to get things mixed up..... I'm thinking something with 6Tb should get me going for awhile?
I'm honestly getting panicky that one or all of my external hard drives will fail before I can get something solid in place to move everything onto my permanant device and make copies for there.

Thank you and my apology for not being more specific to what I need.

Apr 29, 2017 at 05:07 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

No problem Tina. You've recognized the need and are working the issue. Plenty of options out there. Synology seems to pop up frequently as a NAS many are using. I personally use a Drobo 5D and despite those who have had problems with them, I haven't for a number of years. But It's not my only copy I like it cause you don't have to deal with NAS software, it appears as one huge drive that can be increased just by swapping out a drive with a larger capacity one without loosing data. BTW I do have it set for dual disk redundancy protection.

Matt

Apr 29, 2017 at 06:07 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

You can get quit large single drives. If you are currently backing up to 1-2 TB drives, it seems like you can keep with the simplicity of single drives for quite a while. 4+ TB drives are readily available. I would avoid NAS and raid unless you cannot fit everything on a single drive. If you do need NAS/RAID, You will need a second one for backup. As mentioned above RAID is not viable for backup.

Check the speed when editing on an external spinning drive vs your internal SSD to see if the difference is noticible. If not, you can just get a 2-4 tb external and keep everything on that. Get 2 more for backup. Keep one connected for real time backup using Time machine and keep the second off-site or in a fireproof safe in the basement. Periodically swap them. This is what I do.

If the external is too slow, you can do your initial editing on the internal SSD and move them later to th spinning external when you need space. You can still keep it all in a single LR catalog.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

It might be worth looking over some old threads for useful info and discussion:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1481062

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1468970

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1343674

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1426833

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:30 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Keep in mind that writing to any affordable RAID 5 is s-l-o-w. RAID 10 seems to be better in terms of performance.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:20 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Alan321 wrote:
Keep in mind that writing to any affordable RAID 5 is s-l-o-w. RAID 10 seems to be better in terms of performance.

In a multi-user environment perhaps, but for single user sequential file access i don't think there is a big problem with consumer level RAID 5 setups. For sure you should be able to saturate any home network.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

I was in the middle of writing a long post on this but started to bore myself, so...

Here's a backup strategy/workflow for data:

Watched folder files to NAS (RAID)* for active, unattended bkup
NAS backed up to external drive, offline except at bkup time
Critical files backed up to a rotating pair of docked HDDs, one kept offsite, again offline except at bkup
Cloud bkup for certain important data (NOT images — bank statements, business invoices, personal files etc.) with versioning enabled (saving multiple copies of the same doc so that a bad edit doesn't overwrite a good saved copy)

* re RAID not being a backup, it depends on how you manage the overall strategy. With RAID you have immediate redundancy / protection against disk failure. With proper software implementation (versioning again), you have protection against accidental deletions or overwrites but not against malware or catastrophic failure — same as any other attached device. I have a simple, 2 disk QNAP running over ethernet and set up so it looks like any other drive to the OS. Speed is not an issue because I rarely work from it.

Now, the real reason I have a NAS is because my wife bought it for me. But now that I've got it running I can't imagine doing without it. My work is backed up without my involvement or intervention. I don't have to think about it, it just happens. And while I could have that same functionality with an online external drive, having the redundancy of RAID is a comfort because I've had an external die quickly and without warning. One day it worked, the next it was unmountable.

I guess backups are like any other form of insurance. You have to make sure you have enough and that it's going to be there when you need it.

Edited on Apr 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

mhayes5254 wrote:
You can get quit large single drives. If you are currently backing up to 1-2 TB drives, it seems like you can keep with the simplicity of single drives for quite a while. 4+ TB drives are readily available. I would avoid NAS and raid unless you cannot fit everything on a single drive. If you do need NAS/RAID, You will need a second one for backup. As mentioned above RAID is not viable for backup.

Check the speed when editing on an external spinning drive vs your internal SSD to see if the difference is noticible. If not, you can
...Show more

+1 on a basic external setup for small volume sizes, either one or two 2-drive RAID 1 drives or several separate drives. Above ~8TB of data the individual or RAID 1 drives become inefficient and some sort of array is preferable. 8TB is the sweet spot for price/capacity, with 10TB prices finally dropping and 12TB just starting to ship.

I'm using 7x8TB drives (~36TB as n-2) in a 10GbE NAS, which is overkill for most users. I also use individual 10TB drives and have piles of older drives up to 6 TB.

The same rules should apply regardless of tactics, at least two sets of data on two different media in two different locations. I'm a strong believer in having two sets of local data for quick restores and one offsite for disasters.

EBH

EBH

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

A reasonable and economic approach that also provides back up redundancy is the following.

- External drive bay with a minimum two drives, no RAID, use software to back up, a great one is Carbon Copy Cloner. These are data drives, all files get stored hear, the internal drive is for OS and apps so no need for SSD for data drives. CCC can be set up to do daily backups and of course instant backups once you load your memory cards or finishing the edits on files. Personally, I use an OWC Thunderbay 4, Thunderbolt 2 speeds, 4 drive bays.

- include an external drive bay so you can insert a drive, run CCC pull the drive for off site storage. My choice is the Newertech drive bay.

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

JBPhotog wrote:
A reasonable and economic approach that also provides back up redundancy is the following.

- External drive bay with a minimum two drives, no RAID, use software to back up, a great one is Carbon Copy Cloner. These are data drives, all files get stored hear, the internal drive is for OS and apps so no need for SSD for data drives. CCC can be set up to do daily backups and of course instant backups once you load your memory cards or finishing the edits on files. Personally, I use an OWC Thunderbay 4, Thunderbolt 2 speeds, 4 drive bays.

-
...Show more

+1 on CCC. A really good program, but only for Mac

I've used the thunderbay 4 too, running Soft RAID at thunderbolt 1 speeds from a 2011 MBP in RAID 4. It was good enough considering that thunderbolt 2 would be at least twice as fast, but when I switched to Windows the speed dropped to all ahead dead slow. Think USB 1.1 speeds ! I've only just got a PC with thunderbolt 2 and was going to resurrect my thunderbay 4 with a RAID 5 setup but that pretty much means using Windows Storage Spaces, which gobbles up CPU cycles far more so than Soft RAID and is still very slow. So now I'm going to try instead a relatively simple RAID 10 without using Windows Storage Spaces.

Unless Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are inherently much slower than OSX for file transfers, my Windows laptops with thunderbolt 1 have been less than half as fast as my old MBP and so I came to blame it on secretly crippled hardware. e.g. too many computer features sharing the same CPU and M/B data lanes.

I've used a drobo 5D too with dual drive redundancy but it was terribly slow. Worse still, it was very limiting when it came to mixing small volumes with large volumes. The slow speed is consistent with what I have been reading about RAID 5 and RAID 6 but drobo does not actually use standard "RAID" and it takes full control of the volume sizes and locations. So now the drobo is just a storm-rated paper weight (i.e. heavy) or perhaps a small boat anchor.

There's a lot of merit in using multiple single HDDs for backups and managing them manually, but a RAID 10 offers better protection from a single HDD failure between those manual interventions. It is so easy to lose track of time or even forget to do a manual backup that some automation is highly recommended. I decided to leave the manual backups for backing up the backups, and automate the more urgent first backups.

The fundamental downside of any always-avaiable backup is that they'll be zapped, stolen, burned or drowned along with the PC when something goes wrong. I've got far too much stuff to be relying on cloud-based storage and so I just make lots of single-drive backups and store them elsewhere.

A word of warning about relying on backups:
I had a laptop computer die on me; slowly and painfully over a period of many months. Near the end it trashed every drive that I plugged into it, and I had lost two drives of backups to it before I recognised what was happening. One or two backups is simply not enough to be relying on when your fan is really covered in sh...

May 02, 2017 at 03:57 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please help with external storage for home/small business.

Although a little expensive for hobbyists, I use StorageCraft Shadow protect for a small business and home use. I think it is money well spent.
You can use their software to also create your own offsite cloud (home, friends house, etc) to which it automatically backs up. All backups have integrity checks run on the chain. You can set a retention policy. I have email alerts for any issue. In addition to Raid 1 drives for availability, StorageCraft is a wonderful backup solution.

They include free virtual boot software. Install Oracle virtualbox for free. Then simply choose to 'boot' one of your backup images in the virtual environment. Very handy.

Their support is amazing. Better than any other vendor I have dealt with. They have quick email support and switch over to a knowledgeable person via phone (and remote if needed) quickly if needed.

I rarely have data integrity issues, but email alerts allow me to discover them quickly. I simply take a copy of my good file (cloud or local) and replace the bad file.

The backup program is here
https://buy.storagecraft.com/StorageCraft-ShadowProtect-SPX-Desktop-Windows-P1459C110.aspx

The add on license that lets you send your local backups to an offsite location over the internet (your own personal cloud)
https://buy.storagecraft.com/StorageCraft-ImageManager-ShadowStream-P1571.aspx
You can create a 'seed drive' which eliminates the initial large file backup delay.

The backup managing program (retention, integrity) is free.

May 02, 2017 at 08:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.