New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

graham_martin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

I purchased a Phottix external battery pack PH23213 for Nikon from Adorama in New York. I have a Nikon SB800. The instruction manual states that the user should "Attach the connector plug to the flash unit's power port. For Nikon flashes, insert the larger 3 pin plug first, followed by the smaller plug."

The battery pack only came with one plug which was attached to the coiled connector. There was not a second plug. Should there have been two plugs? Right now the connector doesn't seem to be as snug as I would have thought it should be.

I have tried to get an answer from Phottix but they have not replied yet.

I also own a Phottix Mitros flash, and I have ordered the adapter to use with that flash.

Apr 29, 2017 at 07:00 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

Looking at the photos on their site, the smaller connector appears to be a PC cable. If you are using the flash on-camera, then I would think that all you need is the 3 pin connector to the flash. As for the fit, many off-brand cables don't fit as securely as the OEM ones do. Remember, the cable will be stretched a bit, so I would make sure that it does stay connected. Adorama is good about returns if you have second thoughts.

While not as inexpensive as the Phottix, you might want to look at Quantum or Adorama's Flashpoint 960, (aka the Godox /Wistro PB960) both of which supply high voltage to the flash with a removeable/replaceable power cable, although they do not use AA batteries, but a propritery battery.

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:11 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

This is what mine looks like. As you can see, there is only one connector.

Phottix external battery pack for Nikon

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

The original (6 AA batteries) SD-8(a) and its knock offs have the 2 cable set up, with the three pin plug to be inserted in the front, and the small plug to be inserted in the PC plug

On the SB900/910 (8 AA batteries) battery pack (the SD9) the PC cord disappeared, which however did not cause any issues with the flash
Due to a small hump on the three pin plug, it could not be used on the SB800

Many (all?) knock of SD9's have a similar one cable construction, but miss the small hump on the 3 pin plug, which enables them to be used on the SB800 as well, as far as I know (I have one myself) without any issues
The three pin plug of my knock of SD9 has a rather loose fit tool, so I usually secure it with an extra piece of gaffer tape to the flash to be sure

I have knock of SD8's (bought in the past) and as said a knock of SD9 for the occasions when I want to take along a small battery pack (usually simply as a 'just in case' solution) with my SB800's and/or SB910

But when I know in advance I will be relying heavily on the external battery pack eg due to the kind of event I will be shooting using a flash (eg catwalk inder bad lighting, with fast series of shots, demanding powerful flashes, and at the same time fast recycle times eg http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/20160403_max_h_jhm ) I have a couple of Propack (as far as I can see on the pictures identical to the Godox/Wistro versions) PB960 external battery packs, which have much more capacity and allow much faster recycle times

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:07 AM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

Looking at your photo, that does not look like the Nikon connector. I realize that when I checked before writing to you, that I did not look at the Phottix site, but at this one from Unique Photo, seems to show the Nikon connector. Of course, one of them might be mis-labeled. This is the one I saw, and that looks more like the Nikon connector.

You mention that the cable fits, but it is loose. Does the flash work with it?

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:13 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

Paul, are you saying that the one I bought from Adorama won't work with my SB-800?

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:14 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

I saw that same unit on the Unique Photo website which made me realize that mine does not look the same. My SB-800 works with the Phottix battery pack, but it is difficult to tell if it is actually drawing power from it as opposed to the batteries installed in the SB-800. One has to leave the batteries installed in the flash, and there is no indicator light on the the Phottix battery pack to indicate that it is connected.

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul_K
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

graham_martin wrote:
Paul, are you saying that the one I bought from Adorama won't work with my SB-800?

On the contrary, based on my own experience with a knock of SD9 (also lacking the 'PC' cord) it will/should

Apr 30, 2017 at 08:07 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

Paul_K wrote:
On the contrary, based on my own experience with a knock of SD9 (also lacking the 'PC' cord) it will/should

Okay, thanks for all of your help.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

graham_martin wrote:
This is what mine looks like. As you can see, there is only one connector.

Just noticed the picture you posted of your Phottix pack

If the square plug is indeed intended as the connector to the SB800, I have my doubts whether it will fit your SB800

To be able to fit on a SB800 (or SB900/910 for that matter) it needs the plug to be designed as shown on the image posted by Phototeacher, three tube like shaped connectors next to each other

Apr 30, 2017 at 01:00 PM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

Paul_K wrote:
Just noticed the picture you posted of your Phottix pack

If the square plug is indeed intended as the connector to the SB800, I have my doubts whether it will fit your SB800

To be able to fit on a SB800 (or SB900/910 for that matter) it needs the plug to be designed as shown on the image posted by Phototeacher, three tube like shaped connectors next to each other

Mine does have three tube type connectors like the one that Phototeacher posted except that mine does not have the PC connector. The photo of mine was taken from the Adorama website and it is not very easy to see the shape of the connector.

Apr 30, 2017 at 01:20 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

If it is the right connector, then I would try firing the flash on Manual, at full power with only the AA batteries, 5-8 times, and get an average of the recycle time. Then try the same with the power pack connected. You should see a shorter recycle time if the pack is working.

Apr 30, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question re Phottix Battery pack with Nikon SB800

PhotoTeacher wrote:
If it is the right connector, then I would try firing the flash on Manual, at full power with only the AA batteries, 5-8 times, and get an average of the recycle time. Then try the same with the power pack connected. You should see a shorter recycle time if the pack is working.

The knock of SD8/9's I got have a red LED (?) that lightens up when the speedlight is triggered and uses the external battery pack as energy source for the flash, while the 4 AA's that go in the SB800/910 itself are used to power the internal electronics.menu and LCD screen

Thr Phottix seems to show such a light as well on the picture posted

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password