New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Well I've just ordered a fixed lens rangefinder lens that has been salvaged from a non working camera and grafted onto an E mount. Here's a link to one very similar to the one I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bundle-Sony-NEX-adapted-Olympus-35-G-Zuiko-1-1-7-f-4-2cm-LENs-SONY-E-mount/262944726040?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dfd2362f63b9a46da907d4cc08fa024bf%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D172247414606&_trkparms=pageci%253A550d3ead-2c70-11e7-98e1-74dbd1804bfb%257Cparentrq%253Ab70beace15b0aa1621698582ffff48de%257Ciid%253A1

A bit of background: I had an Olympus 35SP when I was a grad student in the late eighties. It was already a semi historical classic then. It was a beautiful beast; a spot metering rangefinder with a big beautiful rangefinder and above all a wonderful, 7-element G-Zuiko 42mm f1.7 lens. That thing was not useless centrally at f1.7 and I recall it being really sharp stopped down. I had a lot of images I cherish from it, even if my skill back in the day was not that great.

There's been a bit of hype since: I've hard people call the lens the "Summiluxacron" claiming that it has the speed of the summilux of the period and the IQ of the summicron. I have no idea if that hype is justified.

But I will be in a nostalgic way thrilled to have the old 42 1.7 back again, this time on my Sony. I won't care if the hype is nothing, it was't that pricey and the sentiment is enough. But if it is good it'll be very useful - I love 40mm lenses and I don't currently have one - though I will be tempted by the CV 1.2 when it comes out if it is centrally useful at 1.2 and critically good stopped down.

Here's one of my nostalgic images taken on TMAX 400 with that lens back in the early nineties...

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:24 AM
bjornthun
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Congrats! That's a cool find!

An Olympus OM-2 Spot/Program with a Zuiko 50/1.8 was my first camera. Olympus' Zuiko lenses are first rate, and I wish they would join the Sony E mount and make full frame Zuikos for it.

I found this, Ken Rockwell -35SP. The lens should be fine.

Apr 29, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Very neat David!
Post some pictures when you get it. I'm very curious to see how this lens renders.
Best,
Fred

Apr 29, 2017 at 02:50 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

bjornthun wrote:
Congrats! That's a cool find!

An Olympus OM-2 Spot/Program with a Zuiko 50/1.8 was my first camera. Olympus' Zuiko lenses are first rate, and I wish they would join the Sony E mount and make full frame Zuikos for it.

I found this, Ken Rockwell -35SP. The lens should be fine.

Ken Rockwell likes it! Cant have everything!

Yes I had an OM2-SP as well; I think it was my second 'real' camera and replaced an OM-40; I had a few other OM bodies (4, 4Ti) in my quiver before the great pause in photography when I moved around internationally for work a lot and didn't have a darkroom. Nice cameras; I ended up with 3.5/21, 2/35, 1.4/50. 2/50. 2/85. 2/90 and 2.8/135 as my main lenses, with occasional flirtation with zooms...

Apr 29, 2017 at 07:57 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

A cool find indeed! Did you go searching for it or stumble across it by accident? Really looking forward to seeing how it performs on the A7R II. And perhaps you could show how it looks on the camera. What the heck, why not go for broke and give us a full Rock Huffwell style review?

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:07 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

genji wrote:
A cool find indeed! Did you go searching for it or stumble across it by accident? Really looking forward to seeing how it performs on the A7R II. And perhaps you could show how it looks on the camera. What the heck, why not go for broke and give us a full Rock Huffwell style review?

A bit of both; I came by for almost nothing two entertaining finds: (1) Robot Royal helicoid adapter which is beautifully made (Yeenon; the pricey Chinese adapter maker that makes nicely engineered, aesthetically pleasing helicoid adapters unlike the (admitted functional) agricultural looking ones that you mostly see around. (2) A Robot Royal (Schneider Kreuznach) Xenar 45mm f2.8 which is *tiny*. The latter is a tessar style lens, which they kept making long after they were in the ordinary camera business but switched to traffic surveillance systems! Thus is has modern coatings and so forth. Purely a bit of fun. But I though having the adapter I'd look to see if any other Robot lenses could be had for a song. Not really; they command prices that aren't worth it just for fun. But I did notice that there were a few rehoused with M39 mounts, from some Russian guy who sells rehoused lenses, and that he had a few rehoused fixed lens rangefinder lenses.

That's when I remembered by old 35SP (and RD) with affection, and wondered if anyone had rehoused those lenses. Sure enough there's this guy in Brooklyn, and he mounts them on E mount (actually M39 might have been better, as then they could be used on TAP).

He has the lens from the 35S and the 35LC which are precursors of the SP as well for a bit less money. I think the optical formula is the same, but the samples will obviously be older and the coatings may be different.

He also has the lens from Canonets and Yashinon rangefinders, which I know some people loved...

Apr 30, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

There seems to be very little info (that I could find...) on this "Pillowsarecool1" fellow. Well received seller for sure, but I want to know more. besides high end cine, I have never thought about rehousing lenses, especially those that were firmly attached to cherished all-in-one bodies. Please post some pics from the "franken-summiluxacron" if you get a chance- these rehousing jobs are fascinating. Very low end conversion compared to cine jobs, but also very inexpensive for a ready-to-go, otherwise unusable relic.

Apr 30, 2017 at 05:03 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Comparing the lens front on the 35SP camera in Rockwell's test to the three adapted Zuiko lenses on pillowsarecool1's E-b*** shop, none of the three appear to be that lens. Looks like perhaps you got the only actual SP lens he had? In any case, I'd like to see how it works for you - perhaps he has more in the works...

May 01, 2017 at 03:34 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

I'd like to try the 28/2.8 lens from my Nikon 28Ti. Always made for nice film pics. Nikon also made a 35Ti with a 35/2.8 that would be interesting.
Probably a lot of broken ones in the bottom of drawers seeing as how they are about 20+ years old now.

May 01, 2017 at 04:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

carlitos wrote:
I'd like to try the 28/2.8 lens from my Nikon 28Ti. Always made for nice film pics. Nikon also made a 35Ti with a 35/2.8 that would be interesting.
Probably a lot of broken ones in the bottom of drawers seeing as how they are about 20+ years old now.

maybe, but all the ones on ebay seem to be sitting at $400 or more.

May 01, 2017 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carlitos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

sebboh wrote:
maybe, but all the ones on ebay seem to be sitting at $400 or more.

I hadn't even looked, just assumed

May 01, 2017 at 04:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

carlitos wrote:
I hadn't even looked, just assumed

yeah, i'm always hoping the contax t3 will come down in price or broken ones will turn up cheap too, but it certainly doesn't look that way...

May 01, 2017 at 04:43 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Another eBay seller, yi12cu, does similar conversions. I've seen them post a lot of Yashica lenses. They had a 35mm f1.8 at one point that was extremely compact that looked quite interesting.

May 01, 2017 at 07:34 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

CalW wrote:
Comparing the lens front on the 35SP camera in Rockwell's test to the three adapted Zuiko lenses on pillowsarecool1's E-b*** shop, none of the three appear to be that lens. Looks like perhaps you got the only actual SP lens he had? In any case, I'd like to see how it works for you - perhaps he has more in the works...

Yes, that's right: I got the only 35SP, He had 35LC lenses and various other similar ones. It's often said that the lens on the earlier LC is the same, but it's always possible that it was modified or the coatings improved. It does sell for a bit less though. But the SPs come up from time to time!

Anyhow it arrived, and I'm more pleased than I thought I would be. Will include a couple of dog snaps that give a sense of the bokeh on this. It seems quite usable for most of the central area wide open, with unexpectedly smooth bokeh. And around f2.5-8 it gets really sharp, and the bokeh is lovely - reminds me of the C-Sonnar, but sharper!

Suffers from a bit of veiling flare with light sources out of the frame (I've got no hood yet, but some guy in Israel is selling new old stock of the original hood, which I've bought for no good reason but fun). Surprisingly all right with the sun in the frame for a lens of this vintage.

Anyhow here are a couple of traditional playing around with a new lens dog snaps that give some sense of bokeh stopped down one stop, both close and at a few metres remove.

One respect in which it might have got its Summiluxicron label is that (not visible in these images) when it's wide open there's a combination of surprisingly decent sharpness with "Leica glow" halation likely from SA, which is quite appealing if (or when) you like that kind of thing.

May 11, 2017 at 02:35 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

DavidBM wrote:
Yes, that's right: I got the only 35SP, He had 35LC lenses and various other similar ones. It's often said that the lens on the earlier LC is the same, but it's always possible that it was modified or the coatings improved. It does sell for a bit less though. But the SPs come up from time to time!

Anyhow it arrived, and I'm more pleased than I thought I would be. Will include a couple of dog snaps that give a sense of the bokeh on this. It seems quite usable for most of the central area wide open, with
...Show more

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Lovely bokeh indeed. I seriously doubt that the CV 40/1.2's bokeh will be anywhere near as pleasing. Great that you could find an OEM hood too.

May 11, 2017 at 05:10 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

sebboh wrote:
yeah, i'm always hoping the contax t3 will come down in price or broken ones will turn up cheap too, but it certainly doesn't look that way...

Yes, I had a Contax T, but they got to be so expensive, I sold it. List price was $350, I think, in the mid '80's. I sold mine for about $1000 after they'd been discontinued several years later (replaced by Contax T2 with different lens). The 38mm lens in the T was very nice. Another Frankenlens candidate, I would think.

May 11, 2017 at 04:30 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

DavidBM wrote:
...It seems quite usable for most of the central area wide open, with unexpectedly smooth bokeh. And around f2.5-8 it gets really sharp, and the bokeh is lovely - reminds me of the C-Sonnar, but sharper!...

The bokeh is very creamy. Beautiful...

May 11, 2017 at 08:36 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

carlitos wrote:
Yes, I had a Contax T, but they got to be so expensive, I sold it. List price was $350, I think, in the mid '80's. I sold mine for about $1000 after they'd been discontinued several years later (replaced by Contax T2 with different lens). The 38mm lens in the T was very nice. Another Frankenlens candidate, I would think.

Maybe; but I fear that the hipsters who shoot film find small and legendary fixed lens rangefinders irresistible, so the price of the Contax T and T2 is kept high enough that it's economical to repair them for sale even if they are in pretty bad nick. Whereas the price you can get for most classic fixed lens rangefinders of the this period is not enough to justify even a decent CLA in many casees; so Frenkenlensing becomes the most economical alternative for a dealer with the skills.

May 11, 2017 at 10:23 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

OK as I said the bokeh at f 1.7 is a little funky compared to the smooth look stopped down a little. Here's an image which shows wide open bokeh with a fairly close b/g (about 1m) but with no specular highlights.. Annie, again I'm afraid, but she's a willing model and ideal for bokeh tests..

May 11, 2017 at 11:28 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Frankenlenses from Brooklyn.

Bokeh remains more than acceptable @f/1.7 IMHO, plus you have a generous (and tasty) serving of Pop. What's not to like? How do the focusing and aperture rings feel in use?

DavidBM wrote:
OK as I said the bokeh at f 1.7 is a little funky compared to the smooth look stopped down a little. Here's an image which shows wide open bokeh with a fairly close b/g (about 1m) but with no specular highlights.. Annie, again I'm afraid, but she's a willing model and ideal for bokeh tests..

May 12, 2017 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password