Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · How not to get your gear stolen!

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How not to get your gear stolen!

Caution is often warranted, and I agree with many of the suggestions.

Do be careful, too, about believing some of the location-based generalizations. While the rates of theft can be higher in some places than in others, an unfortunate and overblown kind of paranoia sometimes arises and creates an impression of constant danger in places where folks photograph all the time without incident.

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedStates/SanFrancisco/Color/BelmarMeatMarketTheMission20100220.jpg

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedStates/SanFrancisco/Color/ShopsSeatedManSF20100712.jpg

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How not to get your gear stolen!

Be careful when renting an automobile. The sticker on the bumper indicating the rental company's name is often a sure signal to thieves that the car is being driven by a tourist and may contain valuables inside.

Nov 26, 2017 at 07:28 PM
jdc562
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How not to get your gear stolen!

One more thing: when I have valuable photo gear in my vehicle, I string lightweight, flexible steel cables through the accessory loops and handles of the locked packs, cases, and coolers holding my gear. I padlock the cables to anything solid in the vehicle. I also attach several ripcord-activated, ear-splitting "personal alarms" to the gear cases. You can buy the DIY cable by the foot with the end-loop hardware at most large hardware stores. Amazon carries a big assortment of the rip-cord alarms. All of these things are very inexpensive. Pacsafe (c) also sells slash-resistant packs and steel net bag protectors for another layer of protection.

In addition, I keep all of this gear under cover and not visible from outside the vehicle. I often keep my thin laptop hidden separately under an extra floor mat in the back where no one puts their feet.

Most vehicle break-ins are the fast, smash-and-grab type, or use door jimmies. Although determined thieves could eventually cut through the handles and cables while enduring the attention-attracting, screaming alarms, they generally won't take this extra risk.

Nov 27, 2017 at 04:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.