New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Wait or now?

Worldchaos81

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wait or now?

Sold all my canon gear, making the switch to more travel and compact forms with this time only 1 lens.

So question is with the news of the a9, not sure how Sony's timeline is on follow up releases that will follow such flagships for semi-pro cameras, as I miss shooting and want to get the "a9r" or the rxr2riii.

From your Sony experience of releases that it will be a month or two or will Sony hold back a year and trying to maximize a9 sales before updating the rest of the line?

Thanks!!

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM
RoseandCharles
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wait or now?

What are you looking to do exactly? If you need reach, you might go for an all-in-one camera with 1" sensor. Sony RX10III (weather resistant) has 24-600mm, Canon G7X (not weather resistant) has 24-100mm, and Panasonic LX10/Sony RX100III and above have 24-70mm. If you need low light performance, resolution plus ultra compact form factor, RX1RII is good but has no image stabilization. If you want resolution, weather resistance and ability to change lenses, a7RII, or if you want even smaller plus touch screen, a6500.

Sony releases bodies very quickly, which is one of the criticisms people have. They might be holding back a few months this time to let the a9 get the time in the spotlight for a while, and then go after the fall/winter season hard with new cameras. Never really know with them though, because they announced a6500 just a few months after a6300 shipped.

Personally I am really hoping for more native AF lens announcements from any manufacturer A 35mm/f2 or 40mm/f2 (or f1.8) Batis would be great. FE 135/f2 that's cheaper than the announced Batis would also be great. It's looking to be an interesting year, and I hope for more interesting bodies, lenses and all-in-ones to come.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wait or now?

At this point there aren't even real rumors of an a9r I don't think (at least that I've seen). Plus, the first a9's are going to roll out in July. So, I suspect that we are talking about the end of the year at the earliest for another new camera to be on the street.

They could surprise us, though... Didn't the a7s come out of nowhere pretty quickly back in 2014?

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wait or now?

Sony needs to register camera types in certain countries, and typically they do that 2 months before announcement. They registered 2, and one (A9) was announced, so that leaves one to come. But it could be anything, from a compact to a camcorder to...

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Worldchaos81

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wait or now?

All excellent information.

I do a lot of product photography, as well as I like to have my travel well documented and I was tired of lugging the 5diii around with 3 different lens taking scenery, urban and slow my family down switch lens or having my wife carry my gear.

So i sold it all and want to continue my travels along with product photography. So I really just wanted to make my wife happy with just one camera and one lens to rule them all. The stabilization is my only concern for the rx2 but I gotten very good at steadying my body and hands from years of video games.

The a7rii was good choice at the time, but its lens especially the 24-70 definitely turned me off and I loved my canons 35mm L, to the equivalent was the a7rii with a 35 2.8 zeiss.

I may just eat it and go with the 35mm zeiss which will reduce the financial impact of the reduction on body when the a9r eventually comes out.

Much appreciate all the input!

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:34 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wait or now?

Worldchaos81 wrote:

I do a lot of product photography, as well as I like to have my travel well documented and I was tired of lugging the 5diii around with 3 different lens taking scenery, urban and slow my family down switch lens or having my wife carry my gear.

So i sold it all and want to continue my travels along with product photography. So I really just wanted to make my wife happy with just one camera and one lens to rule them all. The stabilization is my only concern for the rx2 but I gotten very good
...Show more

If you loved your Canon 35mm f/1.4L, why stop at the FE 35mm f/2.8? Yes, that f/2.8 is small, lightweight but at f/2.8 it is on the slow side. Sony has the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss, too and it is an excellent performer, even at wide open. It is not as light and/or small as the f/2.8 little brother but not as big/bulky as the Canon counterpart. That and the weight/bulk "savings" of the A7r II would not be something to sneer at, IMHO.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:09 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wait or now?

They have already announced 2. The 2nd one is some kind of video camera, nobody seemed to motice or talk anout it.

philber wrote:
Sony needs to register camera types in certain countries, and typically they do that 2 months before announcement. They registered 2, and one (A9) was announced, so that leaves one to come. But it could be anything, from a compact to a camcorder to...

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM
RoseandCharles
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wait or now?

Worldchaos81 wrote:

So i sold it all and want to continue my travels along with product photography. So I really just wanted to make my wife happy with just one camera and one lens to rule them all. The stabilization is my only concern for the rx2 but I gotten very good
...Show more

The RX1RII might be something you enjoy. But it has no weather resistance or image stabilization, which are the reasons why I didn't go for it personally. I am also picky with image quality, so I didn't really want to go for the RX100V, even though I did enjoy the original RX100 (my first "real" camera, before I went to NEX series then a7 series).

Apr 28, 2017 at 01:04 PM
jankap
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wait or now?

AEgoJO writes
If you loved your Canon 35mm f/1.4L, why stop at the FE 35mm f/2.8? Yes, that f/2.8 is small, lightweight but at f/2.8 it is on the slow side.
------
What is the advantage of a fast 35mm lens?
With film one was nailed on the ISO of the film, but with digital sensors...
We switch to mirrorless, because of weight and dimensions. To take the camera with us more often.

With 50 or 75mm lenses it would make sense, freeing the subject from the background.
Or for pictures of the Milky Way with wide angles.
Jan

May 01, 2017 at 02:18 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.