Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

  

NYC advice - last two weeks in May
  
 
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


I'm going to NYC for the last two weeks in May and wanted to gets some advice for shooting locations.

I was going to hit some of the following favourites i've been to in the past, but wanted to get some advice on other locations as well:


  1. Brooklyn Bridge (sunrise walk across bridge)
  2. Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridge from DUMBO
  3. Pier 1 - brooklyn bridge park area
  4. WTC memorial site
  5. NYC skyline from Hamilton Park at sunset(Weehawken, NJ)
  6. Liberty State Park
  7. Grand Central Terminal
  8. Rockefeller centre (may skip - since i won't be able to take a tripod)
  9. Central park - looking for suggestions, have really only shot the bridge/pond in the past
  10. Flatiron building (what's the lighting like at sunrise/sunset?)
  11. Times Square


There are other places I'd like to go like the Guggenheim, but will probably skip because the hassle i had with my camera and camera bag. I'll be carrying my gear around all day, so am not looking to go to places where i can't take my gear.

Would also appreciate advice on what are some good vantage points that are accessible to the public to get elevated views of Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridge, as well as advice for sunrise/sunset. I'm also undecided on the Statue of Liberty, since, it's hard to get out there at a time when the lighting is good.

I'm going to be splitting my time between staying in NJ, NYC and Brooklyn and hope to get good light to shoot Manhattenhenge on May 29/30.



Apr 28, 2017 at 05:30 AM
MalbikEndar
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


Of those, the one I WOULD make an effort to go to would be Rockefeller Center for the art deco-ness.

Also consider a visit to the Cloisters.




Apr 28, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Ming-Tzu
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


Being from NY, I think you've been to more places than me lol

- For the sunrise and sunset, you probably all the spots covered. If you don't want to hit up Liberty State Park, maybe stick to the Jersey City boardwalk, which is a bit more accessible depending on your mode of transportation.

- Brooklyn Bridge Park is also a nice spot as they've really built up the DUMBO area

- Maybe look up some spots in Long Island City, which is right by the Queensboro bridge and may offer different views of the city

- Also look into The High Line, which may be nice at sunrise/sunset, and overall, a nice walking experience on the west side of the city

- Never been to the Statue of Liberty so can't comment on that

- Maybe also check out the Battery Park area?

- Also, although it's kind of inaccessible, look into Roosevelt Island



Apr 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


Ming-Tzu wrote:
Being from NY, I think you've been to more places than me lol

- For the sunrise and sunset, you probably all the spots covered. If you don't want to hit up Liberty State Park, maybe stick to the Jersey City boardwalk, which is a bit more accessible depending on your mode of transportation.

- Brooklyn Bridge Park is also a nice spot as they've really built up the DUMBO area

- Maybe look up some spots in Long Island City, which is right by the Queensboro bridge and may offer different views of the city

- Also look into The High Line, which
...Show more

thanks for the suggestions - I haven't been to Long Island City or roosevelt island.



Apr 30, 2017 at 05:44 PM
mdude85
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


In Central Park the Mall is pretty nice, as is the Bethesda Terrace/Fountain area. I also like the view of the city from the Reservoir running track.


May 04, 2017 at 01:35 PM
xoda
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


khurram1 wrote:
I'm going to NYC for the last two weeks in May and wanted to gets some advice for shooting locations.

I was going to hit some of the following favourites i've been to in the past, but wanted to get some advice on other locations as well:


  1. Brooklyn Bridge (sunrise walk across bridge)
  2. Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridge from DUMBO
  3. Pier 1 - brooklyn bridge park area
  4. WTC memorial site
  5. NYC skyline from Hamilton Park at sunset(Weehawken, NJ)
  6. Liberty State Park
  7. Grand Central Terminal
  8. Rockefeller centre (may skip - since i won't be able to take a tripod)
  9. Central park - looking for suggestions, have really only shot the bridge/pond in the past
  10. Flatiron
  11. Times Square


There are other places I'd like to go like the Guggenheim, but will probably skip because the hassle i had with my camera and camera bag. I'll be carrying my gear around all day, so am not looking to go to places where i can't take my gear.

Would also appreciate advice on what are some good vantage points that are accessible to the public to get elevated views of Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridge, as well as advice for sunrise/sunset. I'm also undecided on the Statue of Liberty, since, it's hard to get out there at a time when the lighting is good.

I'm going to be splitting my time between staying in NJ, NYC and Brooklyn and hope to get good light to shoot Manhattenhenge on May 29/30.
...Show more

Very comprehensive. I'd add Empire State Building. Are you planning to do rooftopping?



May 06, 2017 at 10:53 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



CH3NO2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


Christopher Street along the Hudson River for amazing sunsets in addition to Battery Park.

Harlem including Strivers Row in Harlem is where you will find amazing brownstone buildings, as well as streets 120 - 124 where the brownstones are in great shape near Morningside park.

If you go to Harlem, make sure you capture the Apollo on 125 street. Go early AM to avoid street vendors - set up tripod on downtown side of 125.

The famous Theresa Hotel is on 125 and Adam Clayton Powell (7th Avenue). Fidel Castro would stay there. Harlem courthouse is sweet.

Riverside Park along the Hudson river, and Morningside Park.

Grants tomb and Riverside Church near Columbia university is a nice capture as well.

Audobon Ballroom in Washington Heights...building is beautiful. 3940 Broadway.

There is a bike path along the Hudson river walking uptown direction to the George Washington Bridge....the little red lighthouse is next to bridge. I would start around 150th street.

Central Park you need a week to appreciate it.



May 06, 2017 at 05:51 PM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


mdude85 wrote:
In Central Park the Mall is pretty nice, as is the Bethesda Terrace/Fountain area. I also like the view of the city from the Reservoir running track.


thanks for the suggestion - i just googled photos of the Mall. turns out i may have stumbled on to it before. Is it on the side of the part that is close tot he Guggenheim museum?



May 09, 2017 at 03:49 AM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


I'd like to do ESB and Rockefeller. I've done Rockefeller before, but wasn't able able to use my tripod. I think i'd have the same issue at ESB.
xoda wrote:
Very comprehensive. I'd add Empire State Building. Are you planning to do rooftopping?




May 09, 2017 at 03:51 AM
khurram1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


CH3NO2 wrote:
Christopher Street along the Hudson River for amazing sunsets in addition to Battery Park.

Harlem including Strivers Row in Harlem is where you will find amazing brownstone buildings, as well as streets 120 - 124 where the brownstones are in great shape near Morningside park.

If you go to Harlem, make sure you capture the Apollo on 125 street. Go early AM to avoid street vendors - set up tripod on downtown side of 125.

The famous Theresa Hotel is on 125 and Adam Clayton Powell (7th Avenue). Fidel Castro would stay there. Harlem courthouse is sweet.

Riverside Park along the Hudson river,
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion!! checked out photos of Grant's tomb. Is riverside church the same as Rockefeller church?



May 09, 2017 at 04:01 AM
CH3NO2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


The church was donates by John Rockefeller...yes.


May 09, 2017 at 10:48 AM
jim allison
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NYC advice - last two weeks in May


The Cloisters are magnificent!


May 15, 2017 at 03:55 PM







FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password