Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

Haven't really looked at the Batis lenses, but i see that they have similar FLs as the Loxia offerings. I know Loxia is full manual and Batis is AF, but are there any other differences? I know google is my friend, but i would rather get real world feedback from people who have used them.

Selling the 14-24 in a few weeks, and I am 99.85% sure i am getting the Lox 21mm 2.8 as my first post 14-24 landscape lens. From what i have read on here, the Batis aren't as good IQ wise as the Loxia, and sunstars aren't as spectacular as the 21mm? (18mm Batis specifically)

Sorry for all the recent threads - it is painful for me to make decisions sometimes. ....

Apr 27, 2017 at 07:24 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Haven't really looked at the Batis lenses,

Sorry for all the recent threads - it is painful for me to make decisions sometimes. ....

, there's your problem. A little reading will go a long way.

Apr 27, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

there really aren't any good reviews of both in a landscape review - and that is the problem. I guess i should have stated that first...

Apr 27, 2017 at 07:48 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Haven't really looked at the Batis lenses, but i see that they have similar FLs as the Loxia offerings. I know Loxia is full manual and Batis is AF, but are there any other differences? I know google is my friend, but i would rather get real world feedback from people who have used them.

Selling the 14-24 in a few weeks, and I am 99.85% sure i am getting the Lox 21mm 2.8 as my first post 14-24 landscape lens. From what i have read on here, the Batis aren't as good IQ wise as the Loxia, and
...Show more

Well, I have and use them all except for the 2.4/85 Loxia (it's great, but for landscape which is what I'd use it for the ZM is almost as great, much smaller and lighter, and the reduced speed doesn't matter)

I really don't think there is a lot to be said about their differences; there are more differneces between Loxias than there are between recent Loxia designs and Batis designs IHMO.

In particular, choosing between the 21, 18 and 25 is all about choosing focal length if it's overall IQ that you are asking about. Obviously the haptics are very different; some hate the Batis MF (I'm fine with it) and some find a couple of things about Loxia fiddly (the lack of somewhere to grip the lens when mounting, the tendency to shift focus when changing aperture).

The only systematic IQ difference between these three is down to the iris; the Loxia gives you ten pointed sunstars, the Batises 18 points, and that's a matter of preference. (I'm I'm the 10 point cheer group that lives on this forum; but the 18 point has its own appeal I can see)

The older Loxias (the ones based on ZM designs) are a bit different from this group. The 35, which I rather like, is in particular a very different looking lens. It does have a similar look (just down to good resolution and great contrast) stopped down, but at wider apertures various aberrations give it a more classic look (it is after all a classic design). The 50, which is one of the best classic double gauss designs ever, nevertheless has some of the outer field issues that double gauss designs always have at wide apertures (though no issue that's ever made a difference to my photography, since when I want corner to corner sharpness, I'm usually stopped down for independent reasons).

But ultimately I'd choose on haptics and focal length, not looking for elusive systematic family resemblances.

Apr 27, 2017 at 08:01 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · difference between Loxia and Batis? Autofocus?

There's some comparison shots here between the 18 and 21: http://www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-batis-182-8-review/

Image quality seems very similar. Biggest difference is probably just the size, AF vs. MF, and focal length.

I think the main question should be what you're going to pair it with. If it's going to be your widest lens, then you should go for the 18mm. If you're planning on a 14mm/15mm at some point, the Loxia 21 probably makes more sense...

And in terms of Batis vs. Loxia, generally, it depends on the individual lens. Some are better than others. But there's no rule saying that the Loxia lenses are typically better than the Batis lenses or vice versa.

Apr 27, 2017 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.