Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

24L, 35L, 50L & 85L. Usually 24/35/50 for small rooms; and 24/50/85 for large rooms. 50/85 are primarily portrait lenses in this part of the day, of course.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

mb126 wrote:
35L II is the bomb. Set it at f/1.8 and forget it (almost).

It's such a great lens.

Apr 29, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

-

Edited on May 01, 2017 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:26 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

Yajbuilder wrote:
...while this is kind of true- the OP is "covered" and has great glass- the thread question is on what our our favorite "getting ready" lens is.

I thought the question was also this: "should I borrow 85?"

This job is very interlaced with gear, and shooting by way of, "non-photographers won't notice the lenses" seems to label those who shoot to be done with it, and those who cherish making fantastic images people will value.

Or it labels gear heads who cherish pixel peeping. Making fantastic images people will value surely can not be lens related, although many wish it was.

May 01, 2017 at 12:23 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

InSanE wrote:
Or it labels gear heads who cherish pixel peeping. Making fantastic images people will value surely can not be lens related, although many wish it was.

We're there to do the work, why not use the gear that makes you happy while you do it? Yeah, we can all shoot most of a wedding with a 24-70. That doesn't make other choices wrong/excessive.

May 01, 2017 at 12:38 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

BSPhotog wrote:
We're there to do the work, why not use the gear that makes you happy while you do it? Yeah, we can all shoot most of a wedding with a 24-70. That doesn't make other choices wrong/excessive.

Thats another topic. I am not against making myself happy, but it surely costs more and is not necessary.

May 01, 2017 at 01:00 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

Yajbuilder wrote:
This job is very interlaced with gear, and shooting by way of, "non-photographers won't notice the lenses" seems to label those who shoot to be done with it, and those who cherish making fantastic images people will value.

"Shoot to be done with it " as you call it, to me would also translate with " Doing the job to the required standards and efficiency as a business not a hobby and not over capitalising on what the work needs.

If it were not rude which I do not wish to be to you, I would laugh loudly at the " Images people will value" part of your statement. I don't know who much experience you have but in mine which covers most areas of photography and selling to make money not pretty pictures, 98% of clients out there wouldn't know a good picture from their elbow. That's been proven to me endless times in how you can show them 2 pics of the same thing and they will pick the dud out of the pair every single time. Another classic example is the amount of clients the most dodgy and hopeless shooters can attract before the law or whoever catches up with them and the slam the door indicator is the way people gush over crap on SM and share it round further degrading it.

Sorry, but the presumption that people are going to appreciate a picture taken with one lens over another because of some quality difference the Shooter asserts is just not a valid or creditable position.

The " Images people value " Sentiment is also if we are honest and not trying to appease the gathered masses or kid ourselves, is far more an indulgence for the shooter than a quality concern for the client. Much as many will try to argue otherwise under a paper thin version of reality.
What it really translates to is an excuse for shooters to have their toys.
That's Fine and well but call it what it is and not try to BS that it's a business or client concern.

I'm currently looking to spend $2.5K on a lens for pure self indulgence of something I want to shoot that has no business use or need. Only person I'm going to hide that from is the tax man.
Everyone else I have no problem telling them that's my toy and indulgence. Don't like it when people try to convince me of what I know is an excuse, I do have the insecurity to have to do it to anyone else.

I really enjoy using lenses I know well so I can both get it done (reliably with little cost), and share the very best work I can, with gear I enjoy.

3 parts of that statement to me denote self indulgence rather than a business position.
The other seems questionable.

I'd love to know where the " Little cost" comes from? Unless you use cheap, consumer grade lenses of course which do have a noticeable performance difference over quality glass. You don't need scientific equipment to see that! I find lenses ( Quality lenses) to be anything BUT of little cost. Reliable gear also has a cost so I'm not sure where you are coming from with that opinion.

This in mind:
My favorite getting ready lens is the vintage 100 f2 AF minolta on my old a7 with the ea4 adapter wide open. I like the tighter crop because I am usually doing quasi-candids at this time.

I have never thought of a favourite getting ready, Ceremony, first dance or any other favourite part Lens.
Whatever is wrong with my head and resulting outlook, my mind goes to what is the best piece of equipment for the job or that part of. Never thought of anything like " Ohh, I like using that lens" or camera or whatever. It's simply a consideration of what is the best tool for the job.
As I do a range of work, My favourite " getting ready lens" Might also be my favourite "Kids underwater" lens, My favourite "Nude under the waterfall" lens, 3/4 Bike pic lens, product shot and a bunch of other favourites because none of my gear is used for just one thing..... With the exception of that STM lens I use for shooting YT vids. Not my " Favourite" for that either, just the best thing I have for that specific job and the sole reason I bought the bastard.

The only favourite I have is calculating my clients average spend and trying new methods to keep that figure increasing.

To me work is to earn the best returns on the hours and effort I put in.
A hobby is what I do to enjoy myself and my work is what pays for that..... although I do have a couple that pay bloody well but they sometimes feel like hard work too at times.

If you can enjoy your work, that's great but FFS sake don't try and pass the indulgences off as necessary for your work when we all know it's nothing other than self gratification.

Edited on May 01, 2017 at 07:04 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2017 at 08:02 AM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

-

Edited on May 01, 2017 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2017 at 02:01 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

> I've noticed a bit of a rift in the wedding forums over here lately, a rift I would rather not be part of.

2017 :: the year of the high horse

May 01, 2017 at 02:46 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

^ Where were you in 2016 & 2015?

May 01, 2017 at 02:48 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

I use the 35 a lot

May 03, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Getting ready photos - favorite lens

I have always loved the 35mm but lately I have been digging the Nikon 58mm f/1.4

May 03, 2017 at 03:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.