New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Congratulations to Peter Figen for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

We lost another really great musician last week. Allen Holdsworth died in Southern California. He was a guitar player's guitar player. Look up some of his youtube instructional vids and be blown away at his total mastery of the instrument. I shot these around twenty-five years ago, more or less, for Guitar Player Magazine. In both shots he's holding the famous Synthaxe guitar synth and you can see the incredible reach of those fingers allowing him to play chords others can only imagine. These are two that hold up over time. Both shot on RZ67 on Fuji RFP. Drum scanned on a Howtek.

Allan Holdsworth

Allen Holdsworth

Edited on Apr 28, 2017 at 01:44 AM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:00 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Excellent work Peter. I know when someone you've photographed dies, it's like losing a friend.

Apr 27, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks Doug. You're right. There have been about seven in the last year alone. Crazy, but I guess a lot of them are getting to that age, although Allen was only seventy.

Apr 27, 2017 at 09:35 AM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Holy crap!... an eight fret stretch !!!!

I'm doing great if I can even stretch for four frets

Great images Peter!

R.I.P. Allen

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:47 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Your archives never fail to amaze, Peter.

Beautiful work.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks guys. And film_4ever, notice too that those frets don't get closer together as they go up the neck. Strings all the same gauge too. Those frets are all individual controller contacts.

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Aaaagh. I misspelled Allan's first name. My apologies. Is there any way to change it now?

Peter

Apr 28, 2017 at 01:15 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks Chuck. I think I fixed it.

Apr 28, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Beautiful shots, love the clarity and color of it.

Marcelo

Apr 28, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks Marcelo. And so many people still say that film sucks. Actually, when I look at these they don't even look "film-y" to me. Hmmm...

May 05, 2017 at 09:20 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Congratulations on the win, Peter. Well deserved.

May 05, 2017 at 10:50 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Congrats Peter!

May 05, 2017 at 11:47 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Wonderful photographs Peter. And congrats on a much deserved win. We seem to have lost so many great musicians over the past few years.

May 06, 2017 at 09:17 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks. There have been at least half a dozen alone that I've photographed that have gone in the last year and a half. And just last week, Bill Bryson, long time bass player for Chris Hillman died. Not someone who was really well known generally but another super musician, singer and songwriter and generally great guy. He was seventy. I guess we're just getting to the time where a lot of people we've sort of taken for granted for many years are coming to the end of their lives.

May 06, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Jmadhavan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Beautiful picture Peter. What kinda guitar is that?
Jas

May 06, 2017 at 01:30 PM
TNshooter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Peter, those are classic images. I remember the days when I started playing bass and guitar and the likes of Holdsworth, john Scofield, and Clapton were gracing the covers of GP. I still remember being introduced to one Eric Johnson with the cover asking "Who is Eric Johnson? And why is he on our cover?" EJ has been a guitar hero of mine for many years since. I hadn't heard about Holdsworth's passing (too busy with travel baseball). Very nice work and sad that we are losing so many talented artists.
Greg

May 06, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Jas - That's a Synthaxe - a guitar synthesizer that just sort of looks like a guitar. Really, each fret is split into six separate contacts. I think there were around a hundred of them ever made. I think Allan had at least three when I made these photos. I also photographed Lee Ritenour with a Synthaxe as well. There are some great youtube vids of Allan playing that instrument.

Greg - Yeah. Eric Johnson is fabulous as well. I think that Tom Brechtlein, the great L.A. drummer went to Austin years ago to play with Eric - at least that's what my memory is telling me at this point.

Peter

May 06, 2017 at 05:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

outstanding image of what was an outstanding musician.

May 07, 2017 at 08:06 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Wow, am I ever glad that I stumbled upon these images. Great work Peter. I remember seeing the bottom image in GP back in the day. He has always been one of my favorites, and I truly regret not having ever seen him perform live.

May 07, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Allan Holdsworth (guitar player) died last week

Thanks Jim. I can't even remember which images they ran, and after my last dealing with the parent company a year ago when Keith Emerson died, I didn't even bother contacting GP Mag, even though I'm still friends with the AD there.

What I find interesting is that these were just little, almost throw away gigs for me - back in the day - when I was doing two or three of these a week for a few hundred bucks a piece. Now when I go back I often find that it was the images that were never used that are the most interesting. That, in conjunction with have a really great drum scanner in house and fairly advanced Photoshop skills make images that once we might have just tossed quite viable.

I have to go back into Allan's folder and see if there are any others I like enough to scan. I'm already getting calls from around the country from fans wanting prints. I guess Square Space's SEO is working.

Peter

May 07, 2017 at 11:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.