New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Walk around lens for A7ii

angelIV

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Hi guys new to Sony just recently dove and got a a7ii as a vacation cam. I still have it in a box, I'm still on the edge well I was planning to get the 24-70 f4 but the reviews for the lens was not really that great.
I need your advice guys go with the 24-200's or something else? Thank you.

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:17 PM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Walk around lens for A7ii

I guess my question is do you really need 200mm or even 70mm? To me a walkaround lens is a compact 28mm or 35mm prime.

If you do need a zoom, the 24-70 Zeiss isn't bad - not an inspiring performer, but can be had cheaply for a used copy and is still much, much better than the 28-70.

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:23 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Walk around lens for A7ii

I think the 24-70 is NOT much much better than the 28-70.

For landscapes, yes, it might well be much better but for other things, the kit lens may even be better but that is the thing, for the price difference, the lowly kit lens is actually better than you would think while the 24-70 isn't as good as the price indicates.

The 24-70 is likely (a fair bit) better for landscapes while the 28-70 is at least as good for centre sharpness I think.

At tax time in a couple of months I expect to be able to get one new lens.

I was seriously considering the 24-70 but have decided to look at others now as when I DO need a mid range zoom, the 28-70 is good enough.

On DXO, the 28-70 actually rates HIGHER for sharpness than the 24-70 on the A7Rii (though it is close).
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-28-70mm-F35-56-OSS-on-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Vario-Tessar-T-STAR-24-70mm-F4-ZA-OSS__1244_1035_1253_0

If you look at the field maps, the kit lens has a shaper centre area (that is a reasonable size) but the edges are not as good while the Zeiss is much more even across the frame.

I use mine for punter shots at live music gigs sometimes as well as on the bands (though not often) as I mainly use primes and it makes a nice back up.

It is also ok for video too.

I would take the 28-70 kit lens as a walk around any time for the 12mp and 24mp FF E mount cameras though I would also add the 55 1.8 too.

Edited on Apr 26, 2017 at 07:54 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:49 PM
Jmonat7
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Walk around lens for A7ii

You could go for the affordable FE 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2 combination. I believe that these lenses would be a well-performing, affordable kit. Or if you have a little extra cash, you could get the 55mm f1.8 and the 28mm f2 used for around $1000 total and maybe less if you find a good deal on the 55.

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:53 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Jmonat7 wrote:
You could go for the affordable FE 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2 combination. I believe that these lenses would be a well-performing, affordable kit. Or if you have a little extra cash, you could get the 55mm f1.8 and the 28mm f2 used for around $1000 total and maybe less if you find a good deal on the 55.

Sounds like great walk around kit if you want AF! Hard to beat 28+50, add the 85 later if you need a tele.

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:08 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Walk around lens for A7ii

I'de probably get a combo of zooms and primes if unsure. I do have the 24-240 and just recently sold off the 24-70.

the 24-70 is a tiny bit better @24 stopped down, but both are not very good at that FL, just ok. The 24-240 is surprisingly good from 28-120? beyond that, if you want critical sharpness from it, stop it down a little.

very decent lens, was thinking the 24-70 HAD to be better, but the 24-240 was probably better at similar focal lengths, and pretty usable all the way through. I would definitely use it for travel now, I've used it at the aquarium, zoo, whale watching, nice one lens to have.

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:22 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Leica Summicron-C/Minolta Rokkor-M 40/2. You can get a TechArtPro adapter if you want AF. Small, light, dependable, great focal length for the format, good speed, nicely imperfect draw at wide apertures, well-behaved stopped down.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM
ratchfordphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Maybe I am in the minority, but I have had a very good experience with the 24-70 Zeiss. I have tried both the 28-70 and 24-70. My copy of the 28-70 was by far worse than my 16-50 kit lens on my A6000. Anything outside of the middle 1/3 of the image was blurry at all apertures. Very blurry.

I bought a 24-70 from a user here and it has totally surprised me. I might have a unicorn copy, but it is excellent at all ranges except at 24 f4. 28 f4 is great. 24 f5.6 is great. 24 f4 is the only place it isn't good.

It is as good or better side to side at 24-35mm at all apertures at/above f5.6 than my 16-35 Zeiss.

I actually wanted to hate the 24-70 Zeiss as an excuse to get the GM. Now I am stuck because I really don't want to sell the Zeiss because of its small size and good performance, but still want the GM.

The 24-70 Zeiss is not worth the $1200 asking price, but a good copy is a very good walk around lens for $650 used.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:58 PM
Sener
• •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Walk around lens for A7ii

If it's supposed to be a single lens, the CZ 35mm f2.8.

If a dual setup, FE 28mm + FE 50 or CZ 55.

If you're into zooms and don't mind the size, the 24-70mm f4. The 28-70 maybe as sharp or sharper, but it won't yield the Zeiss punch in colors and rendering. The 24-70 is no prime lens though, but with some PP it'll still handily best the 28-70. Not everything is sharpness

Apr 27, 2017 at 03:50 AM
angelIV

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Thank you I am planning to get the 50 1.8 and meta ones since I do have some canon primes.

Apr 27, 2017 at 06:20 AM
angelIV

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Walk around lens for A7ii

I do shoot landscapes but more of family and kids
I am leaning on the 24- 240 for an all around travel lens I really want to try the 24-70 z but the bad reviews plus the price I'm kind of scared.
I have a 2 y son alway running around lol I got used to a 24-105 lens for vacations I wish Sony has one.

Apr 27, 2017 at 06:28 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Walk around lens for A7ii

A few points:

If you're worried about the 24-70, I don't think you're going to be happy with the 24-240. Seriously. The superzoom is a mediocre lens.

The 50 f/1.8 has a very flawed AF system for 2017. It's loud, it's slow, and it can end up hunting in difficult situations or moderate light. A real pity, because the imaging characteristics and size of the lens are great. This one is already screaming for a $349 mk2 w/ a new AF design.

If you want to stay small, primes are a good way to go. The 28mm f/2 is great for your needs-- fast AF, great central resolution from wide aperture, nice colors. The Sony 85mm f/1.8 is also a great choice, even better if you can wait for a used copy to show up. You can always add a w/a adaptor to the 28.

Apr 27, 2017 at 06:54 AM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Walk around lens for A7ii

A walk-around lens is probably not the 24-240 lens. That is more of a travel lens. While versatile for various focal lengths and subjects while traveling, the image quality is sacrificed and it is quite large. A walk-around lens should be at a versatile focal length and yet be small enough to not be obtrusive. For this, the 28mm f2 is a good option. Very small and under $500 or under $300 used. Image quality is good, but not great especially the edges aren't spectacular. The lens construction is also all metal and not plastic. The best feature about this lens though are the attachments. You can buy Sony-made converters in front of the lens to make the lens 21mm f2.8 or 16mm f3.5. The converters don't make the lens much larger but the having ultra wide angle with a simple attachment makes it amazing for indoor shots or city use.

Finally if you want a zoom for something more versatile, then the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens is right for you. The 24-70 Zeiss is much more expensive and only marginally better. You're just paying for corner sharpness basically. It's essentially flat the entire frame. The 28-70 is pretty great in the center but its weakness is really the corners. It's small, extremely lightweight and dust/moisture resistant. It's plastic unfortunately. However for under $500 or $150 used (it's cheap cuz everyone has one) there's no better option!

Apr 27, 2017 at 09:22 AM
snikt228
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Walk around lens for A7ii

I guess it depends on where you're going and what focal lengths you like to shoot. The 16-35 f4 plus maybe the 55 1.8 would be a good versatile option.

I use the 35 1.4 as a walk around lens sometimes

The 24-70 f4 isn't bad from like 28-30MM to 70MM, at least on my copy. 24MM is "OK" but not really suitable for landscape prints, casual images would be totally fine.

Apr 27, 2017 at 09:27 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Walk around lens for A7ii

justruss wrote:
A few points:

If you're worried about the 24-70, I don't think you're going to be happy with the 24-240. Seriously. The superzoom is a mediocre lens.

The 50 f/1.8 has a very flawed AF system for 2017. It's loud, it's slow, and it can end up hunting in difficult situations or moderate light. A real pity, because the imaging characteristics and size of the lens are great. This one is already screaming for a $349 mk2 w/ a new AF design.

If you want to stay small, primes are a good way to go. The 28mm f/2 is great for
...Show more

the superzoom is very decent for what it is, same with the 50, which has had firmware updates for AF speed, which I didnt see as such a huge issue when shooting my kids. It's definitely not FE 55 speed, but it's in between that and the canon 85L. Saying it's loud is like saying the 85GM is loud.... that was kind of overblown when it first came out.

attached are some samples, no sharpening added, and while I understand they arent as sharp as primes or high end zooms I have, I dont want to fiddle with changing lenses when I'm pushing a stroller when taking these shots

24-240 + A7rii

24-240 + A7rii

24-240 + A7rii

24-240 + A7rii

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM
angelIV

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Thank you all, I did get the kit with the 28-70mm, I shoot with my trusted Ef 24-105 l as a walk around lens and sigma art 18 - 35 1.8 I'm always around 24 - 35 mm giving Sony a try for it in cam stabilization I have shaken hands. Hoping I can use a converter like metabones to use my canon lens I do have some primes.
I'll use the kit for now and try to save for the 80 ir 85mm I'll check on the 35mm and 24mm.
My a7ii will b my main walk around and vacation camera Disney out of state, for sports and portraits I'll still have to see how it measure up to my 7d on the af,
Thank you all. Hopeful that since the a9 is launch Sony will release more affordable lenses comparable focal lengths as canon and that more lenses will be launch by sigma and tamaron that don't need any converter.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM
angelIV

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Walk around lens for A7ii

That's my main reason why I went with Sony a7ii rather than upgrading to the 7d2 or mkiii 5d.
With a 2 year old, pushing a stroller, canon is getting really heavy sp walking around Disney!! The 18-35 art 7d combo is really hurting my shoulders lol I do hope I made the right decision on getting a7ii rather than 5d mkiii 😀

Charlie N wrote:
the superzoom is very decent for what it is, same with the 50, which has had firmware updates for AF speed, which I didnt see as such a huge issue when shooting my kids. It's definitely not FE 55 speed, but it's in between that and the canon 85L. Saying it's loud is like saying the 85GM is loud.... that was kind of overblown when it first came out.

attached are some samples, no sharpening added, and while I understand they arent as sharp as primes or high end zooms I have, I dont want to fiddle with changing lenses
...Show more

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM
angelIV

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Also the 16-35 mm is catching my eye I hope it's with in my budget. Its the perfect focal length for my shooting. Is it a native ff?

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Walk around lens for A7ii

angelIV wrote:
Also the 16-35 mm is catching my eye I hope it's with in my budget. Its the perfect focal length for my shooting. Is it a native ff?

it's native FF, and quite frankly, in a different league. I know people say it's weaker at the long end, but hell, my copy is sharp through the whole range. was dubbed a "sharp" copy from a member here and indeed, it's really sharp wide open all focal lengths. I'm guessing ticked down a stop or two, it would likely give most primes a run for their money.

35 + 85 is another combo option that I'll use more for family stuff, if I'm at a home or something like that. Probably wont use at an amusement park or something like that. I've got a few yearly memberships and I wont be using the primes there because I'm dependent on the long end for those places, where 200 is barely enough.

size comparison for an idea

fe 85, canon 24-70ii adapted, fe 24-240, fe 16-35, fe 35 (excuse the poor cell phone pic)

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:41 PM
angelIV

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Walk around lens for A7ii

Thanks for the reply, love ur set up what adapter do you use for the 24-70 I have a 50 1.4 and 24-105 that I want to use how's the af? As of now the16-35 is out of my price range will be looking at for sale forum and eBay for one that's with in my budget
Charlie N wrote:
it's native FF, and quite frankly, in a different league. I know people say it's weaker at the long end, but hell, my copy is sharp through the whole range. was dubbed a "sharp" copy from a member here and indeed, it's really sharp wide open all focal lengths. I'm guessing ticked down a stop or two, it would likely give most primes a run for their money.

35 + 85 is another combo option that I'll use more for family stuff, if I'm at a home or something like that. Probably wont use at an amusement park or something
...Show more

Apr 27, 2017 at 02:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.