New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

Bill Hollinger
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

AutoFocus Comparison Video: Sony Alpha a9 Vs. Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - start at 3:40

This is the only new part (starting at 3:40 - the rest is primarily chatter, which I don't understand)

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:19 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

Yep, if the photographer is so useless he can't even keep a large zone on the large human being then I'm not surprised with those results. A professional sports photographer would have no issues keeping the 1DX's Zone on that player. My conclusion....Sony A9 better for soccer moms with no skills in tracking a subject.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:17 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

...and most pro-soccer photographers don't use Zone, instead it's usually a single point.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:40 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

But Geoff, if a soccer mom could do it with the A9, could you imagine the keeper rate a pro would get with the same camera ?

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

No doctor degree required to shoot MILC

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

My joking aside, I think this system looks pretty amazing.

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:53 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

Yeah, I saw the video before. The big test, however, will be when the camera has to track a player amongst a lot of other player, where some will cut in front of him/her for a moment. THose are the types of scenarios where the photographer, the AF system options and the AF tracking abilities all has to come together.

There will be a lot of reviews out today, but I would pay attention to those that are used to shoot action/sport when evaluating the A9 AF capabilities.

Another reason to be a bit cautious is that some reviewers will probably expect the A9 AF System to behave like a Canon or Nikon, but it will take a bit of quality time to know it and get the best out of it.

JUst something to keep in mind.

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:22 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF Comparison Video, A9 vs 1Dx MK II

arbitrage wrote:
... My conclusion....Sony A9 better for soccer moms with no skills in tracking a subject.

I know that you are halfway joking, but if the AF system on the A9 will be that "easy" to use, reviewers are gonna rave about it. Dpreview has been all over Sony (and to some extent Nikon) for their automatic AF Tracking abilities, while being down on Canon. Yet most sport shooters use Canon. So brace yourself!

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:28 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.