New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus Pen E-P5 vs. E-PL7

iKokomo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus Pen E-P5 vs. E-PL7

I have a decent collection of Micro Four Thirds lenses (because I use a BMPCC) and I would like to have a camera on vacations that is more portable than my SLRs but still has the Micro Four Thirds sensor. I have borrowed my mom's Olympus Pen E-PL1 and I love that thing! 
I was talked out of getting a Yi M1 here on the forums which is great! So as I look at getting another camera I see that Olympus Pen E-P5 vs. E-PL7 are about the same price today.

But my second questions is: What are the differences between the E-P5 vs. E-PL7? Which one would you recommend between these two models and why? 

Thanks! 

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:12 PM
InlawBiker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus Pen E-P5 vs. E-PL7

I always wanted an E-P5 but they were very expensive for a while. Instead I bought a refurbished E-PL6 directly from Olympus during one of their big sales, along with kit lens and viewfinder.

Then one day an E-P5 turned up on the B&S board so I snapped it up, selling the PL6. I figured it was a good trade.

In retrospect it wasn't the best trade. The E-P5 is a nicer feeling camera with more features. The PL is smaller and lighter than the E-P5 and takes pretty much the same photos.

There was also one silly feature I liked about the E-PL6 that the E-P5 lacked - you can set the MySet (preset memory settings) to the mode dial.

E-P5 has MySet, but I could not assign a MySet to any of the PASM modes. The PL let me do it.

Anyway, if you value small size then the PL cameras are great. I somewhat preferred the smaller size of the E-PL6, and the PL7 is about the same size.

May 03, 2017 at 02:56 PM
jcw1982
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus Pen E-P5 vs. E-PL7

I had an E-PL7, and the E-P3, which was of course the predecessor to the E-P5. Before I bought the PL 7 I thought about buying the E-P5. However at the time I didn't think there were enough advantages to justify the extra expense of the E-P5. End the end I was very happy with the PL 7 and don't feel I missed much by choosing it over the E-P5. The price being about the same today I could easily go for either one. I would probably go with the E P5 because of a little more size and ergonomics. Other photo websites review cameras in detail, you can always do a comparison there. This probably wasn't much help but let me know if there is something specific you want to know.

May 03, 2017 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password