FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

According to UPS, B&H sent the package with paperwork showing that the taxes and customs charges were to be paid by the receiver (me) despite the fact that they had already collected these fees from me at the time of order.

Now the shipment is stuck in a UPS warehouse somewhere, so it looks like this shipping fiasco has cost me US$380.

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:34 PM
henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Web No: 1045454400
I'd like to see a copy of that paperwork so I can show it to our shipping dept manager. Our order entry system shows the two ordered items plus brokerage, GST & PST There was no s&h fee.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:43 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
I'd like to see a copy of that paperwork so I can show it to our shipping dept manager. Our order entry system shows the two ordered items plus brokerage, GST & PST There was no s&h fee.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

I received no paperwork from UPS - you will have to contact them to get a copy.

I tried to explain to the various people at UPS who kept calling me that I had already paid these charges to B&H, but they insist that the paperwork with the shipment indicated I was responsible for those charges.

I advised UPS that I was not willing to pay these fees again and that they should contact B&H to get the paperwork straightened out. They would not do that so I refused the package. According to the tracking information, UPS transferred the package to a warehouse where it has been sitting ever since.

Your contacts at UPS should be able to verify all of this information. If it is correct, then the error was on the part of the B&H shipping department and you need to rectify it with UPS or refund my money. If I was given incorrect information by the three different UPS people that called me (which I think is more likely), your contacts at UPS should be able to correct the issue on their side and get the package delivered to me at no additional charge (as promised).

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:17 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Unless I'm mistaken (always possible) this is the same transaction we discussed during June. Nothing I said then has changed. Our customer service department is aware of this. They've asked UPS to return the package to us and will process your refund after receiving their reply.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:34 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

I finally received my partial refund - about C$50 less than I paid thanks to the currency exchange fees, plus I lost all the B&H Rewards credits I used to pay of a portion of the order... so I'm out about C$90 in total - about 1/4 of the value of my order - all thanks to B&H and UPS.

It's my own fault, I guess... I really should have known better than to order anything from B&H after they starting using shady UPS shipping again.

Jul 17, 2017 at 03:19 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Just an update on this older thread. It appears that B&H no longer offers the option to collect and remit duties and taxes for Canadian purchasers. The only option is to have UPS collect fees and taxes from the Canadian buyer when delivered.

Too bad buying from B&H has come to this. Bought lots of stuff from B&H over the years and it looks like no more.

Jan 05, 2018 at 09:03 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Are you sure?

It (free shipping and pre-paid customs) is available to me as of a moment ago. (Total purchase >US$100, in stock items, shipping to Toronto.)

Jan 05, 2018 at 11:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

It definitely is confusing having Henry P from B&H answering these questions about Canadian deliveries when Henry's from Toronto seems to be the best place from which to buy gear if you live in Canada. I imagine since I don't live in Canada, that the issue eternally has to do with getting the best possible price for gear. The formula has to do with gear price, transportation cost and when crossing the border, customs fees and currency transaction fees. I don't blame those who are transfixed by great prices from U.S. vendors. I also don't blame folks for trying to squeeze as hard as they can to get the best price for everything. But sometimes, getting from here to there carries with it costs that simply can't be avoided. B&H will never be able to solve all of everyone's problems with international transactions. I think Cliff and his Canadian friends will simply have to accept the reality that they must pay MORE to indulge their creative wishes. Good luck everyone.

Jan 06, 2018 at 04:07 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Canadians already pay way more for our creative wishes through sales tax, US exchange and any other creative money making scheme UPS tacks on. Don't expect to get gear for free. Just abide by the policies noted on B&H's website. No problem buying >$100 to get free shipping either.

My beef is having my creative juices satisfied when the doorbell rings and the guy standing in front of me wants more money for hrokerage fees plus, plus. I've bought from B&H before and my buying experiences were great, hassle-free....not now.

lara_clk....I tried a few items at different prices with some more than $100 and got the same result. No option to let B&H pay duties and taxes on my behalf. YMMV but, these are my experiences as of today.

I have bought gear from Henry's many times over the years. Would luv to have discussion with henryp from B&H.

Jan 06, 2018 at 05:45 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

CGrindahl wrote:
....Henry's from Toronto seems to be the best place from which to buy gear if you live in Canada.

No offense intended, or offense taken, BUT, have you tried buying a filter from Henry's?

I live within driving distance of 5 Henry's (including its flagship store and its outlet store). B&H is still my "go to" store when I need anything photo or computer. ("Go to" doesn't mean exclusive.)

Jan 06, 2018 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pmbpro

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

mogud wrote:
Just an update on this older thread. It appears that B&H no longer offers the option to collect and remit duties and taxes for Canadian purchasers. The only option is to have UPS collect fees and taxes from the Canadian buyer when delivered.

Too bad buying from B&H has come to this. Bought lots of stuff from B&H over the years and it looks like no more.

Wow. I don't even like using UPS domestically, much less for international delivery. I gave them too many chances a few years ago, and they still screwed things up regarding delivery service. I haven't used them since. I don't care if it's a $20 product from Amazon. UPS will not be touching any of my packages again. IMO, the shipping arm is part of the overall customer/purchasing experience, and UPS has consistently ruined that for me. So for me anyway, it's not just about the prices of B&H products or paying brokerage fees.

lara_ckl wrote:
I live within driving distance of 5 Henry's (including its flagship store and its outlet store). B&H is still my "go to" store when I need anything photo or computer. ("Go to" doesn't mean exclusive.)

Same here. I've bought from Henry's as well (and Vistek too), as I'm less than a 1/2 hour from a couple of their stores, but I haven't bought many 'big ticket' items in a very long time.

Jan 07, 2018 at 03:23 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

lara_ckl wrote:
Are you sure?

It (free shipping and pre-paid customs) is available to me as of a moment ago. (Total purchase >US$100, in stock items, shipping to Toronto.)

My cart no longer offers the choice of pre-paid customs charges either, as of yesterday morning.

I had finally started buying from B&H again, after they had gotten their previous UPS problems (paperwork issues at the B&H shipping department) sorted out; I don't know why it is, but they just can't seem to keep their international sales system on track for very long.

It was kind of amusing tracking the progress of my UPS shipments... I live about 25 minutes away from the closest UPS depot, but for the parcels to reach me, UPS would hire Purolator to take them to the post office and mail them to me by Canada Post. It amazes me how anyone could offer this level of shipping service for "free"!

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:02 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

CGrindahl wrote:
I think Cliff and his Canadian friends will simply have to accept the reality that they must pay MORE to indulge their creative wishes.

Fortunately, it's mostly small things, like batteries and memory cards and the odd piece of used gear, that are tempting to buy from B&H so the extra charges and dubious fees are just an irritant.

The big-ticket items (like new Nikon gear) are still selling around 20% cheaper in Canada than in the USA.

Jan 07, 2018 at 06:31 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

B&H rep on LiveChat said that their "system that calculates the custom charges to Canada is currently down and we are not currently offering the prepaid service." And that they are "currently working on it, hopefully it is fixed within the day or two."

We shall see.

Jan 08, 2018 at 03:31 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

mogud wrote:

The system is unavailable briefly due to a technical problem, but is being restored. We regret the inconvenience.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 08, 2018 at 04:30 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
The system is unavailable briefly due to a technical problem, but is being restored. We regret the inconvenience.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Thank you, Henry; I was able to successfully complete my order.

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:25 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

System is back up. My order also went through. Thanks Henry.

Now, when will B&H start accepting Bitcoins?

Jan 08, 2018 at 11:13 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

lara_ckl wrote:
System is back up. My order also went through. Thanks Henry.

Now, when will B&H start accepting Bitcoins?

Or the original cryptocurrency, Canadian Tire Money?

Jan 09, 2018 at 03:28 PM
Ko.Fe.

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Changing two choices shipping method to one and very crappy one without notification is bad practice. I did not received any e-mails or notifications.

With Purolator I was receiving orders in two days. Now with crappy UPS it is more than one week and counting. Order #1048983726.

At the end it is BH lack of compassion for Canadian market. I guess, we are insignificant on the profit for BH. If in opposite, the only move then Porulator stopped helping with UPS disaster was to switch to USPS-Canada Post in addition to bad UPS service . Canada Post is slow, but reliable and here is no UPS sub-charges.

Jan 09, 2018 at 06:48 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Ko.Fe. wrote:
At the end it is BH lack of compassion for Canadian market. I guess, we are insignificant on the profit for BH.

I am sorry you have this misapprehension. In fact Canada and our Canadian customers are very important to us. We originally developed our "Fast and easy pre-pay" system to handle cross-border fees to accommodate customers from Canada. We used Purolator in order to offer Canadian customers more shipping options and only stopped when customer feedback told us they'd become insufficiently reliable.

For the order you cited, with "Fast and easy pre-pay" shipping is via Canada direct and the ETA is 4-9 business days. If you elected not to use "Fast and easy pre-pay" you could have used Canada direct, DHL, FedEx or USPS as the shipper. The speediest FedEx option had an ETA of 2-3 business days.

BTW we received 1048983726 on Sat Dec 31. A the time the item was not in stock and we advised the ETA was 7-10 business days. We received it and shipped your order on Jan 3rd. The eastern USA up to Maine was then hit by a "bomb cyclone: which disrupted shipping for several days. UPS now reports they expect to deliver this today. We regret any inconvenience.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 09, 2018 at 07:00 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password