FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2017 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Bubble wrote:
$54 for custom fee.. damn.. Actually, that would be the same range for us to ship to you guys up there via USPS priority anyway... Don't understand why the cost to ship to Canada keep going up..

Cliff, get a mail box at the US border, drive there and pick up.

Alex, people keep suggesting that, but it would cost me about $185 in ferry fees, plus half a day travel time each way (not to mention fuel, tolls, parking, food, etc. for the day) even though I can see the USA from the end of my street...

Canadian stores have better prices at the moment, plus they offer free shipping and don't charge the customs fees (or PST) Case in point - the new Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm f4 lens I just bought from a dealer in eastern Canada cost me C$1280.95 including tax. The same lens from B&H would cost me C$1723 and change at the current exchange rate - so I saved around 35% buying in Canada - and the lens got here at least a week faster.

May 16, 2017 at 07:23 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Good grief, with deals like that, why the hell ever consider buying from US?

May 16, 2017 at 08:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

anthonysemone wrote:

It depends on exactly what you're looking for. Consider the Zeiss Apo Sonnar 135mm f/2 ZE, for example. The best price in Canada has been about $3000 CA, for some time. It's been $1500 US ($2000 CA) at B&H, over the same time (pre-tax prices).

May 17, 2017 at 07:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

jcolwell wrote:
It depends on exactly what you're looking for. Consider the Zeiss Apo Sonnar 135mm f/2 ZE, for example. The best price in Canada has been about $3000 CA, for some time. It's been $1500 US ($2000 CA) at B&H, over the same time (pre-tax prices).

Could the wonky prices be because that lens was discontinued? The current version is CA$2,999 in Canada (plus taxes) and just over CA$3,078 at B&H (plus taxes, brokerage, and shipping)

May 17, 2017 at 07:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

anthonysemone wrote:

jcolwell wrote:

molson wrote:
Could the wonky prices be because that lens was discontinued? ...

Yes, or sure. I timed it perfectly for the MP 100/2 ZE, getting $250 off the approx. 30% off sale price, plus a 2 year warranty from Zeiss (1 year extension). I was hoping to pull that off for the 135/2 ZE, but I got distracted by some Leica M/LTM lenses.

May 17, 2017 at 09:24 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

jcolwell wrote:
Yes, or sure. I timed it perfectly for the MP 100/2 ZE, getting $250 off the approx. 30% off sale price, plus a 2 year warranty from Zeiss (1 year extension). I was hoping to pull that off for the 135/2 ZE, but I got distracted by some Leica M/LTM lenses.

Squirrel!

May 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Well, I decided to try B&H's new UPS "free" shipping service to Canada on the weekend, and unfortunately, it didn't turn out well...

B&H collected both the federal GST and the BC provincial sales tax on my order up front, plus a token $1 for brokerage when I checked out. Then this afternoon I got a call from UPS asking if I wanted them to clear the package through Customs for me, and wanting to know how I planned to pay for the duties, taxes, and brokerage fees owing... I tried explaining to the UPS lady that those fees had all been paid in advance, but she ignored me and stuck to her script. She kept insisting I would have to pay the fees if I wanted my package, so I gave up and told her to return it to B&H.

I called B&H Customer Service immediately afterward to let them know the package was on its way back, and the customer service supervisor said I was the fifth or sixth person from Canada who called today to report the same issue.

It looks like nothing has changed with UPS shipping, so unless B&H can go back to Purolator or reasonably-priced USPS shipping, I won't be able to make any more purchases there.

Jun 21, 2017 at 04:23 PM
henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
Well, I decided to try B&H's new UPS "free" shipping service to Canada on the weekend, and unfortunately, it didn't turn out well...

I found your order and forwarded it with your comments here to our shipping dept manager. Either there's an explanation or there's a glitch we need to address. When I know more, you will as well.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 22, 2017 at 09:35 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
I called B&H Customer Service immediately afterward to let them know the package was on its way back, and the customer service supervisor said I was the fifth or sixth person from Canada who called today to report the same issue.

Our shipping manager advised me that if you'd called us before telling UPS to return the package we have contacts at UPS to deal with these things and could have resolved this for you. Calling us after telling UPS to send it back tied our hands. He also said you should provide power of attorney to UPS, limited to this issue. If you're a business, UPS also needs your BN number. You need to authorize UPS to act as your agent. You cannot do this via B&H now. The customer is the importer of record.

For an individual, not a business, if the order is <2500.00, UPS won't bother you. For a business, they'll reach out to you every time.

Finally he said "We’re working on the global issue."

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
He also said you should provide power of attorney to UPS, limited to this issue.

Sorry, but giving crooks like UPS power of attorney over anything is downright stupid...

For an individual, not a business, if the order is <2500.00, UPS won't bother you. For a business, they'll reach out to you every time.

So because I operate a small business, I would have to deal with this stupidity every time I order from B&H now? That's a shame, because I will not deal with UPS, period.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
So because I operate a small business, I would have to deal with this stupidity every time I order from B&H now? That's a shame, because I will not deal with UPS, period.

As an experiment I put an item valued at $110.00 into a shopping cart and chose "I'll handle it myself" for the customs clearance option. Shipping vendor options then included DHL, FedEx, & Priority Mail. You do not have to deal with UPS if that's your preference.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
As an experiment I put an item valued at $110.00 into a shopping cart and chose "I'll handle it myself" for the customs clearance option. Shipping vendor options then included DHL, FedEx, & Priority Mail. You do not have to deal with UPS if that's your preference.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Unfortunately, any of those shipping choices, with their inflated costs, makes buying from B&H too expensive. I like shopping at B&H, but not enough that I want to pay higher than local prices. Besides, UPS does not provide delivery service in my area anyway, so they would just take my packages to the post office and mail them to me anyway.

I'm really curious as to why you stopped shipping to Canada by Purolator? They weren't perfect, but they were an order of magnitude better than UPS...

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:07 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
I'm really curious as to why you stopped shipping to Canada by Purolator? They weren't perfect, but they were an order of magnitude better than UPS...

They were far from perfect and weren't getting any closer to perfect as time went on. They began to become more expensive too. We use UPS in the USA and have for some time. They're not prefect either but they're better and they're more responsive to what we require of them.

BTW, you can avoid almost all the inconvenience by removing your company name form the ship-to address. As I said earlier, for an individual, not a business, if the order is <2500.00, UPS won't bother you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:10 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

You might want to correct this statement, which currently displays on your web site under "Shipping to Canada", since it is obviously not true:

Guaranteed Landed Cost
Choose Pre-Pay Duties & Tax,
no additional charges at delivery.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
You might want to correct this statement, which currently displays on your web site under "Shipping to Canada", since it is obviously not true:

Guaranteed Landed Cost
Choose Pre-Pay Duties & Tax,
no additional charges at delivery.

For an individual, not a business, if the order is <2500.00, UPS won't bother you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
For an individual, not a business, if the order is <2500.00, UPS won't bother you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Fair enough, but then your promise of "no additional charges at delivery" should include an appropriate disclaimer, so as not to mislead professional photographers or other small business owners.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

As I said earlier, our shipping "guru" said Finally he said "We’re working on the global issue."

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM
pmbpro

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:

It looks like nothing has changed with UPS shipping, so unless B&H can go back to Purolator or reasonably-priced USPS shipping, I won't be able to make any more purchases there.

Sorry that happened to you. As I started reading your post, my gut told me that some crap was going to happen, with UPS. I cannot stand them. I don't even use them within Canadian borders. As far as I'm concerned, the shipping is part of the purchasing experience, and UPS has choked it too many times for me. I've had far too many problems with them, gave them too many chances, and I never want them gracing my doorstep ever again for any reason. I've switched vendors/suppliers because of them, and I've let the vendors know exactly why.

Anyway, good luck with your shipments!

Jun 26, 2017 at 06:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

pmbpro wrote:
Sorry that happened to you. As I started reading your post, my gut told me that some crap was going to happen, with UPS. I cannot stand them. I don't even use them within Canadian borders. As far as I'm concerned, the shipping is part of the purchasing experience, and UPS has choked it too many times for me. I've had far too many problems with them, gave them too many chances, and I never want them gracing my doorstep ever again for any reason. I've switched vendors/suppliers because of them, and I've let the vendors know exactly why.

Anyway, good
...Show more

Well, it's a moot point now - I won't be getting any more shipments from B&H as long as they continue to use UPS for shipping to Canada.

Jun 26, 2017 at 08:40 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

This is not good news about Purolator and UPS shipping to Canada. I will also stop buying from B&H if UPS is involved. Too bad because I had no issues with Purolator. I'll have to resort to shipping to my US address which doesn't enthuse me.

So much for any future B&H buying.

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.