New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

I just spent the morning chatting with some B&H customer service reps trying to find out why shipping charges were being added at checkout even though my order cart said "Free shipping to Canada on this order" across the top of the page.

It turns out that Purolator is no longer providing "free" customs-cleared shipping to Canada - if you want them to collect the taxes and duties in advance, you have to pay a shipping charge in addition to the standard brokerage fees, disbursement fees, and security & handling charges, or else choose free shipping (by an undisclosed carrier) and then deal with the taxes and surprise customs clearance fees when the package arrives. I chose the latter - I will post an update when the package arrives so others can know what to expect.

Apparently this change was just implemented in the last day or so - the order I placed on April 24 still had free Purolator shipping to Canada.

EDIT:

B&H has dropped Purolator and is now using UPS shipping to Canada again, so Canadian shoppers beware -the phoney UPS "duty & brokerage fees" scams are back again (see the posts on page 3 of this thread).

Edited on Aug 04, 2017 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2017 at 03:01 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

For a Canadian shopper, "free" shipping AND per-determined customs fees are the main distinctions between B&H and Adorama. IMO, not a wise move on B&H's part.

Also, they need to remove the "free shipping to Canada" banner that is on their website. It is even on top of the checkout page, twice, even though I have to pay $40+ ("starting from") for shipping.

Disappointed.

Top of my checkout page.

Same checkout page showing shipping charges.

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:43 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

lara_ckl wrote:
For a Canadian shopper, "free" shipping AND per-determined customs fees are the main distinctions between B&H and Adorama. IMO, not a wise move on B&H's part.

Also, they need to remove the "free shipping to Canada" banner that is on their website. It is even on top of the checkout page, twice, even though I have to pay $40+ ("starting from") for shipping.

Disappointed.

Apparently this was a decision by Purolator, and not B&H... but I did suggest they stop the Free Shipping banner ads or explain the shipping choices better.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:19 PM
henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
I just spent the morning chatting with some B&H customer service reps trying to find out why shipping charges were being added at checkout even though my order cart said "Free shipping to Canada on this order" across the top of the page.

It turns out that Purolator is no longer providing "free" customs-cleared shipping to Canada - if you want them to collect the taxes and duties in advance, you have to pay a shipping charge in addition to the standard brokerage fees, disbursement fees, and security & handling charges, or else choose free shipping (by an undisclosed carrier) and
...Show more

I am sorry for the confusion. First, Purolator NEVER provided "free" customs-cleared shipping to Canada -- it's been from B&H all along.

Second, our shipping to Canada protocol is unchanged. If an item had free shipping Apr 1st, it has free shipping today. We are aware there's a recent implementation error charging shipping when we should not. We're working on correcting this. In the mean time a shipping manager is hand-inspecting all recent orders to Canada and issuing s&h refunds manually whenever called for.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:06 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
I am sorry for the confusion. First, Purolator NEVER provided "free" customs-cleared shipping to Canada -- it's been from B&H all along.

Second, our shipping to Canada protocol is unchanged. If an item had free shipping Apr 1st, it has free shipping today. We are aware there's a recent implementation error charging shipping when we should not. We're working on correcting this. In the mean time a shipping manager is hand-inspecting all recent orders to Canada and issuing s&h refunds manually whenever called for.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Thanks, Henry - I was just going by what I was told by the B&H reps this morning.

B&H Rep: "I added the lens and clicked on pay duty tax on delivery and it came up free for the lens. So there are items that are no longer free and it is a change I have been told that was just changed today."
B&H Rep: "It is a change with Purolator."

I guess I had better try to cancel the order I subsequently placed using the other shipping option...

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:08 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
I guess I had better try to cancel the order I subsequently placed using the other shipping option...

Email the order info to me and tell me how you want it to be.
BTW, Can you help us ID the rep who spoke with you. We'd like to make sure he's up on what is what.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Edited on Apr 26, 2017 at 06:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:17 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

PS We're actually in the process of EXPANDING our free-shipping-to-Canada options to include orders without Prepaid Duties. If the order qualifies for Free Shipping to Canada, there will be options both with and without prepaid duties. This should go into effect later today or Thursday.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:20 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

lara_ckl wrote:

Disappointed.

No, that is correct; Adorama does not use Purolator - we use Bilsi!! - have done for years.......

https://www.adorama.com/help/InternationalOrders
Shipping to Canada
Adorama offers Hassle free shipping to Canada. By using our service and prepaying all Canadian VAT and duties we are able to expedite your order through customs. The final price you pay at checkout will include all cross border brokerage fees and taxes. You will not be responsible for any additional charges. Adorama makes every attempt to obtain the most current tax classifications and rates to determine the correct VAT and duties. Duties and taxes are calculated based on HST, PST, GST, NAFTA and the individual product classification.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Edited on Jul 04, 2017 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:45 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Speaking of shipping to Canada:

You Can No Longer Buy Skippy Peanut Butter in Canada

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 04, 2017 at 06:12 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

I see the Canada shipping changes have now been implemented; the "free" shipping now costs $54 on a $175 item - ouch!

May 05, 2017 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

henryp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
I see the Canada shipping changes have now been implemented; the "free" shipping now costs $54 on a $175 item - ouch!

Customs clearance is $54.00. Shipping's free. Blame your government for import fees, duty, tax, customs, etc.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 05, 2017 at 04:41 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
Customs clearance is $54.00. Shipping's free. Blame your government for import fees, duty, tax, customs, etc.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Well, the only legitimate charges on that particular item would be GST at 5%, or $8.75

All of the other charges are courtesy of B&H and/or Purolator, not the government.

May 05, 2017 at 05:32 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

molson wrote:
All of the other charges are courtesy of B&H and/or Purolator, not the government.

We don't set the amounts; we collect but don't get to keep the money.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 05, 2017 at 05:48 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
We don't set the amounts; we collect but don't get to keep the money.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

I find it very strange that you would go to the trouble and expense of voluntarily registering to collect BC provincial sales tax, when you are not required to.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-001-registering-to-collect-pst.pdf

May 07, 2017 at 05:30 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

B&H is no longer using Purolator for shipping to Canada. Beginning immediately shipping vendors include UPS, FedEx, DHL Express, DHL Ecommerce.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 10, 2017 at 04:34 PM
kkibrisli

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

henryp wrote:
B&H is no longer using Purolator for shipping to Canada. Beginning immediately shipping vendors include UPS, FedEx, DHL Express, DHL Ecommerce.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

These couriers are notorious in charging high brokerage fees for shipments to Canada as you can see in the example above. We are not talking about customs fees and taxes here, we are talking about fees that courier companies charge to process the paperwork. Free shipping is easily offset by these brokerage fees and defeats the purpose IMHO.

USPS shipment are delivered by CandaPost which charges a small amount for clearing the customs and is the preferred option for me for shipments to Canada. I personally would not buy from vendors who insist on using UPS/FedEx only.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It seems like B&H is still fine tuning the fee structure. When I tried to place my order earlier this week Customs Fees included substantial amount of brokerage fees (Disbursement+ Security&Handling+Carrier Surcharge). Now when I checked all these fees are gone. There is only $1 brokerage fee and the rest is GST+PST+Customs. In my previous orders I was not charged PST either (only GST). This is another change that took effect recently on B&H orders.

May 12, 2017 at 02:40 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

kkibrisli wrote:
EDIT: I stand corrected. It seems like B&H is still fine tuning the fee structure. When I tried to place my order earlier this week Customs Fees included substantial amount of brokerage fees (Disbursement+ Security&Handling+Carrier Surcharge). Now when I checked all these fees are gone. There is only $1 brokerage fee and the rest is GST+PST+Customs. In my previous orders I was not charged PST either (only GST). This is another change that took effect recently on B&H orders.

Thank you. We may not be perfect ... yet ... but we strive daily to improve.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 12, 2017 at 01:29 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

$54 for custom fee.. damn.. Actually, that would be the same range for us to ship to you guys up there via USPS priority anyway... Don't understand why the cost to ship to Canada keep going up..

Cliff, get a mail box at the US border, drive there and pick up.

May 13, 2017 at 03:23 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

Bubble wrote:
$54 for custom fee.. damn..

You're looking at obsolete data. The same item, to the same destination, this morning:

Details of Customs Clearance
GST: $8.75
PST: $12.25
Brokerage: $1.00
Total: $22.00

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 15, 2017 at 02:02 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Warning - B&H Now Using UPS Shipping to Canada

kkibrisli wrote:
These couriers are notorious in charging high brokerage fees for shipments to Canada as you can see in the example above. We are not talking about customs fees and taxes here, we are talking about fees that courier companies charge to process the paperwork. Free shipping is easily offset by these brokerage fees and defeats the purpose IMHO.

USPS shipment are delivered by CandaPost which charges a small amount for clearing the customs and is the preferred option for me for shipments to Canada. I personally would not buy from vendors who insist on using UPS/FedEx only.

EDIT: I stand corrected.
...Show more

Oh well, B&H's prices have gotten too high to buy from them now anyway, even before the switch back to the old dishonest courier companies...

May 17, 2017 at 12:13 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password