New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

Sener
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

Hello,

The VL looks like an enjoyable lens with all the funky characteristics like field of curvature (which can be utilized to emphasize a subject at mid distances, from what I gather) but it has poor MFD.

The FE on the other hand is a little bit more corrected, but the distortion and vignette is a bit excessive. The rendering doesn't look all that exciting either.

Is there anyone who compared the two lenses, or at least used both at different times? How do you compare them? This is for use on a Sony A7x camera.

Thank you.

Apr 26, 2017 at 03:02 AM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

The FE 28/2 is underrated and, although its stated minimum focus distance is 29cm, in MF mode it focuses as close as 20cm. I have a bunch of excellent 28mm lenses -- including the Elmarit-R 28/2.8 V2, Distagon C/Y 28/2.8, and UC-Hexanon AR 28/1.8 -- and I like the FE a lot. You should read Phillip Reeve's review before writing it off. The CV's "poor MFD" can be rectified with a helicoid adapter.

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:07 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

Sener wrote:
Hello,

The VL looks like an enjoyable lens with all the funky characteristics like field of curvature (which can be utilized to emphasize a subject at mid distances, from what I gather) but it has poor MFD.

The FE on the other hand is a little bit more corrected, but the distortion and vignette is a bit excessive. The rendering doesn't look all that exciting either.

Is there anyone who compared the two lenses, or at least used both at different times? How do you compare them? This is for use on a Sony A7x camera.

Thank you.

What features do you have in mind with respect to 'rendering' with a 28mm lens?

With normal and longer lenses people are often referring to the appearance of The bokeh.

But with a 28, and a sharp one at that, I can't see how the rendering can be much of an issue,
Sometimes people mean (assuming there's no much LaCA and most of the image is in focus) contrast features (which can to a degree be changed in post). But the FE is as contrasty as those others,,,

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:18 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

I've not used (or been interested in) the Voigtlander, but can say the Sony FE 28/2 is a highly underrated lens. I still use it frequently, and it has easily corrected distortion using LR lens profile. A very clean imaging lens, IMO. And a real bargain. Plus, it's AF, which is a real convenience when desired (I have plenty of Alt MF lenses, don't need another one!).

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:47 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander Ultron 2/28 vs Sony FE 2/28

I agree, the FE 28/2 is underrated. The distortion has never been an issue for me - sometimes I correct it, other times I don't bother. I would have preferred an MF lens, but given the size/weight, cost, wide open sharpness, and stopped down performance the FE 28 is a no brainer for me. Very nice bokeh for a wide angle, some LoCA there but not too bad, and I quite enjoy the look. It doesn't have the microcontrast of the CY Zeiss 28/2.8, but it's quite sharp.

I looked into the CV 28/2 and CV 28/1.9 but skipped them based on the edge performance and field curvature. I live with a bit of FC on a few lenses I use, but it's (not surprisingly) a bit extreme in the CV 28s. The field curvature is a bigger issue than the easily correctable simple geometric distortion. I'd also take the FE 28's simple geometric distortion over a lens with less but more complicated mustache distortion.

If I wanted a MF alternative to FE 28 without getting too big, heavy, or expensive, I'd be thinking about the New FD 28mm f/2, CY Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 Distagon, or one of the many other nice SLR 28mm f/2.8 lenses out there. The huge Zeiss 28/2s are out of the question for me.

edit: One other big plus of the FE 28 for me is the B&W look. Love the way this lens looks in B&W, somehow it's very rich while still being high contrast in color.

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.