Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

G85 / Pany system right for me?

edepow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera, and the G85 is right up there at the top of my list, competing against the Sony series.

I'm a semi-professional outdoor action sports and lifestyle photographer looking to transition to more full-time work, so I need a body that is well built, weather sealed, has reasonably fast AF, and is compact, light, and multi-purpose to be able to take around with me in the outdoors easily.

I shoot a bit of everything through my work and style – portraits, long exposure night shots, landscapes, action – you name it. Most of the photos I take are used for web, although some are printed as large as 24x36.

In addition to photos, I'm looking to transition to video for mostly run and gun type situations. 4K isn't a necessity for me, but IS is certainly nice, as is a mic-jack, and decent C-AF in video.

The G85 seems to fit all of my requirements, except I'm still wondering if it can be used in a professional setting as effectively as... say, an A6xxx series camera. I know many professional photographers who use the Sony systems professional, and I can't think of many that use the G85 in the same ways. Maybe I'm just not that knowledgeable of the Lumix pros and their uses.

A particularly big hangup for me is the C-AF abilities of the Panasonic, in both stills and video modes. I sometimes shoot fast moving things, such as skiing and mountain biking, and I want the camera to keep up. Video C-AF isn't as important, but so long as it's half decent that'd be nice.

Another big problem for me is my budget. I'm pinching pennies to get a new camera, and while the Sony bodies are within my budget, the lenses are substantially more expensive than m4/3 counterparts. For the price of a G85 kit + 35-100 f/2.8, I'd basically only be able to get an A6500 kit and a nice prime lens. To be honest, if I could afford it I'd probably go the Sony route. I just can't reasonably afford their professional line of lenses at this point in time.

Anyways, sorry to kind of splatter my thoughts in here. Basically, what I'm wondering is – for my needs, is the G85 a good camera? I need reasonably fast C-AF, good video capabilities, and a camera system that I can grow into as I transition to more full-time photography. All without breaking the bank.

Thank you all so much!

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:00 AM
SkippyW

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

For me, sports is the one thing my Panasonics are not great at.

It's all about the viewfinder/mirrorless/lag (as small as it may be) that causes the problems. You may find that with other mirrorless cameras as well. Best to check them out first.

The camera is plenty fast enough with burst modes, but the mirrorless system isn't great for sports/action in my use.

I have a GH3 and G5. I have shot basketball with it, but not for long. Went back to a DSLR for that.

For everything else you mentioned, it's terrific...portraits, landscapes, etc.

Apr 26, 2017 at 02:55 PM
edepow

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

Thanks Skippy for your thoughts!

So - I've shot with all manner of systems. I've shot with both sony and olympus mirrorless and didn't think the blackout was too much of an issue, but I never tried them for sports and was shooting mostly static subjects. Just how bad is the blackout on panny cameras? Would, say, the GH4/GH5 and G80 be better than the GH3 and G5 since they're newer?

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edepow

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

New thought – maybe a GH4 would be more suitable for the time being for the better C-AF. Apart from the in body IS of the G80 and slightly lesser ISO performance that might be a smarter idea for me.

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:49 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

I have the G85 and GX8, but for sports, I'd choose the E-M1. Even the older model outperforms the Panasonics when it comes to AF-C, and that one can be had for very low prices now. The E-M1 II beats them all of course, but I it's rather expensive.

For anything else than sports, Panasonic is just great

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM
edepow

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · G85 / Pany system right for me?

Thanks Jorgen – yea... if only the E-M1 II wasn't 2000 dollars for the body alone! is the G85 passable at least for sports? I shoot 90% outdoors, so theres plenty of available light most of the time. I've heard the G85 C-AF is surprisingly good, at least as good as the GH4 but I have only tested both cameras in static environments.

I've certainly seen alot of images with the G85 and Pany 100-300 shooting birds in flight, so that's somewhat promising.

Apr 27, 2017 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password