New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Back in the Fold...

meatpants
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Back in the Fold...

So, a couple of years ago, I ditched all of my Nikon gear, and went Fuji. My last camera was the X-Pro2, and it truly is a great, and fun camera. Having said that, it isn't an SLR, it isn't a rangefinder, and in the end, like most mirrorless systems, it felt like a toy. A very, very, very nice toy*.

I was able to trade it for a Nikon Df, and I cannot express how glad I am to be back to Nikon- especially the Df. It is such a misunderstood camera, and although not the latest in the lineup, it takes such amazing photos. That D4 sensor is truly magic.

I am slowly going to be building up my lens collection, and for now all I have is a 50mm 1.8 manual lens- couldn't be happier!

Just thought I'd drop this here, as lately, there has been so much negativity thrown towards Nikon... Have a good one!

*- This of course, is my own subjective view point. Your use may vary. I will probably pick up an X-Pro1 at some point in the future.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:46 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back in the Fold...

Glad you enjoy your Nikon DF. Now take some pictures and show them to us.

May 02, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back in the Fold...

Welcome back. I too went Fuji although without leaving Nikon. As much as I like it (X-T1) I feel the same. It just isn't the same user experience as a good SLR. I bought a couple of 1.4 lenses for it and eventually sold them. I kept the X-T1 and the 18-55 kit lens for airline travel but don't use it for much more. The IQ is excellent but the experience just isn't the same other than the convenient size when travelling light. Enjoy your new Nikon.

May 02, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Teak

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Back in the Fold...

Welcome back! Interesting, Thom Hogan too mentions about the experience in his X-T2 review today http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/fujifilm-camera-reviews/fujifilm-x-t2-review.html

May 02, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Back in the Fold...

Heck yes. WELCOME back!

May 02, 2017 at 08:21 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Back in the Fold...

Df rocks

May 02, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Back in the Fold...

a new Df is the one, probably the only one, which would get me back into the Nikon fold. Not that I left exactly, I still have a D3, three AF lenses and four MF lenses, but I just never now shoot Nikon except on film.

In truth I would have sold it all if it were not for the Df which gives me hope for a new Df v2. All I need changed is a really simple thing. I need a changeable screen and a good coarse split screen for decent focus with the manual focus glass I have and would then buy. Thats all! Its perfect in every other way for me. Oh and keep the megapixels down will you Nikon, while I daydream as patiently wait.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Back in the Fold...

Df is sublime...

it does inspire to go out and take photos.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Back in the Fold...

I am itching to sell my D810 to get a Df again. I should do it soon before the D850 comes out. Welcome back!

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:09 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Back in the Fold...

Didn't leave Nikon, but I just got the Df for the size, style, and sensor. It's my new travel cam. Now all you need is a Billingham and a leather case for the Df

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4344/36451121861_fb3d843f82_b.jpg

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:25 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Back in the Fold...

Someone, who I can call a pro, who understands Nikon lineup very well, explain to me, that D4 sensor is a special one, hard to explain. He hasn't used Df, but they share the same sensor. I would've gone for it long time ago, the only thing holding me back was absence of flip back screen. Using xt1 and xt2 made me so spoiled regarding that feature.

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Rob UK
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Back in the Fold...

Im giving serious thought to picking up a Df too, Ive been holding out wondering if Nikon might release an updated version.
I had hoped they might spoil us with something Df like for the 100th anniversary, but seeing as they haven't I might just have to go ahead and get one for the time being.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:19 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Back in the Fold...

Go for it! I got my Df about a year ago and haven't looked back. It's a great camera with a fantastic sensor.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Back in the Fold...

A Df II would be the best Nikon news for me, I'd rather have that than a D850 by a long shot. The Df is so much fun to use.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:11 PM
Banongading

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Back in the Fold...

Did exactly the same, went from X-Pro1 to X-Pro2 via X-T1 and now have a Df and D750.

Love the Df, just such fun to shoot with & the image quality is just sublime. Still have my old X-Pro1 & couple of lenses but never use them!

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Back in the Fold...

I have the chance to buy a Df that has less than 1.000 clicks for $750 and that is a steal but that camera would just sit their as I have already 3 pro bodies but boy, that Df is just eye candy
A friend of mine passed away earlier this year and his wife sold most of his gear with the exception of the Df that she just treasures as a memory to his hobby.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Back in the Fold...

The Df is a wonderful camera and I use it solely with MF-lenses (the viewfinder is very good).
For de big AF-lenses I use other bodies.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:10 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Back in the Fold...

I have almost exactly the same story :

2007, I bought a D80. A nice camera, but after a couple of years, I decided to try something new.

So I got a D300 and a D700. In few years I finally had it. No more big dslr:s. So I got myself a D7000. It was good. But after some three years I began to think about ff again. So I switched the D7000 to a D600. Perfect.

In the meantime I also tried D800, D4 etc. Great cameras.

After another three years my D600 started to feel a bit dated. And a couple of weeks ago, I bought a D750...

Wait, this isn't anything like your story :confused:

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:57 AM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Back in the Fold...

I love my Xt2 but I have to admit, I miss a lot about a slr. Especially the OVF. The EVF just isn't growing on me. Maybe a DF is a good compromise

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.