New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mag mod

Mtm310

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mag mod

Anyone using Mag Mod? Thinking about the wedding kit one. What are your likes and dislikes?

Apr 25, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mag mod

I use Magmods occasionally. Once you get the frikken magnet stretched over the flash head, it's all good from there. I only use the grid and gel attachments, though. No experience with the rest of the line. The only negative I have seen thus far is that once you put the magnet thing over the flash head, the flash won't fit in your flash case that comes with the flash. No big deal if you use your flash(es) every day and don't need the flash case, but you can't really store them in their cases over the long haul. So I wind up taking the magnets off the heads and then reattaching them next time I need them. That gets old. But as I said, they work well in my experience. They make using grids and gels much easier.

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:09 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mag mod

From my experience the hardest part is putting the rubber on the speedlites I love the mods you can throw them on and the align most of the time twist out of the way or remove if you are not going to use it any longer also you can stack most items like the filters and the other mods. I bought about one of each item two of some I think.

Apr 27, 2017 at 02:08 AM
sk66
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mag mod

Mtm310 wrote:
Anyone using Mag Mod? Thinking about the wedding kit one. What are your likes and dislikes?

I wouldn't... IMO that's way too much for stuff you mostly don't need.
How often do you need a snoot? On a fresnel speedlight? Can't make one from paper for that rare occurrence?
The domes are probably the most misused things ever made... thanks Gary!
You get a gel wallet w/o any gels...great.
You do get a bounce hood w/ is probably 1/2 decent, but I prefer a flashbender that can also be warped into a snoot or used as a flag. Or something like a lumiquest quick bounce (flashbenders are easy to knock out of shape between uses). Either one will cost you about $300 less than the MagMod kit.

I did buy a MagMod product... the only one that I think provides reasonable value, the MagBeam. If I did *a lot* of gel work and gel swapping I *might* consider the MagGel, but I would want/need several rings and that's a lot of expense for little real benefit. I get speedlight gels for pennies and can swap them in seconds.

Apr 29, 2017 at 07:38 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mag mod

I have a full set and love them! 4 grids, 4grips and 3 gel holders. 2 spheres, 2 bounces, a snoot and the magbeam. I don't use the snoot much although I can see where it could be useful at some point. I use the MagBeam when I want the flash stand out of the picture (too lazy to clone) - it gives a nice spotlight effect when used "close" in. The bounces haven't seen much use yet, but I think they will when my weddings get going.

The grids and spheres I use all the time, usually together. That seems kinda contradictory (tighten the light only to spread it), but adding the grid does help control the spread of the light. One of those things you have to see I guess. The gel holders just make adding some color easier.

I really like them, but to each his own. I would start small with a grid, grip and sphere and see if you like it.

May 02, 2017 at 07:53 PM
FR_Expat

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mag mod

I've been looking lately into getting a magsphere, for portraits outdoors mainly when you can't really install the whole setup with an umbrella, or when it might be too windy... Not sure yet if it can really be worth it or not. Do you guys have nice examples of shots you took using the sphere?

May 05, 2017 at 11:49 PM
sk66
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mag mod

FR_Expat wrote:
I've been looking lately into getting a magsphere, for portraits outdoors mainly when you can't really install the whole setup with an umbrella, or when it might be too windy... Not sure yet if it can really be worth it or not. Do you guys have nice examples of shots you took using the sphere?

Spheres/domes do nothing but waste power outdoors (and in really large rooms).

Yes, they make the flash head nominally larger... it makes about zero difference.

May 06, 2017 at 08:39 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.