New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Breakthrough Photography goes square

MasonJarr

Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Does anyone else think this has transformed into something completely different than what it started as? Let me say up front I think the BP filters are a great product. I own a CPL and round 6 and 10 stop NDs, presently. I also own a Lee holder and lots of Lee and Singh Ray 100X100 or 100X150 filters. So, I wasn't really looking to get new stuff, but when the buyback offer was announced it seemed to appear that I could get some of the BP products on Kickstarter and with the buyback I wouldn't be out anything.

From a Breakthrough Photography email responding to my request for entry into the buyback program:

"We just received your buyback request, thank you.
All you need to do is respond to this email with your GND receipts and we'll get the process started for you.
After you send us your receipts we'll take some time to process them, we're getting tons of emails for this so please give us a few days to get back to you.
After that we'll send you a pre-paid return label for the filters, which you can affix to an envelope or bubble mailer. After we process your GNDs we'll refund anything you paid on Kickstarter, and if there's any remaining balance we will issue and ship a physical gift card (email too) with the balance.
Your gift card balance will never expire."

So I decided to join the Kickstarter project. I pledged some money for the products I thought I'd like including a holder, adaptor ring and a 15 stop square ND filter. Then the updates started. The more they explained the more confused I became. Then designs changed and price increased. I increased my support pledge....to $330...all the while thinking the two Lee GND filters I was going to sell through the buyback program would return $320 and I'd only be out $10. But, recently, after I asked for an update on the buyback I got this reply:

"There is no limit to how many filters we will buy back as long as they are 100x150 and 150x170.

The gift cards canít be combined with KS pricing- the pledges have already been charged and the buybacks will just give you a gift card with store credit. You can use the buyback gift card for future orders (they never expire). If you donít want to opt in the KS without the gift card, you can also just request a full refund when we send out surveys."

Well, that's not what I signed up for. I pledged to buy the products I needed and having a gift card for future purchases wouldn't help me (since I'd already pledged to buy what I wanted and don't think there'll be any other products I want to buy....at least for the foreseeable future).

When I replied to the email and asked about this change of policy right in the middle of the campaign, I got a reply directly from Graham:

"Yes, rules of the game changed.

Instead photographers need to buy them on our site and do the buyback.

No refunds on KS.

You have been refunded 100% on Kickstarter."

Now, I didn't ask for a refund. But, I did express my displeasure that the buyback wasn't being deployed as it was advertised and indicated I wouldn't be a supporter on any future Kickstarter projects. But, the refund, without my requesting it, seemed like a knee jerk reaction. Maybe they were tired of me complaining about the significant changes. I'm not sure. I am sure, at this point, that I'm glad I got a refund. I might still buy some of their new stuff when it's available. I don't care if I have to pay full price. At least I know what I'm getting up front. As it was, I really didn't know where I stood.

Again, great products. I have no complaints on the quality.

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:10 PM
grahamclark

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

MasonJarr wrote:
Again, great products. I have no complaints on the quality.

Extending the buyback from 1 month to 1 year did away with Kickstarter refunds, but even still, the buyback allows photographers to send in their old Singh-Ray or Lee GND filters back to us (regardless of age or condition) for essentially a 100% buyback which you can use to get completely or nearly free, new and better products.

Can't make everyone happy, even with 100% refunds for our competitors products in questionable condition.

Graham

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:10 AM
MasonJarr

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Smoke and mirrors, Graham. You deviated from what you originally said....bottom line. Look through your Kickstarter updates. "Photo coming soon...." Never happened. "Surveys will go out in the next week or two". Still haven't gone out.

I'm actually a very easy customer to make happy. Just do what you say. I'll never have problems with that.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

So what's the deal with these filters? I was a contributor and want to know when my filters will be delivered.

Jul 01, 2017 at 05:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

when they said they would so far. the estimated shipping is sometime in August. read your updates.
I threw down too.

Jul 01, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

FYI, if you haven't received the survey email yet, check your email and spam box: I got mine yesterday.

Jul 05, 2017 at 06:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

i got mine yesterday and sent it back immediately and got the auto response happy happy joy joy

Jul 05, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Etherton
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Decent enough products but the owner becomes easily testy when th slightest criticism is given. Made a suggestion on my Amazon review and the public vs private communications were definitely different.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:58 PM
redford01
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Graham--

Has there been any updates with a photo or video of the x100 holder/CPL combo? Sounds like it is just the trick, but I was not sure if it was mounted on the front of the holder like the Lee or on the back of the holder.

Thanks.

RR

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

just got my request for my order (Kickstarter) and sent it back 15 minutes later and received a receipt.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:14 PM
grahamclark

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Hey guys,

We forgot to assemble some of the X4 ND Squares with foam gaskets but no worries, we will be sending 5 sets of 3M foam gaskets for each X4 ND Square to each photographer as soon as we can

Graham

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:01 PM
johnsing

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

I have all 95mm ND filters and CPL from Breakthrough and I want to adapt the X100 system with it but there is a problem. Breakthrough don't sell 95mm ring adapter for this holder. Any plans on making this happen even if it doesn't work on 95mm lenses. Or has anyone tried Lee 95mm holder with the X100 holder?

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:37 PM
grahamclark

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

johnsing wrote:
I have all 95mm ND filters and CPL from Breakthrough and I want to adapt the X100 system with it but there is a problem. Breakthrough don't sell 95mm ring adapter for this holder. Any plans on making this happen even if it doesn't work on 95mm lenses. Or has anyone tried Lee 95mm holder with the X100 holder?

Our X150 for 150mm filters will work with 95mm.

100mm filters on 95mm thread size - 5mm is not enough for the thread etc. to make it work

Graham

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:18 PM
johnsing

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

I don't want 150 system which is too bulky. Competitors are making this 95mm super wide adapter that works with 100mm filters

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZNLPH8/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APE75YKNP2A13
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YF6RZL/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APE75YKNP2A13

I know I can buy it but I like that brass rings from you guys which is why checking if any plans in making one that would work. All I need is it fits 2 square filters without vignette.

Thanks

John

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

I guess this means last year's darling, Marumi is out of favor?

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

I just got the gaskets for my ND filters from Breakthrough today. I think I got 6 gaskets, and I have 2 filters, so lots of extras in case I mess up. They also included a $10 gift card as an apology for the screwup.

I'll probably get the 105mm X4 CPL next to replace my B+W, which is fine, except it takes a lot of effort to rotate the polarizer ring for some reason.

Another useful tip: the GND filters' anti-fingerprint coating is kind of slippery, so on the Lee holder, they will slip down due to gravity. I cut a little piece of gaffer tape and put it on one side of the thing that grips the filter, and that helps keep it in place. I'm considering getting the Wine Country Camera system, but it's expensive to replace my whole setup, and bulkier and heavier.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

runamuck wrote:
I guess this means last year's darling, Marumi is out of favor?

Marumi was always just another option. it was never a "darling". still a good product.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password