New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Breakthrough Photography goes square

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

https://breakthrough.photography/pages/breakthrough-photography-announces-x100-x4-gnd

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:57 AM
kpjsy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Thanks for the link! Didn't know these types of filters came in glass. Wonder how they compare to other manufacturers' glass filters like the Lee ProGlass. Bookmarked in case I get into these types of filters.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Just spoke with Breakthrough and the Kickstarter for this is delayed by a couple of days. Also, they are adding a "dark cpl" to the Kickstarter. This will come in both 3x and 6x nd levels. That will save me stacking as many filters.

Peace,

Todd

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:42 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Todd Warnke wrote:
Just spoke with Breakthrough and the Kickstarter for this is delayed by a couple of days. Also, they are adding a "dark cpl" to the Kickstarter. This will come in both 3x and 6x nd levels. That will save me stacking as many filters.

Peace,

Todd

Todd, that's not very nice of you to release the conversation from your phone call on forums like that

Graham

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:47 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Very interesting! I just submitted a request for the buyback, and I'm very interested to see their square NDs too.

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:50 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Andre Y wrote:
Very interesting! I just submitted a request for the buyback, and I'm very interested to see their square NDs too.

Just changed square ND to be tempered as well, makes it much more expensive for us but it just makes sense

We're also considering actually making them 100x125mm in addition to 100x100mm

Reason being it's a little easier to handle, plus it cuts down a bit on light leak because it over extends past holders.

What do you think?

Graham

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:53 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Graham, thanks for asking (and participating here)!

I haven't had problems with my 100x100 NDs leaking light for either the 6- or 10-stop: I have more flare problems from forgetting to shut the eyepiece cover on my DSLR than anything else. I think it depends on that rubber seal around the edge of the square ND to block light. With a 125mm length, would that seal no longer be against the filter holder?

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:01 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Actually the 3M foam on the back of the glass would still be there, in the same position.

Cinema photographers use 4x5.65" due to it being easier to attach/remove, figured that might make these filters also easy to remove, as when the 4x4 filter is attached in the holder you can't remove it on the sides of the glass, you have to push it

Graham

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:10 PM
redford01
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

So long as the seal is there in contact with the holder, I have never had leaks with the 100x100 filters. I agree that the longer style would be easier to remove, but also possibly harder to line up the seal so that it does not cause vignetting on the top and bottom.

I completely agree that making the ND out of tempered glass makes sense-- those 100x100 are the filters that I have the largest problem with scratches.

Looking forward to the launch-- just bummed that they don't ship til July-- will miss using them on an upcoming trip in May i have. : )

Randy

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:15 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Ok good to know.

Actually the 3M adhesive foam we're using, believe it or not, took 20+ material samples to get just right

But we got it and it's really good stuff.

Ok, good to know about 125x100, thank you for that.

Graham

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Graham i do need to speak to you about the buy back

Apr 26, 2017 at 08:45 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

sjms wrote:
Graham i do need to speak to you about the buy back

sure just send me email, or you can ask here and i can respond so everyone else can see (if you think other people might wonder), either way

[email protected]

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Graham - wasn't trying to offend. In fact, I told the very nice woman I was speaking with that I would let my friends know about our conversation. I can't help it if most of my friends are virtual!

Todd

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Now that I'm on small format (24x36mm) and working at f/8.0 instead of f/16 the dark CPL sounds very appealing!

I'm going to be all over this. My Lee and Singh Ray filters have been babied (since they scratch easily) but neutrality is not their forte especially Singh Ray.

The new Breakthrough filter holder looks like a vast improvement on the plastic fantastic 5000% markup holder Lee makes.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Isn't 100 mm a bit small for the wide lenses?

EBH

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:22 AM
wncdigital

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Is there a way to connect a circular polarizer to the holder?

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:39 AM
grahamclark

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

wncdigital wrote:
Is there a way to connect a circular polarizer to the holder?

Camera > Lens > CPL > Holder > GND

No vignetting like this.

Apr 27, 2017 at 02:19 AM
wncdigital

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Thanks for the reply. What size CPL works with the system and how does it attach? Does it rotate independently of the holder? Looks like a great system.

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:29 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

Huge thumbs up for Graham and the team at Breakthrough! I buy all of my UV/ND/CPL from them. They must love me since I swap gear all the time so I'm always alternating between 49mm filters up to 72mm filters. Keep up the great work Graham!

Apr 27, 2017 at 04:21 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Breakthrough Photography goes square

wncdigital wrote:
Thanks for the reply. What size CPL works with the system and how does it attach? Does it rotate independently of the holder? Looks like a great system.

Actually any CPL will work with it

If people want I can make a holder with a built-in CPL

I was trying to get away from 'just another accessory to buy' instead of making existing equipment work perfectly, as in the case of the CPL + Holder, but if photographers want something else to buy, perhaps because it is actually more convenient, I can design/manufacture a holder with built-in CPL in a couple days time

Apr 28, 2017 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password