New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

I am not to sure what I am doing wrong but I wanted to submit a pictured for the Weekly Assignment so per the rules is set the longest edge to 800 on my export. When the image is exported to a JPEG is truly looks likes crap (more like another 4 letter work that starts with "s") Is there a trick to exporting out of LR to small file sizes?

Apr 25, 2017 at 03:13 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

What was your JPEG Quality set to?

Apr 25, 2017 at 05:54 AM
marsh9077

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

lara_ckl wrote:
What was your JPEG Quality set to?

Set it to 100

Apr 25, 2017 at 07:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

I never could figure out how to resize images for uploading and keep IQ.
I eventually just posted links to my Zenfolio/SmugMug site. It's easier (no additional processing) and IQ remains the same.

Apr 25, 2017 at 07:59 AM
CMYK Designs
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

And all along I thought it was me....my IQ goes from WOW to WTF?...any help out there?

Apr 25, 2017 at 08:14 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

Hmm... can't say I've had much issue with these settings. Here is link to some I posted earlier this morning with these settings: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1487335/0#lastmessage

Apr 25, 2017 at 08:37 AM
marsh9077

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

schlotz wrote:
Hmm... can't say I've had much issue with these settings. Here is link to some I posted earlier this morning with these settings: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1487335/0#lastmessage

I just tried that exact setting setup and it still looks tarrible.

Anyone else have my tips for how to export to jpeg?

Apr 29, 2017 at 06:47 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

There has to be something else going on. Can you post the resulting photo here and make the original photo available somewhere to download?

Apr 29, 2017 at 07:03 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

I use output sharpening set to Screen and High. Still when viewing on a 4K or 5K display they don't look sharp enough. Not nearly as good as they do in LR. However, on a lower res (like my non-5K iMac) they look fairly good. I've been using a PS output sharpening Action from Steve Perry to get them sharp enough for my 5K screen...but then they look a little over sharpened on my non-5K screen so I don't really know what to do.

Are you on Windows or Mac? If on Mac, if you view the output in Preview does it still look terrible or only when posted to the forums?

Apr 29, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

Strange - it should be fine with those settings. I have found the only way to get great web images is to step resize/sharpen in Photoshop.

May 01, 2017 at 09:15 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

I set my quality to 75, resolution to 240 and output sharpening to screen - standard. My image sizing is set to 1200x1000.

I export my jpegs mostly to smugmug and use Jeffrey Friedl's plugin and not Lr's. In Jeffrey's blog, he maintains and shows examples of jpeg quality degrading when Lr quality is set to anything above 75 for export to jpeg.

Look at JF's blog for a list of his free/donationware plugins and his discussion on exporting to jpeg from Lr.

May 01, 2017 at 01:55 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

marsh9077 wrote:
I just tried that exact setting setup and it still looks tarrible.

Anyone else have my tips for how to export to jpeg?

Post screenshots of your export settings.

If you set it to 100%, your file sizes should be huge and there should not be any sacrifice in quality.
The only thing that comes to my mind is that you may have set "Keep file sizes to 100K".

perhaps post a few examples as well.

If all fails, delete the lightroom, all the catalogs and do a fresh install and update it.

May 04, 2017 at 12:02 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

arbitrage wrote:
I use output sharpening set to Screen and High. Still when viewing on a 4K or 5K display they don't look sharp enough. Not nearly as good as they do in LR. However, on a lower res (like my non-5K iMac) they look fairly good. I've been using a PS output sharpening Action from Steve Perry to get them sharp enough for my 5K screen...but then they look a little over sharpened on my non-5K screen so I don't really know what to do.

Are you on Windows or Mac? If on Mac, if you view the output in Preview does
...Show more

In the develop mode set sharpening to 120, radius 1.2 and detail to 25. During export of high resolution images, set to Paper and LOW or standard as the maximum. Your image should be very very sharp. If it's not, the issue may be your monitor or the OS.

As an example. in Windows 7, if you view an image NOT at 100%, it may not look sharp,but if in the picture viewer you either press full resolution or extend the image so that it shows full res, then it will be sharp.

May 04, 2017 at 12:08 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

DmitriM wrote:
If all fails, delete the lightroom, all the catalogs and do a fresh install and update it.

Try Lightroom>Preferences>Presets>Reset all default Develop Settings

And, while there, Restore Export Presets

Easier than a fresh install.

May 04, 2017 at 03:54 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

Hey OP, how about some samples? Helps if we see what you are talking about.

May 04, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

mogud wrote:
I set my quality to 75, resolution to 240 and output sharpening to screen - standard. My image sizing is set to 1200x1000.

I export my jpegs mostly to smugmug and use Jeffrey Friedl's plugin and not Lr's. In Jeffrey's blog, he maintains and shows examples of jpeg quality degrading when Lr quality is set to anything above 75 for export to jpeg.

Look at JF's blog for a list of his free/donationware plugins and his discussion on exporting to jpeg from Lr.

Wait...what? Quality gets worse ABOVE 75? That makes no sense. Or is this just if you send the photos to SmugMug (perhaps they limit file size or something).

Or perhaps you mean..you get diminishing returns on stuff above 75.

Here is his link btw:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

May 05, 2017 at 11:31 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Wait...what? Quality gets worse ABOVE 75? That makes no sense. Or is this just if you send the photos to SmugMug (perhaps they limit file size or something).

Or perhaps you mean..you get diminishing returns on stuff above 75.

Here is his link btw:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Diminished returns as the link you provided in your post indicates and as I mentioned in my post. There has always been an issue with Lr export to jpeg. Adobe maintains they have fixed the problem, but I (still) have issues. So, I use JF's plugin. YMMV, but this is what I do FWIW.

May 05, 2017 at 11:59 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

Stupid question probably but are you by chance viewing these JPEGs at greater than 100% after you save them? At 800 pixels wide it will look like garbage even at 110%.

May 05, 2017 at 12:03 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

I resize the images and select the option for best reduction and then I do the sharpening and lastly I will save it as a JPG file. If you open up a saved JPG file and then save it again it will reduce the IQ every time you do so. I always start with a virgin TIFF file and then do the needed size reductions and save as a new JPG file.

May 07, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Export from Lightroom to JPEG = poor quality

"If you open up a saved JPG file and then save it again it will reduce the IQ every time you do so"

This is an oft misunderstood fallacy. If you simply open the jpeg and resave it to a different location or with a different name, but make no pixel changes at all to it AND save it with the same compression settings there will be no degradation even after dozens of resaves. However if you change even a single pixel, that will force a complete re-compression and that will indeed degrade the image. It's always best to start with the original but not always possible. Perhaps the worst thing is to have that insipid Bicubic Automatic setting engaged where you have no control over how your image is re-sampled.

May 07, 2017 at 04:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.