FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Matted album design review

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Matted album design review

FM is in urgent need of a wedding album section, IMHO.

Well, this one will be my very first matted album (a sample one ) from a wedding I shot in 2014.

Critic away if you wish.

Thanks beforehands.

Apr 24, 2017 at 02:36 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Matted album design review

My observations...

- The right hand side of spreads #3 and #6 look a bit bare. I'd probably center those 2 openings.

- Spread #10 would be a lot more balanced with an additional image on either side. Same goes for #17, the right hand side of #5 and the left hand side of #16.

- The edges of the left and right hand images in spread 18 should be aligned, as you did in #19. Same goes for #11 and #20.

- Personally I'm not a fan of mixing BW and color images in the same spread, but that's just a personal preference.

Apr 24, 2017 at 03:02 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Matted album design review

Nice job. Sometimes less is more though...I think you could cut 10 or so photos of the reception and make it a lot cleaner.

Apr 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Matted album design review

Really nice images.

Oddly enough, the folks at Fundy sent out an email this morning that highlighted what they consider to be the "Top 3" mistakes in album design. One mistake was mixing B&W and color in the same spread. Another was having unbalanced spreads where one side has considerably more images (e.g. #12) than the other. The 3rd mistake, by the way, was having important parts of an image cut off due to not paying attention to safe zones.

Apr 24, 2017 at 06:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Matted album design review

I'd start with a bang one of the spreads with the bride+groom. Then, start with the dress & bride's details and her dressing set, followed up by the groom's dressing.

Also, I worry to many of the PJ images are too small. When we used to do this album style, it was rare we'd do more than two images on a page, and never more than 3 on a full spread.

The two best spreads are the last two. Clean, elegant with simple composition on the images.

Apr 24, 2017 at 06:53 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Matted album design review

Thank you all for your answers, very helpful and appreciated !

What is the theory behind not mixing b&w with colour in the same spread (I dont mix them in the same page, spread 10 will be fixed) other than colour eating B&W ?, I recall having read about it long ago but, honestly, I cant remember !.

Have a great day.

Apr 25, 2017 at 02:27 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Matted album design review

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Another was having unbalanced spreads where one side has considerably more images (e.g. #12) than the other.

I would agree with that as far as applying that rule to spread #12 here. But not automatically. It depends, If it is a single large full page photo on one side vs two, three or four images on the other side it can balance very nicely.

Edited on Apr 25, 2017 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2017 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Matted album design review

If at all possible I try to place portraits on a page so that the subjects in the photo face to the middle of the book instead of facing to the edge. This will keep the viewers eyes on the page instead of drawing them off the page like in spread #3 right half.

Apr 25, 2017 at 04:46 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Matted album design review

For what it's worth, I respectfully disagree with the BW/color mix "rule".

These are graphic elements on a page. Nothing more, nothing less. Go matchy matchy if that's your design choice but feel free to use black text on a page with a color image as well.

Contrast can be a very useful element in design.

C

Apr 25, 2017 at 04:50 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Matted album design review

Great advice !

MRomine wrote:
If at all possible I try to place portraits on a page so that the subjects in the photo face to the middle of the book instead of facing to the edge. This will keep the viewers eyes on the page instead of drawing them off the page like in spread #3 right half.

Apr 25, 2017 at 05:06 PM
David7

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Matted album design review

Nice photography....all this photograph. You can also view this gallery of wedding photography. http://elliephoto.com/gallery/wedding/

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:56 PM
trashschollie

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Matted album design review

The big advantage of digital books vs putting prints in an album in the older days is the chance to design the pages with many collages in different sizes.
This gives us the opportunity to " choreograph" the whole design and guide the eye of the viewer.

We can give the picture different value by choosing the size, the position and the relation to the other Pictures.
Just put 4 pictures in the same row and size like on 1 ignore all this facts.

Such design is like in the old print days.

I see no problem with mixing color and B/W. In fact, this is also a tool to give different value and guide the eye.

Why don't you put one picture over 3/4 of the doubleside? That looks gorgious.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM
RH_Photo

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Matted album design review

Your images are lovely. Congrats for having the courage to open yourself to critique.

Apr 28, 2017 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password