FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

Al Goldis wrote:
The only thing I wanted to add is about the 400/4 DO (version 1). I don't think you want it because the 300 with a 1.4x is sharper, the 100-400II at 400mm is sharper, and the 400/5.6L is sharper. And all have better contrast than the DO v1.

Yeah, and the 400 DO is two pounds lighter or one stop faster than any of those options.

As I mentioned previously this lens does suffer from some sample variation. I won't argue that it doesn't give something up to the best available, but my copy is professionally sharp even wide open. If buying a used sample I would want a chance to test it though.

Edited on May 09, 2017 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2017 at 01:28 PM
Al Goldis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

Gary, I think you must have an extraordinary copy of the 400 DO 1. I generally don't hear good things (or see good things from the MTF charts) about image quality in that lens.

Another reason to get the 300/2.8 over the 400DO is low light, i.e. night sports. Sometimes you really need that extra stop. Obviously, the 100-400 and 400/5.6 don't help you either in those situations.

May 09, 2017 at 01:39 PM
ted1000
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

If you (or someone else) is looking for a 400 DO (first version) I just saw this one for sale at Lensauthority https://www.lensauthority.com/products/canon-400mm-f-4l-do-is I have no affiliation except for being a satisfied customer of theirs.

Ted

May 09, 2017 at 04:11 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

Al Goldis wrote:
Gary, I think you must have an extraordinary copy of the 400 DO 1. I generally don't hear good things (or see good things from the MTF charts) about image quality in that lens.

Another reason to get the 300/2.8 over the 400DO is low light, i.e. night sports. Sometimes you really need that extra stop. Obviously, the 100-400 and 400/5.6 don't help you either in those situations.

I certainly agree a 300 2.8 is a more flexible choice, depending on what you shoot.

Re. my 400 DO: I think it's probably more typical than not. I do think there were some bad copies floating around from early production runs, but that the lens is probably better than its reputation.

When I say it is "professionally sharp", I mean just that: I think one can produce professional quality images with a good copy of this lens given competent technique. But I am not claiming that I think it has the biting sharpness, contrast, and AF performance of the latest generation of lenses. My recommendation to the OP was in the context of him seeking a "bargain" lens, and this may fit the bill there.

Here are a few examples from my practice and a maybe surprising sharpness comparison.

(The test images show a comparison between my 400 DO and my 300 2.8L IS v1 with 1.4X III. These were shot on a tripod, using mirror lockup and a 10 second timed release, with IS turned off on both lenses. Focus was achieved in Live View via contrast detect AF at 10X magnification. Processed in ACR with default sharpening settings and luminance NR disabled. I think the 400 holds its own, and may even be a bit better here.)

© Gary R. Voth

© Gary R. Voth

© Gary R. Voth

© Gary R. Voth

May 09, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

I think with the original 400 DO, people complained less about sharpness and more about lack of contrast compared to (and I think that is the important phrase) the other 'big whites' in the price bracket, and contrast goes some way to accentuating perceived sharpness. When I tried at a second hand copy at a photo shop, I was surprised how sharp it actually was given its reputation.

May 10, 2017 at 02:18 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

Own the 300/2.8 IS 1 and mirror the comments above regarding the size with adapters. Love using it for field sports, large outdoor events, and even hiking. If you plan on using it for more than 30 minutes you'll absolutely need a monopod. With a good strap system like black rapid I can shoulder mine for a few hours of intermittent shooting. The 2 stop IS is definitely good enough to help stabilize the viewfinder, even at 600mm but know that you'll probably be shooting at 1/fl

May 10, 2017 at 09:53 AM
anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

Thanks for taking the time for the pics. That is interesting. It seems the 400DO has more bokeh than the 300+1.4? More subject separation through blurred background?

Man, lots of GAS pain on this one.

May 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 300/2.8 IS v1 Lenses Price-Peformance

anselwannab wrote:
Thanks for taking the time for the pics. That is interesting. It seems the 400DO has more bokeh than the 300+1.4? More subject separation through blurred background?

Man, lots of GAS pain on this one.

I think the bokeh really depends more where the subject is and associated field of view. I was not really that impressed with the 400DO v1 bokeh.

I get your pain: I took about five or six years to decide on and save up for buying a 300mm/400mm. I had a similar debate whether to get a 300mm f2.8L IS, 400mm f4 DO IS or 400mm f2.8L IS. I ended up ruling out the 400DO v1 after using a friends, and drew out a chart of all the focal length combinations between a 300 and 400mm f2.8L IS based on using a 5D2 and a 40D. I came to the conclusion I wanted 400mm reach but wasn't willing to pay for a pro FF body with better focus (eg 1 series), so the best combination would end up being a 300mm x 1.6x crop for me. The handling and logistics to support a 400mm f2.8L IS were also significant.

It's pushed open a new area of photography for me, including trying to take pictures of birds (obviously not ideal compared to a 500mm, but at 300+1.4x+1.6 crop still usable) as well as action sports. So I encourage you to get one, once you've come to a decision.

May 23, 2017 at 09:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.