New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Colin F
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

In my 5D4 I have the CF card set as the main (#1) write card, and the SD card as the (#2) secondary, which the camera will automatically switch to if the CF card gets full. Unfortunately I'm finding that when I take the CF card out to download files to the computer, and then put it back in the camera, the camera (often/always?) switches the writing priority back to the #2 (SD) card.

Why is it doing this, and how to correct?

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:30 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

It does it on all Canon cameras, as the new card inserted becomes the primary card. I see it all the time only 1DX and now my 1dx2

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:40 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

IIRC, it won't do that if you don't close the card door after removing the card to download the files. Just leave it open and then replace the card and then close it. I seem to recall that will prevent it from switching card slots.

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

mitesh wrote:
IIRC, it won't do that if you don't close the card door after removing the card to download the files. Just leave it open and then replace the card and then close it. I seem to recall that will prevent it from switching card slots.

Aha!!! Interesting. If my memory serves me correctly, that is a definite pattern. Good tip - thanks. Still, strange that Canon has designed it so that it changes.

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:53 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Hopefully, you have more than one CF card, so you can insert a different one after you eject the current one, before closing the cover

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:29 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Do you still have it on when you remove the card? Or turn it on without the cf in it? I found my 1div does this if I leave it on when I remove the card or if I turn it on with the cf in it

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Dpedraza wrote:
Do you still have it on when you remove the card? Or turn it on without the cf in it? I found my 1div does this if I leave it on when I remove the card or if I turn it on with the cf in it

Whenever I remove or insert a card, I always make sure it's off. Same for lenses.

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:58 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Weird my 1div if I leave it off when I take out the cf the cf will be default if I replace it and power on. Only issue I have is if I power up with the cf it will default to the sd since it's the only card available

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

That is how Canon bodies operate.
I suggest using larger cards. A 128GB card stores over 3300 images.

EBH

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

EB-1 wrote:
That is how Canon bodies operate.
I suggest using larger cards. A 128GB card stores over 3300 images.

Yes, the 30 MP files of the 5D4 are rendering the 32 GB cards that I normally use a little too small. Given the old wisdom of not having too large a card in case of a failure and losing all those files, perhaps 64 might be a good choice as well.

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Sure. 64GB is fine and lasts a bit longer than a typical battery charge.
I have 128GB cards for the 5DsR, which produces files about twice the size of the 5D IV. (Sizes are not pixel ratio proportional since the 5D IV has less noise and the AA filter.)

EBH

Apr 23, 2017 at 08:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

I always have to check that the card I want the 1Dx II to write to is chosen. It appears to be default behavior to switch to the one left in camera. I always turn every camera off when opening the card holder or changing lenses. Seems to be asking for problems when a small change in procedure may prevent it.

Robert

Apr 23, 2017 at 09:35 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Colin F wrote:
Whenever I remove or insert a card, I always make sure it's off. Same for lenses.

There's really no need to do that, the camera powers off immediately the card door is opened, nor is it necessary with lenses, the idea that the sensor is somehow 'charged' and attracts dust is a myth

Apr 24, 2017 at 04:15 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

dhphoto wrote:
the idea that the sensor is somehow 'charged' and attracts dust is a myth

People misunderstood what was really happening, and believed the sensor was charged.

Here's what Canon has to say.

"Surprisingly, research has shown that one of the main causes of dust is the camera itself. This explains why photographers who rarely change lenses still suffer dust problems.

There are two significant camera-related areas that generate dust. One is the shutter. Every time it fires, friction between the components can create dust. Recent shutter units for EOS cameras have been designed to generate a minimal amount of dust during their operation.

The other main problem area is the plastic body cap. Every time it is attached or removed, friction between the metal mount and the plastic cap can generate dust. Since the first half of 2005, the body cap has been made of a material that produces very little dust from friction." http://bit.ly/1sx3dog

Apr 24, 2017 at 07:38 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Memory card setting changes - grrr

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
People misunderstood what was really happening, and believed the sensor was charged.

Here's what Canon has to say.

"Surprisingly, research has shown that one of the main causes of dust is the camera itself. This explains why photographers who rarely change lenses still suffer dust problems.

There are two significant camera-related areas that generate dust. One is the shutter. Every time it fires, friction between the components can create dust. Recent shutter units for EOS cameras have been designed to generate a minimal amount of dust during their operation.

The other main problem area is the plastic body cap. Every time it is attached
...Show more

+1

Plus every time you put a body cap or a rear lens cap down it collects dust, especially if you put it face down on a dusty table or in your pocket. I make sure I use a blower brush on the caps as well as the lens surfaces before I mount a lens (if I have time)

Getting way off topic here

Apr 25, 2017 at 01:28 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.