Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

The new Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension released for new Sony A9 is also compatible with Sony A7II, A7RII, & A7SII bodies. It was designed to add more stability for when using bigger/heavier lenses.

It's available for pre-order for $130

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333267-REG/sony_gp_ex1m_gp_x1em_grip_extension.html

Would you get one?

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:58 AM
thait84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I think certain L-brackets do the job fine for a lot less.

Apr 23, 2017 at 08:00 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I have/need L plates, so not possible to add this, but I don't feel the need when I'm handholding in any case. Perhaps people with very large hands? (I take an L glove)

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

There are some Chinese L-brackets that also improve the grip, even for the 1st gen A7/r/s and the A6x00 cameras as well as the new 2nd gen A7 models. Search for LB-A7 or LB-A6000 etc. on ebay.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

Fred Miranda wrote:
The new Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension released for new Sony A9 is also compatible with Sony A7II, A7RII, & A7SII bodies. It was designed to add more stability for when using bigger/heavier lenses.

It's available for pre-order for $130

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333267-REG/sony_gp_ex1m_gp_x1em_grip_extension.html

Would you get one?

Wow! Straight out of the 1980's Canon catalog!

I had one of these for my EOS 630. It was nice for hand-holding the camera, but it was quite the opposite when you wanted to set your camera down, or use it on a tripod.

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:55 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

Thanks but no, thanks! The camera will tip over or at the least, will stand at a weird angle with that thing mounted under it. What is Sony thinking?? Aah, Cliff mentioned that already .

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:59 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

AGeoJO wrote:
Thanks but no, thanks! The camera will tip over or at the least, will stand at a weird angle with that thing mounted under it. What is Sony thinking?? Aah, Cliff mentioned that already .

In addition to the fact that you've now got to remove the grip to swap out a battery (OK even if only once a day now ... ). Crickey if I want a bottom plate in the way I'd buy a Leica

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:26 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

Nope, I don't want to pay money to make my camera look UGLY!

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:35 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

ajamils wrote:
Nope, I don't want to pay money to make my camera look UGLY!

How is a black soap bar pretty...looks to be helpful, though terribly over priced. Chinese knock off coming for $12.

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:41 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

mogul wrote:
How is a black soap bar pretty...looks to be helpful, though terribly over priced. Chinese knock off coming for $12.

And they can improve the design by creating an opening to acces the battery compartment, similar to that of the L-bracket for thrat price. Well, that will be less material, too, lighter and less expensive .

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

mcbroomf wrote:
In addition to the fact that you've now got to remove the grip to swap out a battery (OK even if only once a day now ... ). Crickey if I want a bottom plate in the way I'd buy a Leica

That's true. That would be an annoying inconvenience.

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:21 PM
jazz62

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

It's ugly, creates inconvenience for battery access and is obscenely priced - no thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:37 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

If I wanted an extended grip, I'd just buy the battery grip. Then I'd still be able to change the batteries.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:25 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

More options are cool, can't say I'd use it but I see the utility

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

It looks like it was made to be easily attached/detached whenever needed. It's not an accessory designed to be left on the camera for a long periods of time....I'm just trying to figure out its utility..

The regular grip with 2 batteries take some time to assemble and sometimes shooters may only handhold a heavier lens like the 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 for a little while with more comfort. However, replacing batteries many not be an issue with the new A9 but it would be for the A7 series.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I am interested and think I will give the grip extension a go on my A7rII. Currently I tend to curl my right little finger under the camera grip which seems like second nature to me now. I agree this grip is expensive (typical Sony accessory price) Surely, some third party will clone it and sell for 1/3 or 1/2 the price in the coming months.

Looks like I can probably loosen the grip screw a bit to twist the grip out of the way of the battery compartment without having to remove the entire grip when I need to change the battery.

Apr 27, 2017 at 02:30 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I will Never buy it. With the grip on, I can't use a L-plate (my A7R2 is always attached to one), can't attach an ordinary QR plate, or mini tripod, can't properly rest on table, can't rest and shoot on road side fence when I don't have a tripod ...

Actually the grip is already extended a little bit with a L-plate attached. Maybe someone should design a L-plate with grip extension in mind rather than this ugly, expensive and basically useless thing.

If they pay me $130 to use it....well....maybe I'll consider it (and then likely decline that offer since I use L-plate all the time )

Apr 27, 2017 at 03:22 PM
40Driggs
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I prefer the approach of having an L plate that is detachable on one side. I keep the "bottom" portion of my L plate attached at all times to give me the slightly longer area to grip, which is my preference. I keep the other half of the L bracket in my bag and attach it when I'm out landscape shooting. I also have a grip for my camera but only use it with my longer lenses (180 macro and 70-400) or if I need extra battery life for some reason.

I would never buy this item, but I'd be curious to try one.

Apr 27, 2017 at 03:26 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I actually like this, but it does seem expensive for what it is. I currently use the battery grip on my A7II to address the ergonomics issue for me (my hands are on the large side and an L-bracket, while helpful, isn't quite enough) so something lighter, like this extension, would appeal to me. I don't see a big problem with unscrewing the wingnut and pivoting it out of the way to change batteries...I mean, maybe it adds 10-15 seconds to the process. I could live with that.

It would be nicer if it was Arca Swiss compatible, but it may have to be a little longer on the side opposite the grip, to allow for this.

Jon

Apr 27, 2017 at 03:46 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Sony GP-X1EM Grip Extension (For A9, A7RII..)

I think the GP-X1EM grip makes sense, but the price does not, so I decided to make one myself instead of waiting for the eBay-clones to arrive. Work is in progress. 4mm MDF is cut, laminated and sanded to desired shape, it will be painted black and part of it covered in leather.

I think it works great and believe it will be a pretty useful optional accessory. Added weight and bulk is very small, handling of the camera is much better. Cost is close to zero.

Difficult access to the battery is the main inconvenience, but the very slight flex in the 4mm MDF along the bottom of the camera actually lets me lift a small pin that extends into a hole below the grip of the camera (see pictures of the original GP-X1EM) and swing the whole grip away from the battery door without releasing the tripod screw.

Wishlist for the cloners: integrated quick release plate and some clever mechanism to give access to battery without unmounting the grip.

Edited on May 05, 2017 at 08:46 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2017 at 07:10 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password