New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which Fuji to buy?

blitzreaper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Fuji to buy?

I'm at a crossroads regarding my next purchase. I'm considering the XPro1, XPro2, XT1, and XT2.
I really liked how the XPro2 felt and operated. It was a satisfying camera. However it is evident it's not the speed demon that the XT2 is. I didn't really like the shooting experience with the XT2 but I guess I can learn to like it. The XT2 with the new updates makes it one of the most attractive cameras on the market.
However the XPro2 and the XT2 are very expensive.
The XPro1 and the XT1 are much more affordable, often less than half the price used.
I did not get an opportunity to shoot the XPro1 and the XT1 so I don't know what they're like. Would you still recommend either camera in 2017?
I might adapt manual focus lenses to my camera in the future. But I might just choose to stay with just the 35mm f2.
How do I choose between the XPro line and the XT line?
Between these four, what can I expect?

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:19 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Fuji to buy?

I don't know what kind of photography you do, for example if it's more on a personal/hobby or professional level.
This is important since even if you didn't enjoy the shooting experience of the X-T2, if you are a working professional shotting sports that camera can be a better choice due to speed and versatility.

Otherwise, if you prefer the X-Pro2 over the X-T2, in your place I wouldn't buy the X-T2 hoping to learn to like it. The joy of using the X-Pro2 will haunt you forever and you will never really be satisfied I have to say also that as a X-Pro2 user I don't feel I need more speed than that, the camera is very fast for my street shooting.

I would say either save some money for a used X-Pro2 (or be alert to the Fuji cashbacks), or buy older models like the X-T1, X-E2(s) or X-T10 for interchangeble lenses and a X100S or X100T for the joy of the RF style of shooting.

I wouldn't buy a X-Pro1 without testing it first to see how tolerant you are to the camera AF performance. Unless you find a very good deal in wich you can later sell it without losing cash (or even making a profit, sometimes happens

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Fuji to buy?

If you don't want to spend the money on the X2 models go for the XT-1
I recently sold mine to upgrade to the XT-2
Really large viewfinder and most everything you could want.
Much better AF than the XPRO-1

R

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:21 PM
blitzreaper

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Fuji to buy?

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
I don't know what kind of photography you do, for example if it's more on a personal/hobby or professional level.
This is important since even if you didn't enjoy the shooting experience of the X-T2, if you are a working professional shotting sports that camera can be a better choice due to speed and versatility.

Otherwise, if you prefer the X-Pro2 over the X-T2, in your place I wouldn't buy the X-T2 hoping to learn to like it. The joy of using the X-Pro2 will haunt you forever and you will never really be satisfied I have to say also that
...Show more

I am not a working professional, nor do I need blazing fast autofocus. Personal use mostly. Portraits of family and friends. The X-Pro2 just sang to me. The larger viewfinder in the X-T2 was too large for me. Though I want to adapt manual focus lenses and I think it would come in handy for that.

Apr 22, 2017 at 09:00 PM
blitzreaper

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Fuji to buy?

Reagan wrote:

R

I am considering the XT1 seriously. It's a great package.

Apr 22, 2017 at 09:02 PM
haleheartless

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Fuji to buy?

Reagan wrote:

R

How do you like the colors on the XT2 over the XT1?

Apr 22, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Fuji to buy?

I am not a pixelpeeper so I don't see a lot of difference
between the two
I mostly shoot raw and I still don't know why

R

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:42 AM
sporadic

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Fuji to buy?

Bought my X-T1 when it was released and still love it. I'll replace it with an X-T2 once the used market settles in, just can't justify​ it as a hobbyist. Lots of good used deals on previous gen X cameras. I'd consider the X100T as well if you like the rangefinder feel and can deal with a fixed lens. Or grab a X100S and X-T1, use for a few weeks and sell if you don't like. Be easy to break even.

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:55 AM
Exposure101
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Fuji to buy?

I was in the same boat a few months ago. Was thinking Xt1 and saw that the xt20 was announced and decided that would be the one. All of that was mainly due to the price and features (best bang for the buck).

After thinking about things like weather sealing, ergonomics (smaller sizes might be tough to hold), EVF size, etc., I decided to bite the bullet and get the xt2. Got it end of February but didn't start using it until sometime in March (wasn't sure if I should get xt20 instead). Once I opened the box and started shooting with it, I knew I've made the right decision.

Point is: you should buy the best camera you can afford and try not to over analyze things. If you're leaning towards something then just go for it. You can always resell and get something else if it doesn't work out. This last point is why I went for Xt2. It's because if I were to go for xt1, I'd always wonder that the xt2 would be like and the cost of reselling and buying could add up. Hence, I decided to do it right the first time around (at least for me).

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Fuji to buy?

The X-T1 is a very good camera. Easy to use, produces wonderful pictures.
Can probably do everything you are looking for. It is smaller than the
X-T2, just a bit, but it is noticeable.

You can use your MF lenses on it, too.

It is and was considered very highly ever since its release...
You might enjoy reading some of the threads here in the Fuji Forum
about the X-T1...And the cost is really good as well...

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:37 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Fuji to buy?

From what you say, the XPro 2 speaks to you and that's the one you want. If the cost keeps you from buying lenses with it, get the Xpro 1 and a couple/few lenses at least as a stop gap. It sounds a bit like you are trying to reason for 'the best' with the xt line where the xpro line is what you will really enjoy.

I'm using a xpro 1 and xt 1. They are great compliments to each other and I'm very happy with both for different reasons. I got the xpro 1 in January after having the xe 1 and 2 and xt 1. For walk around, shorter lenses, and general enjoyability, I grab the xpro. For vertical grip, weather resistance, frame rate and AF speed, and longer lenses, I want the xt. The Xpro has gotten much more use since January.

Also between the two 1's there is little lacking that the upgrade to the 2 would really do for me --but I'll get them eventually when they are a deal on the used market .

Apr 25, 2017 at 08:29 AM
starlights
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Fuji to buy?

Another vote for X-T1. I use it regularly for portraits and couldn't be happier. Additionally, its easier to store and deal with 32mb raw files from X-T1.

Pick up a good condition preowned X-T1 and you won't lose much in terms of value. X-T20 is another good value camera however its valuation will take a bigger hit over time.

Apr 25, 2017 at 08:57 AM
stoutvisual
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Fuji to buy?

Have you considered X-E2 or X-E2s? I haven't handled one personally, but I'm planning to pick one up in the next few weeks as a low-priced second body. It should compare more favorably to the X-T1 in terms of performance, and closer to the X-Pro for handling.

That said, X-T1 is an exceptional value for money right now, and is my primary camera.

Apr 25, 2017 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.