FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Earth Day 2017

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Earth Day 2017

Who knew the environment could be so complicated?
Do you remember the first Earth Day? I do. I was in high school and we had an all day assembly dealing with the state of our planet. Many who spoke were so-called tree huggers and radical environmentalists typical of the late 60s. Yet, every year we "celebrate" this day and every second, every minute, every hour, day, week, year, and decade we destroy the only place we can call home. But that's ok, we won't be here to have to defend to our children's children's children why we did what we did....we will be long gone but our legacy will not be one to be proud of. Science is real, facts are real, opinions are irrelevant in the face of real data. Destroying habitat especially rain forests in the name of economic gain is folly. We will pay the price and no amount of money, no bluster from denying politicians will make us whole again.
As wildlife photographers and more so as inhabitants of this planet we should all be concerned. No more bald eagles soaring above....no more hummingbirds flitting back and forth....polar bears on the brink of extinction within our lifetime....big cat numbers down 80-90%....and the statistics go on and on.
When you make decisions on who you want to support don't only think about those who promise a quick fix but those with vision who want to protect what we have for generations to come. There are many here willing to give up their lives to keep us safe...certainly we can give up something much less to ensure a better future for the human race.
Eric

https://photos.smugmug.com/FM/i-RR9sLpD/0/X2/XPAN2768firstjagBlr-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/FM/i-XgqbBwR/0/X2/XPAN2762firstjagalr-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/FM/i-LhdHGxd/0/X2/XPAN2752firstpumaAlr-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/FM/i-q5FdtLn/0/X2/XPAN2739firstpumaAlr-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/FM/i-VjcDBNC/0/X2/XPAN2774firstjaglr-X2.jpg

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Earth Day 2017

Beautiful jags Eric. The destruction humans have done to this planet is staggering. As a single individual it is hard to know where to help.

TFS
Geoff

Apr 22, 2017 at 08:16 AM
soupy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Earth Day 2017

There's a quote I have tucked away somewhere that says, generally, that "only after the last tree has been cut down and the last grass paved with concrete that we realize that we can't eat money". We all need to continue to do our little part to reduce our footprint on this earth and try to leave it a little better.

Sue

Apr 22, 2017 at 08:23 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Earth Day 2017

"Sometimes you will never know the value of something until it becomes a memory " - Dr. Seuss

I hope that all the creations we love to photograph are around for many generations and don't become memories only.

There are so many complicated issues - poverty, hunger, over population, greed, pollution of the air, seas and aquifers,, unintended consequences , just to mention a few. Hard to know where to start as an individual . However, I do hope that each little effort one makes counts for something .

Lovely shots Eric.

Birdie

Apr 22, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Earth Day 2017

Hi Eric...

Beautiful photographs of why our planet needs to be preserved for future generations. I hope that someday future generations will be able to see these wild creatures in their native habitats and not just our photographs.

I'm reminded of Joni Mitchell's lyric:

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And they put up a parking lot."

Thanks
Tom

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Earth Day 2017

Very well done Eric. I agree that we all need to do what we can ~ Ron

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Earth Day 2017

Well stated Eric. Over 4.5 billion years earth has repeatedly demonstrated that it can heal and it will do so with our help or after we eradicate our selves. I have a strong preference for the first method.

Morris

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:14 PM
YneGrwr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Earth Day 2017

Well said Eric. Neil deGrasse Tyson recently put out a video that also says it well. In case you have not seen it: http://flip.it/01zzYm

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:37 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Earth Day 2017

YneGrwr wrote:
Well said Eric. Neil deGrasse Tyson recently put out a video that also says it well. In case you have not seen it: http://flip.it/01zzYm

Thanks for sharing that...powerful indeed. It is a sad state of affairs and we will all suffer for it.
Eric

Apr 22, 2017 at 08:07 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Earth Day 2017

arbitrage wrote:
Beautiful jags Eric. The destruction humans have done to this planet is staggering. As a single individual it is hard to know where to help.

TFS
Geoff

---------------------------------------------

soupy wrote:
There's a quote I have tucked away somewhere that says, generally, that "only after the last tree has been cut down and the last grass paved with concrete that we realize that we can't eat money". We all need to continue to do our little part to reduce our footprint on this earth and try to leave it a little better.

Sue

birdied wrote:
"Sometimes you will never know the value of something until it becomes a memory " - Dr. Seuss

I hope that all the creations we love to photograph are around for many generations and don't become memories only.

There are so many complicated issues - poverty, hunger, over population, greed, pollution of the air, seas and aquifers,, unintended consequences , just to mention a few. Hard to know where to start as an individual . However, I do hope that each little effort one makes counts for something .

Lovely shots Eric.

Birdie

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Eric...

Beautiful photographs of why our planet needs to be preserved for future generations. I hope that someday future generations will be able to see these wild creatures in their native habitats and not just our photographs.

I'm reminded of Joni Mitchell's lyric:

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And they put up a parking lot."

Thanks
Tom

surfnron wrote:
Very well done Eric. I agree that we all need to do what we can ~ Ron

morris wrote:
Well stated Eric. Over 4.5 billion years earth has repeatedly demonstrated that it can heal and it will do so with our help or after we eradicate our selves. I have a strong preference for the first method.

Morris

YneGrwr wrote:

eyelaser wrote:
Thanks for sharing that...powerful indeed. It is a sad state of affairs and we will all suffer for it.
Eric

Thank you to all who commented...we live in a time where every day seems to bring us new challenges, new worries, and an existential threat I have not felt since as a kid in the early 1960s during the Cuban Missle Crisis....yet, there doesn't seem to be a long term plan and what passes as policy seems to be rooted in ideas that might solely impact the bottom line.
I've repeated this quote before and I will continue to many times over.
We are all entitled to our own opinions....we are not entitled to our own facts.

Eric

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:55 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Earth Day 2017

So we need to get out and see the "jags" of the world, while we still can. In a small way, it may be the best thing anyone can do to help.
Don

May 01, 2017 at 08:44 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Earth Day 2017

My hope is that we can all encourage people to just get outdoors and experience what nature has to give us.
Experiencing nature in all her splendor refreshes and revitalizes mind, body, and soul... in my opinion.
As folks come to truly appreciate nature, and discover that we are built to need this refreshing as much as food and water... well then maybe each person will live their lives with better purpose to make a positive difference in all of their choices. Maybe.

Thanks for the thought provoking words Eric... and the images are amazingly beautiful my friend.

Kirk

May 02, 2017 at 08:48 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Earth Day 2017

I think we'll be alright. The last time it was really hot (10,000 or so years ago) there were megalion, megacheetah, megaleoperd (jaguar), and other megafauna roaming up into Canada. Wolves and cats are making a comeback. The real threat to the wildlife is subsidized agriculture, EPA turning a blind eye when big cities like chicago decide it's ok to try and single handidly kill the gulf of mexico, lack of leadership by the USFWS and state DNRs with regards to informing landowners wanting to be wildlife stewards how to accomplish that goal. Feeling guilty and wearing it on your sleeve solves nothing.

Eagles BTW are breeding like rabbits across the USA. Coopers Hawks were very rare in the midwest until they realized breeding in subdivisions was a great idea. Once Osprey figure out they need not be so picky about nest locations we'll be covered up in those too. White Wing doves were quite rarish in the 90s in Texas until they figured subdivisions were good places to live.

May 02, 2017 at 09:00 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Earth Day 2017

Beautiful Jaguar, Eric. Was it on the hunt for black caiman?

-Tam

May 03, 2017 at 09:15 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Earth Day 2017

eyelaser wrote:
....Science is real, facts are real, opinions are irrelevant in the face of real data. Destroying habitat especially rain forests in the name of economic gain is folly. We will pay the price and no amount of money, no bluster from denying politicians will make us whole again.
As wildlife photographers and more so as inhabitants of this planet we should all be concerned. No more bald eagles soaring above....no more hummingbirds flitting back and forth....polar bears on the brink of extinction within our lifetime....big cat numbers down 80-90%....and the statistics go on and on.
When you make decisions on
...Show more

FMers are prime examples of how photographers can make the public and politicians more aware of what's at stake when governments make decisions about our natural resources. Eric, your fine photography is an excellent example. FMers, you can increase the effectiveness of your work in this regard by being sure to label your images with the names of your locations and terms like "National Monument," "National Park," "Wildlife Reserve," etc., so people searching for information on these areas can more readily find your photos. I recently did this for the Carrizo Plain National Monument and the Salton Sea. When President Trump just announced plans to potentially eliminate or reduce the environmental protections for up to 40 National Monuments, including The Carrizo Plain, the views of the Carrizo Plain gallery on my photo share site (Smugmug) and FM posts went way up--people were searching for more information. The same happened when the L.A. Times and New York Times ran articles raising public awareness about the huge destructive impacts of water diversions on the Salton Sea. It's one way we can contribute to informed, rational, fact-based decision making.

May 03, 2017 at 03:21 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.