New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

Someone posted a cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank in the comment section of that article and I thought it was useful enough to post here as well. His original post is here and describes the following:

Dummy battery module to supply camera power from AC
USB Powerbank with 9V/12V output

The dummy battery module cable is segmented so it'll allow DC from the powerbank instead of the included AC adapter. Sony cameras take 8.4V off the battery; the 9V setting of the powerbank should work. Also, as described by the dpreview poster, if you need the ability to turn the camera off/on alot without having to engage the power bank's on-switch separately you can attach a constant power draw to the battery, such as via small fan like this one.

The total cost for dummy battery module and power bank is $80.89. Sony's NPA-MQZ1K is $399

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:15 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

Btw I just remembered the A7rII/A6300 added the ability to charge the camera over USB while in-use. Assuming a standard USB power bank can supply enough amps to run the camera that would mean an alternate solution would be a simple USB power bank without the need for a separate 9V output.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:35 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

snapsy wrote:
Btw I just remembered the A7rII/A6300 added the ability to charge the camera over USB while in-use. Assuming a standard USB power bank can supply enough amps to run the camera that would mean an alternate solution would be a simple USB power bank without the need for a separate 9V output.

I've had very mixed results when trying to power the camera using a USB only powerbank. It may charge the battery but often can't power the camera when using the dummy battery. The XTPower powerbank however, works very well using the 9V output with the dummy battery. I have used it many times for timelapse and cold nights out in the field. It takes the worry out of switching batteries while doing a long timelapse. I simply velcro the powerbank to my tripod. Simple and effective.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

rji2goleez wrote:
I've had very mixed results when trying to power the camera using a USB only powerbank. It may charge the battery but often can't power the camera when using the dummy battery. The XTPower powerbank however, works very well with the dummy battery. I have used it many times for timelapse and cold nights out in the field. It takes the worry out of switching batteries while doing a long timelapse. I simply velcro the powerbank to my tripod. Simple and effective.

Yep, I just tried a 2A USB powerbank on my A6300 while recording in 4K and the battery level still drops noticeably, which means the dummy-battery route with the XTPower is the way to go for heavy-use applications like video or time-lapses.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:47 PM
KGKG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap alternative to Sony's new NPA-MQZ1K power bank

Aside from having the "Sony" name on it; the ability to charge the batteries in place; included dummy battery; two extra batteries and the built in 1/4" mounting holes, at $400 it's not something I'll bite at.

I've been quite happy with a setup similar to snapsy's.

I opted to purchase a more powerful power bank and, not wanting to trust the camera to down grade the incoming voltage, a "regulated" dummy battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFMUBYG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1124612-REG/indipro_tools_pr2sa7_69sa7_2_5_mm_to.html

At 23,000 mAh the power bank gives me the equivalent of 10 2280 mAh NP-FZ100 batteries and 22 1020mAh NP-FW50 batteries.

Both the power bank and regulated dummy battery can be had for $118. As a bonus the power bank comes with a load of adapters that allow for powering / charging just about anything you can think of with a barrel jack port.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password