New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

I recently made the switch from my Canon 6D to the Fuji X-T2. I am still figuring out my lens lineup but am very satisfied with the lenses I have thus far. I have a 10-24mm, 35mm f2, 50mm f2 but am looking for something a little longer...preferably in the 70mm to 90mm range.

Earlier this week I read somewhere (sorry, don't remember where) a hint/trick about manual focusing. The person said they would shoot RAW but have the film simulation set to ACROS and the focus "blinkies" to red (I think it is MF Assist or Focus Peaking). So when you go to edit the file it isn't actually black and white because you shot RAW. However what you see in the viewfinder stands out well because of the black and white. Anyway...I tried this and was surprised at how easy it was to focus using my 50mm f2. Definitely would recommend trying this if you shoot some manual lenses though this lenses was capable of autofocus.

I have also been watching lots of videos where people have had good success adapting lenses to Fuji so I am thinking of buying some less expensive lenses as this focal length is not an extremely common need for me.

Has anyone tried the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 or f1.8? If so, do you have any feedback. Are there any other lenses I should be considering in this focal length? The use would be portraits, flowers and occasional landscapes. I am considering this as it can be cheaper than the Fuji 90mm, can be lighter than the Fuji 90mm (although not critical for me), the f2.5 is even pocketable and I have now found manual focus to be easier than expected. I have also heard great things about the Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 only having 6 elements and therefore great micro contrast.

Would appreciate any experience, advice, etc.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:39 AM
starlights
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Did you consider Tamron 90mm f2.5 (52BB)? Solid MF performer, razor sharp w/o and superb macro/close focus to boot. Can be had for under $150.

Picture example: https://flic.kr/p/ApzM7L

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

starlights wrote:
Did you consider Tamron 90mm f2.5 (52BB)? Solid MF performer, razor sharp w/o and superb macro/close focus to boot. Can be had for under $150.

Picture example: https://flic.kr/p/ApzM7L

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Slightly cheaper even than what I was looking at. What is the difference between the 52B and the 52BB?

Also, I am not familiar with Adaptall-2...if I get one that says Pentax K, for example, I would then just need a Pentax K to Fuji X. So there would be a total of 2 adapter right?

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Do you still have any of your Canon lenses?

I have been enjoying shooting with the CANON EF 24-105, 85/1.8 and 200/2.8.

Haven't yet tried the hack to change the aperture so I'm stuck shooting these lenses wide open but its surprising how enjoyable its been. At least while I decide which of the longer Fuji lenses to buy next.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Contax 85/2.8 if you are OK with f/2.8 and spending a bit more.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Maybe the Samyang / Rokinon 85/1.4. I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. It has a manual aperture ring like the Voigtlander. They make it in a Fuji mount. If you get the Canon or Nikon mount version, you'll need an adapter.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

I have the Fuji 90/2 and it is spectacular, but heavy...

So I totally understand what you're after. An option you might like to try is the Olympus 85/2 (later model). I just got mine yesterday and have been putting it through its paces. It weights 260 grams (so a fraction of the Fuji). I got it because I needed a set of lenses that I could use with a tilt-shift adapter. Last night I did some side-by-side comparisons with the Fuji. Interestingly, either Fuji is an optimistic 90mm, or the Olympus is a generous 85mm (or both) -- because they're not that different in terms of angle field of view on APS-C.

Anyway, the Olympus did very well in comparison to the Fuji. The Fuji is unquestionably a sharper lens, and it's excellent from wide-open. However, the old film-era Olympus is astonishingly good from f/5.6 on. It's a bit softer at f/4, and quite soft at f/2. But from f/5.6 I was amazed at how close it is to the Fuji -- and best of all it's good across the frame on APS-C. I will use it without hesitation for tilt/shift, but also when I want a short tele but don't want to carry the big Fuji.

There are tons of other good film-era options out there too by the way. I'm like Olympus OM's for their quality and tiny size.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:07 PM
starlights
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

drewmey wrote:
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Slightly cheaper even than what I was looking at. What is the difference between the 52B and the 52BB?

Also, I am not familiar with Adaptall-2...if I get one that says Pentax K, for example, I would then just need a Pentax K to Fuji X. So there would be a total of 2 adapter right?

The adaptall adapter is just like the bayonet-mount on any other lens, so that will not really add to your overall thickness. It becomes a part of the lens

Yes you will need the adaptall to whatever brand and that brand to Fuji adapter.

I think the 52BB is the newer version, its lighter and that's the one I have - I really like it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:46 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

It looks like the OP is looking for an adapted lens in the 70-90mm length, so more of a full frame equivalent of a 105-135mm on the aps-c bodies. That being said, that does narrow down the options.

I would consider:
Tamron 90/2.5 - truly an excellent optic.
Minolta MD 85/2 - Excellent performance.
Canon FD 85/1.2 - shallow dof is quite seductive
Leitz/Leica 90 Summicron-R

The Tamron is quite affordable. The rest will be $350ish to $800.

My splution, as I like the longer focal lengths for portraiture, but not landscapes, was a MB Speedbooster. I went with the one for Minolta SR mount as I have a few Minolta MC/MD's I just love. One is the MD Tele-Rokkor 135/2.8 (4/4). Excellent optic and it provides the 135/2.8 equivalent of the 90/2, but for $70ish.

135/2.8's are cheap as can be, and many of them are truly excellent. They also give me the option of a 200/2.8 with a dumb adapter.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:09 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Thanks everyone for all the great considerations. I still am not positive which one I am going to go for, but I at least have some options to search.

Apr 24, 2017 at 07:10 AM
ragsn_old_iron
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

starlights wrote:
The adaptall adapter is just like the bayonet-mount on any other lens, so that will not really add to your overall thickness. It becomes a part of the lens

Yes you will need the adaptall to whatever brand and that brand to Fuji adapter.

I think the 52BB is the newer version, its lighter and that's the one I have - I really like it.

There are direct Fuji X to adaptall mount, there is no need two adapters. I have four Adaptall lenses and four Fuji X mounts permanently on them. I also have EF and Sony E-Mount dire2to adaptall, you can buy them from a USA supplier on ebay, they are inexpensive and work better than a two adapter solution.

May 01, 2017 at 07:29 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

Seriously consider the Fuji 90. It is a great lens all around.

I'll offer a second vote for the Contax 85 2.8 and add in the Contax G 90 2.8. Great lenses, very sharp with great colors and contrast! I have both but haven't used them on Fuji since I got the Fuji 90.

This range is also ripe with manual focus macro lenses, most of them very good.

May 01, 2017 at 08:55 AM
hurz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-T2 70mm to 90mm Adapted Lens Options

I had the Samyang 85mm/1.4 on my Nikon before I made the switch to Fuji and loved it. Gorgeous bokeh, handles very nice but hard to focus perfectly at widest aperture (better on a Fuji with the manual focus aids I'm sure).
But when switching to Fuji it just got to big with the Nikon adapter on the smaller camera for my taste.

I sold it with all the Nikon gear and over time got a SMC Pentax 100mm/F4 Macro (now on sale) and the Tamron 90mm/2.5 Adaptall Macro to try on the Fuji-X cameras (X-E1 and now X-T1).
I would say all three lenses are optically very good with the Samyang maybe having a slight edge.

The Pentax was quite long for most situations and though very well built the Tamron feels like a tank compared to it and has a bigger max. aperture and better Bokeh.
So I usually preferred the Tamron, especially for portraiture from some distance, details of my little daughter and also for digitalization of B&W film negatives.
Plus it's a really good macro lens at the same time! A tad lower contrast and sharpness wide open as many a legacy glass but other than that a very good bang for the buck (at about half the price of the Samyang!).

But I agree with some posters above, if you can afford it, absolutely get the divine 90mm Fuji.
Not only does it auto-focus, it's probably the sharpest lens I have ever used across all camera systems I tried.
And if you consider the adapter you need with legacy lenses it's not all that big or heavy in comparison, e.g. the Tamron is a heavy hunk of metal too.

May 11, 2017 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.