New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Let me know what you think of this lens. Am thinking about getting one myself. Comparison against the Olympus 7-14:

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/micro-four-thirds-lenses/pana-leica-8-18mm-2-8-4-0-vs-olympus-m-zuiko-7-14mm-f2-8-pro/

johnvanr wrote:
Thanks. Seems it's a good lens, except for exhibiting too much flare. I'll see how it works for me. I find the 7-14mm too large and heavy for the little super wide angle work I do and always hesitate to take it on trips, for which I have the 9-18, but that lens doesn't equal the quality, reach and aperture of the top wide angle zooms.

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:55 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I have bought a 9-18, a surprisingly small lens that I had my eyes on even before I had a M43 camera. It is perfect for hiking and has a size that you relate to M43.
I will buy a 6mm or 7mm prime lens from Olympus if they introduce such a lens.

Jul 05, 2017 at 04:02 AM
sidetracked

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Me too! Going to pair it up with the 25mm/1.8. See you in Europe.

johnvanr wrote:
Interested in any reviews. Just ordered one for a trip to Europe and hoping it can replace my Olympus 7-14 and 9-18.

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:44 AM
ijm5012

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

bobbytan wrote:
Let me know what you think of this lens. Am thinking about getting one myself.

Hey Bobby, I just figured I'd offer my thoughts since I saw you ask about it.

I had a 7-14 PRO and filter system for it, sold both to get the PL 8-18, and don't regret it for a second. Thinks I like about it over the 7-14 PRO are:

- screw-in filter threads let me share my 72mm ND & CPL filters with my other lenses, allowing for a MUCH more lightweight and compact kit for UWA long exposures.
- the 200g weight savings is a BIG deal, and very noticeable when handling the lenses, and is appreciated if you're traveling with a bag on your back for an extended period of time.
- the 18mm telephoto end makes this a suitable walk-around lens in a city, where-as I felt the 7-14 PRO was always a bit too short on the long end
- the flare resistance of the PL 8-18 is BETTER than the 7-14 PRO. Anytime I would take a shot with the 7-14 PRO where the sun was in the frame (i.e. sunrise/sunset), I would get these big, ugly red heptagons in the image, basically ruining it. While there is still flare with the PL 8-18, it's nowhere near as bad as what I got with the 7-14 PRO.
- My copy of the PL 8-18 is sharper than my 7-14 PRO. This is likely due to the severe field curvature issues that the 7-14 PRO experiences, of which I don't see with the PL 8-18.

Really, the only two "downsides" IMO are the loss of the MF clutch on the PRO, and the constant aperture (although this isn't a huge deal thanks to the IBIS of Olympus cameras). The 7mm vs 8mm on the wide end is a difference, but not one that affects the way I use the lens, and certainly not worth justifying keeping the lens over the PL 8-18.

In summary, the benefits of the PL 8-18 FAR outweigh the negatives, and it was a no-brainer for me to switch (and I'm glad I did). If you're hesitating at all, I'd say don't, and get the PL 8-18 (just make sure to test the copy you get, since numerous people have reported decentered copies. Fortunately, mine appears to be fine after doing some testing at various focal lengths and apertures).

Hope this helps...

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Thanks for your insights. I moved from Panasonic 7-14 to Olympus 7-14. Both have their strengths and shortcomings, and all things considered, I felt that I would be better off with the Panasonic (mostly because of the size/weight) so I got rid of the Olympus and went back to Panasonic. I have since sold my Panasonic when I bought a Sony A7R II and FE 16-35 ... but I am in the process of selling this combo - so I am back in the market for an ultra w/a zoom or prime lens below 12mm.

I am currently leaning towards the Panny 8-18 but the thing I will miss most is the 7mm FOV. I don't need the longer reach as I have my Oly 12-40. Filters are nice to have, especially the ND filters for the smooth-water effect - but I can live w/o the PL filter. With an ultra w/a lens, PL filters don't usually cover the whole sky, so it can look rather patchy. Also, it's easy enough to darken the skies in post.

Hopefully Olympus (are you listening Olympus?) will bring out a 6-12mm zoom lens (like the Sigma 12-24) so we can then have the perfect "Holy Trinity" zoom lens set of 6-12 + 12-40 + 40-150.

ijm5012 wrote:
Hey Bobby, I just figured I'd offer my thoughts since I saw you ask about it.

I had a 7-14 PRO and filter system for it, sold both to get the PL 8-18, and don't regret it for a second. Thinks I like about it over the 7-14 PRO are:

- screw-in filter threads let me share my 72mm ND & CPL filters with my other lenses, allowing for a MUCH more lightweight and compact kit for UWA long exposures.
- the 200g weight savings is a BIG deal, and very noticeable when handling the lenses, and is appreciated if you're traveling with
...Show more

Jul 12, 2017 at 03:57 PM
ijm5012

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

bobbytan wrote:
Thanks for your insights. I moved from Panasonic 7-14 to Olympus 7-14. Both have their strengths and shortcomings, and all things considered, I felt that I would be better off with the Panasonic (mostly because of the size/weight) so I got rid of the Olympus and went back to Panasonic. I have since sold my Panasonic when I bought a Sony A7R II and FE 16-35 ... but I am in the process of selling this combo - so I am back in the market for an ultra w/a zoom or prime lens below 12mm.

I am currently leaning towards the
...Show more

Bobby,

I'm curious, why are you moving away from the Sony (especially with the recently announced 12-24 FE, which based on early tests, appears to be a fantastic lens)?

I too went Panasonic 7-14 to Olympus 7-14 PRO before owning my PanaLeica 8-18, and if you don't care about filters, then I agree that the Panasonic 7-14 is probably the way to go. The Panasonic is excellent optically, and other than the lack of filter threads, weather sealing, and purple blob issue on Olympus cameras, it's a remarkable lens.

Regarding the hopes of Olympus making a 6-12 PRO when they already have the 7-14 PRO, I think you'd be waiting an awfully long time for that to happen, if it ever would (my bet is that it wouldn't). If you really want something wider than the 14mm FoV, then the best deal going right now is the Sony 12-24 FE.

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I need the money - and I really cannot afford to keep 2 systems. Besides, traveling with and using 2 different systems is a real PITA, and somehow I could not get used to the Sony. I am so comfortable with Olympus that a part of me refuses to make the effort to learn and use the A7R II. I shot only 80 images in the 4 months that I had the camera. Better that I sell now while the price is still strong and before Sony announces the A7R III.

ijm5012 wrote:
Bobby,

I'm curious, why are you moving away from the Sony (especially with the recently announced 12-24 FE, which based on early tests, appears to be a fantastic lens)?

I too went Panasonic 7-14 to Olympus 7-14 PRO before owning my PanaLeica 8-18, and if you don't care about filters, then I agree that the Panasonic 7-14 is probably the way to go. The Panasonic is excellent optically, and other than the lack of filter threads, weather sealing, and purple blob issue on Olympus cameras, it's a remarkable lens.

Regarding the hopes of Olympus making a 6-12 PRO when they already have the
...Show more

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:34 PM
ijm5012

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Ah ok, makes sense. I've read many reports over on mu-43.com of users who purchased an A7, used it and ended up coming back because they felt that the Olympus cameras were just more "polished'. I personally can't speak to that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to pick up a used A7 II to use with vintage Canon FD or Olympus OM prime lenses. However, the Voigtlanders are currently holding me over.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think we're going to see a 6-12 PRO from Olympus, so you're likely best off to just pick up a 7-14 PRO. Fortunately, used prices are pretty darn good these days.

bobbytan wrote:
I need the money - and I really cannot afford to keep 2 systems. Besides, traveling with and using 2 different systems is a real PITA, and somehow I could not get used to the Sony. I am so comfortable with Olympus that a part of me refuses to make the effort to learn and use the A7R II. I shot only 80 images in the 4 months that I had the camera. Better that I sell now while the price is still strong and before Sony announces the A7R III.

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

The A7R II is a much more sophisticated and refined camera compared to the A7 or A7R but somehow the the E-M1/1.2 is still a more fun camera to shoot with IMO. I agree that Olympus is not going to make a 6-12mm lens as it will only cannibalize the sales of their 7-14 PRO. Maybe I should keep my A7R II, sell the FE 16-35 and get the new Sony FE 12-24/4 lens instead for my landscape work!

ijm5012 wrote:
Ah ok, makes sense. I've read many reports over on mu-43.com of users who purchased an A7, used it and ended up coming back because they felt that the Olympus cameras were just more "polished'. I personally can't speak to that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to pick up a used A7 II to use with vintage Canon FD or Olympus OM prime lenses. However, the Voigtlanders are currently holding me over.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think we're going to see a 6-12 PRO from Olympus, so you're likely best off to just pick up
...Show more

Edited on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:51 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

If I have to keep two system I personally would go with Oly with Caninkon FF.

Looking at size of FE lenses and lack of strong weather sealing and short battery life, if you are planning limited FF set (2-3 lenses) you could get much more capable systems in much less money with Caninkon FF DSLRs at the cost of little more weight.

Thatís the reason D750 and EM1.2 is my constant system while I keep trying others just for the sake of fun.

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ijm5012

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

When I said "A7", I didn't necessarily mean the original one, but rather one of the cameras in the A7 line-up (whether it be a Mk. I or II). I do agree that the Mk II's are much more refined, but people still seem to find numerous faults with them (likely because they don't operate the same way the camera they're used to does).

If your sole intention is landscape, here's a thought that may make it more financially feasible for you: Sell the A7R II and 16-35 f/4, and pick up an original A7R and the 12-24 FE.

Yes, the original A7R is more clunky compared to the A7R II, but if you're only planning on using the camera to shoot landscapes from a tripod, does that really matter? The files from the A7R are still magnificent, and a used copy can be picked up for around $1,000. Add to that the $1,700 12-24 FE, and you're at $2,700. The sale of the A7R II and 16-35 f/4 will more than cover cost of that kit.

Just some food for thought...

bobbytan wrote:
The A7R II is a much more sophisticated and refined camera compared to the A7 or A7R but somehow the the E-M1/1.2 is still a more fun camera to shoot with IMO. I agree that Olympus is not going to make a 6-12mm lens as it will only cannibalize the sales of their 7-14 PRO. Maybe I should keep my A7R II, sell the FE 16-35 and get the new Sony FE 12-24/4 G-Master lens instead for my landscape work!

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:21 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Bobby
We can expect a prime maybe. But not a zoom from Olympus. 6mm prime will be great. Even 7mm will be great. What about a 6-7mm zoom

I have bought a 9-18 for now. I am new to the system but you guys seem to have used it all.

PLs kill the reflections also and cut the haze if I click from a plane window.

bobbytan wrote:

I am currently leaning towards the
...Show more

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:42 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Though I am thinking about a future Sony purchase with a 35/50 fast prime, I am not so sure now.

Thing is, I have become so heavily invested in Olympus and so fast Last thing I want is to have gear lying around not getting used.

bobbytan wrote:

Jul 13, 2017 at 01:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

And that's been my problem. I too am heavily invested in Olympus, and this is my 3rd FF Sony in 2 years! But I am drooling over their new 12-24/4 lens as that FL is great or landscape and I believe this lens rocks. I am now hoping that the pending sale does not go through!

nandadevieast wrote:
Though I am thinking about a future Sony purchase with a 35/50 fast prime, I am not so sure now.

Thing is, I have become so heavily invested in Olympus and so fast Last thing I want is to have gear lying around not getting used.

Edited on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:50 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2017 at 03:10 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Haze? LR CC has a Dehaze filter which works very well!

nandadevieast wrote:
Bobby
We can expect a prime maybe. But not a zoom from Olympus. 6mm prime will be great. Even 7mm will be great. What about a 6-7mm zoom

I have bought a 9-18 for now. I am new to the system but you guys seem to have used it all.

PLs kill the reflections also and cut the haze if I click from a plane window.

Jul 13, 2017 at 03:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

I can't stand the A7R clunky/noisy shutter, etc, etc. It's A7R II or just stick with my Olympus.

ijm5012 wrote:
When I said "A7", I didn't necessarily mean the original one, but rather one of the cameras in the A7 line-up (whether it be a Mk. I or II). I do agree that the Mk II's are much more refined, but people still seem to find numerous faults with them (likely because they don't operate the same way the camera they're used to does).

If your sole intention is landscape, here's a thought that may make it more financially feasible for you: Sell the A7R II and 16-35 f/4, and pick up an original A7R and the 12-24 FE.

Yes, the original
...Show more

Jul 13, 2017 at 03:15 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Ugh, that 12-24 almost tempts me to consider the A7RII yet again. Fortunately for my wallet Sony botched the 24-70/4 so badly that every time I'm tempted to try the A7RII I just remember there is no useful, cost effective, moderate weight landscape zoom for the system without getting into adapter silliness. Not going to pay thousands of dollars to deal with a kludge. Until they have a native mid-range landscape zoom I've written off A7.

As to the 8-18 so far I haven't seen anything making it look like a upgrade compared to the venerable 7-14/4 for landscape shooting. The Oly PRO was a let down due to field curvature - not going to haul around more weight for worse corners! Right now seems to be a lot of sample variation on the 8-18. Will give it a close look when more reviews and user experience. Will be particular interested if it is a good IR performer as well.

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:27 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

For an ultra w/a zoom lens the FE 12-24 is relatively compact and light - compared to the humongous and expensive Canon 11-24. Have you considered the native FE 16-35/4 lens? It's not in the same league as the f2.8 GM version of course, but it's a very decent lens. The Zeiss Batis primes are pretty good too - reasonably priced and lightweight.

kwalsh wrote:
Ugh, that 12-24 almost tempts me to consider the A7RII yet again. Fortunately for my wallet Sony botched the 24-70/4 so badly that every time I'm tempted to try the A7RII I just remember there is no useful, cost effective, moderate weight landscape zoom for the system without getting into adapter silliness. Not going to pay thousands of dollars to deal with a kludge. Until they have a native mid-range landscape zoom I've written off A7.

As to the 8-18 so far I haven't seen anything making it look like a upgrade compared to the venerable 7-14/4 for landscape shooting. The
...Show more

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:11 AM
kwalsh
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Yeah the FE 12-24 looks awesome, that's what piqued my interest again. And the 70-200/4 has seemed pretty decent. But that 24-70 gap. The GM is getting too big for my tastes and the 4 is a hunk of trash - my 12-40/2.8 in hi-res out performs the 24-70/4 so what would be the point. The 16-35/4 seems very decent and way back when I considered it plus the CV 35-70 to get around the 24-70 problem. But then MF and adapter land.

I don't do primes for landscape. Yeah a lot of people do but personally I feel they are often missing the forest for the trees by doing so. You rarely can "zoom with your feet" for landscape without making unacceptable compromises in compositon - camera position is often vital. So you are left with cropping the prime which throws away so much resolution you'd be better with the lower IQ zoom at the optimal focal length for the composition. Or even an entirely lower res system with quality zooms.

Anywho, thanks for sharing your experience with both systems. I've sniffed at the A7 system for years and fortunately so far have found decent excuses to not jump. One day I'll probably rent just to give it a try.

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:30 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for Pre-order

Just traded in my 7-14/4 Panny for the 8-18 PL. It certainly feels good in hand.

First use will be wide angle video during the eclipse (if I can get to my spot in Oregon).

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password