4       end

Archive 2017 · Chimping

Milan Hutera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Chimping

dhlewis wrote:
Google is your friend

http://www.breakthroughusa.com/eb1-green-card-success-story-by-rob-hollywood-photographer/

Are you sure? That is a page of a lawyer and EB-1 is a form of employment visa for the US...

Apr 24, 2017 at 08:29 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Chimping

Snopchenko wrote:
Huh... The only time I formatted a card in a camera was when my wife's Wi-Fi SD card started behaving odd - like reporting a bunch of unreadable files with impossible names and sizes. The last time I've seen such behaviour was with floppy disks in early 90s (and odder still was the fact that CHKDSK utility found no fault with the card). After I got her to download all the photos - which is about as easy as moving Mt. Rushmore - I formatted the card and it came back to normalcy.

Well it's IMO a good thing to re-create the "file system" in the device the card will be used in. That should be a bullet proof solution even though formating through computer should be pretty much the same. If a corruption occurs when the card was formatted in camera, there are only two possibilities. Either the card is bad (more likely) or the camera is deffective (happens but it's even rarer than faulty card).

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Chimping

I view my files a lot after a series of shot. I call it learning from my mistakes in nearly real time. The digital age allows me to do it...why not take advantage of it.

I have yet run into troubles with any of it despite a lot of chimping and have only run out of batteries only during airshows where thousands of shots were taken in quick 10fps fashion. Otherwise, a single battery lasts all day (5D3 and 7D2)

Apr 24, 2017 at 02:47 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Chimping

How did the term "chimping" develop? I think if I gave a chimp a camera, it would most likely try to either procreate with it or roll it around on the ground or both.

Apr 24, 2017 at 03:26 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Chimping

rstoddard11 wrote:
How did the term "chimping" develop?

"Look at my pictures."
"Ooh! ooh! Ah! ah!"

Apr 24, 2017 at 07:40 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Chimping

Milan Hutera wrote:
Well it's IMO a good thing to re-create the "file system" in the device the card will be used in. That should be a bullet proof solution even though formating through computer should be pretty much the same.

It's best to format in camera because doing it on a computer might not use the same cluster size. Too small a cluster size could result in severe write performance problems due to the write amplification effect I mentioned above. Presumably the camera makers chose a cluster size suitable for the card and this application, but the default cluster size for FAT on computers is probably suitable for floppies.

I don't think it matters which Canon camera you format in—I've swapped cards between Canon cameras without any problems. ISTR trying a Canon-formatted card in a Sony camera, and that worked too, although the Sony complained about some missing cache files and went ahead and created them; I don't recommend it for actual use.

Apr 24, 2017 at 09:41 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Chimping

I don't see a problem with checking your shots in the camera viewer if you have the time. However,
with high capacity cards so cheap now, why not buy some extras and not erase on the run? Besides the risk of corrupting the card, you also risk erasing something you should have kept.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:05 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Chimping

Milan Hutera wrote:
I'm really surprised by the recent resurgence of "good practices with memory cards" blogs and the number one advice is - format your card. I always thought this is automatic, like a reflex thing. When you take out the memory card it's for transfering the photos to your computer via card reader. I don't use the USB port on camera at all. So it's a reflex thing for me to format the card as soon as I put it back and I know my photos are copied where they are supposed to be. I'm guessing people don't do this
...Show more

People do do this...I do it all the time, exactly as you describe. Some people don't do it and that's the problem.

Apr 25, 2017 at 04:45 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Chimping

rstoddard11 wrote:
How did the term "chimping" develop? I think if I gave a chimp a camera, it would most likely try to either procreate with it or roll it around on the ground or both.

No, it would point the camera at itself and take a selfie...then when you try to get internet famous from that chimp selfie, people would steal it claiming the chimp owns the copyright and not you.

Apr 25, 2017 at 04:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Chimping

BPDsas67 wrote:
Hey all - quick question to see if anyone has actually knowingly caused corruption issues with CF Cards by "Chimping" and deleting as you shoot. Ive read this is a definite "No-No" but still can't seem to help myself from clearing out bad shots as I go... especially when on vacation and trying to save card space. I've done this for years and have been fortunate to never have experienced problems... but I feel like I'm tempting fate. After uploading to computer and backing up to an external hard drive, I always format card after putting back in camera.
I
...Show more
EB-1 wrote:
I have no time for that. Typically I bring over 2100GB of 1000x+ CF cards and 800GB of maxed out UHS-I memory cards on vacation. (I have no UHS-II or other format bodies.) I also keep some slower smaller cards ones in the luggage.

EBH

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I find that incredible! I barely have a 2 TB drive for my files, yet you take 3 TBs on vacation?!?! How many photos do you take? How long is your vacation? With an A7, I filled up about 64 GB of photos and videos in a week and a half in Hawaii.

Milan Hutera wrote:
FYI ... EB-1 has been a member since 2003, has a ton of posts and still we don't know his real name and haven't seen one photo taken by him. Maybe we have seen them elsewhere, he might be Anne Leibowitz or David LaChapelle or some other world famous photographer and EB-1 is just an alter ego ... . So that 3TB worth of cards should be a hint....

dhlewis wrote:
Google is your friend

http://www.breakthroughusa.com/eb1-green-card-success-story-by-rob-hollywood-photographer/

EBH

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Chimping

In down times during games, I go through pics and cull them on the spot. With the touchscreen on the 5D4, it is very, very fast to do this. Just swipe, pinch zoom, move around, delete if so desired, and go to the next.

If I shoot a burst of 6 shots of action, I know pretty much immediately which ones are the keepers and which are not. It is the end results that matter, and it doesn't really mean anything if some cull on the spot, or some upload all their photos and do it on a computer. Since I upload all my photos and run a bulk action on them, which takes a while, the fewer I have the better. That is my workflow anyways.

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:50 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Chimping

I chimp at the begining of a session to check exposure. Then I turn the lcd screen off. I find, during a sequence of frames, the flashing of the lcd screen distracting.

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:56 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Chimping

mogud wrote:
I chimp at the begining of a session to check exposure. Then I turn the lcd screen off. I find, during a sequence of frames, the flashing of the lcd screen distracting.

+1

It's WONDERFUL to have an LCD with a histo and instant review but IMHO it's better to know the camera well enough not to have to rely on it once you have established your parameters and checked all is well. I have review time top of my My Menu list

Many disagree and that of course is fine

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Chimping

mogud wrote:

+1

Same here, usually. OTOH, I'm shooting a HS performance in the States tonight. I'm still in Kansas, Dorothy. I did a practice run last night, and the lighting is all over the place (no surprise), plus it looks like there's a mix of new and old lights, with different colour temperatures. I'm shooting in M, and have to go between about 1/200 to 1/800 sec. depending on where the subjects are located, and what's turned on. In some cases, I have to change shutter speeds by a stop or more, to shoot people on the stage who are nominally "in the same place" (e.g. centre-left vs. centre-right). So, I'm chimping more than usual, to make sure that I am where I think I am, with exposures. Still, I don't have image review turned on - it's just that I manually check recent exposures way more often than usual.

Apr 26, 2017 at 12:08 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Chimping

jcolwell wrote:
+1

Same here, usually. OTOH, I'm shooting a HS performance in the States tonight. I'm still in Kansas, Dorothy. I did a practice run last night, and the lighting is all over the place (no surprise), plus it looks like there's a mix of new and old lights, with different colour temperatures. I'm shooting in M, and have to go between about 1/200 to 1/800 sec. depending on where the subjects are located, and what's turned on. In some cases, I have to change shutter speeds by a stop or more, to shoot people on the stage who are nominally "in
...Show more

I'd be checking all the time Jim given the lighting mess you are in. Good luck.

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:01 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Chimping

I love flicker control on the newer bodies, I find it works actually pretty well!

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:19 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Chimping

I actually had to look up what "chimping was". Interesting term. Getting older and having a small LCD anyways, seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I just wait till I get home and then look at them then.
Plus I like to actually concentrate on one thing at a time, and with wildlife and birds you never know what might happen next. I wouldn't like to think of looking down at my camera , only to have one of those once in a lifetime moments happen, and miss it.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Chimping

Just depends on what you are shooting... When I am on the floor under the basket, and the refs spend 5 minutes reviewing a replay for who fouled whom, there isn't much else to do except shoot folks on the sidelines stuffing their faces with food, or go through the last round of shots to see which can be culled. One action is more beneficial to me later, than the other.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Chimping

mogud wrote:
I'd be checking all the time Jim given the lighting mess you are in. Good luck.

Thanks, Morley.

Shooting at f/4 and ISO 6400, with 'constant' stage lighting; stage-left was 1/640 to 1/800 sec, stage-right was 1/1000 to 1/1250 sec, and spotlight was 1/2000 to 1/2500 sec. Of course, the exposure had to be adjusted as I panned across the stage, or followed somebody moving across the stage. Even though I had it "figured out", I still had to keep checking the histograms, to know when I lost track of my settings.

My biggest problem now is that my 6D cameras pre-date the anti-flicker tech, and so many of the 'good' shots have bogus and/or uneven colour and/or illumination. Also, the colour temp of the spotlight was a lot higher than the other lighting. Shouldn't be a problem though, as I have a couple thousand images to sort through. Hope to get at least three or four keepers.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:12 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Chimping

jcolwell wrote:
Thanks, Morley.

Shooting at f/4 and ISO 6400, with 'constant' stage lighting; stage-left was 1/640 to 1/800 sec, stage-right was 1/1000 to 1/1250 sec, and spotlight was 1/2000 to 1/2500 sec. Of course, the exposure had to be adjusted as I panned across the stage, or followed somebody moving across the stage. Even though I had it "figured out", I still had to keep checking the histograms, to know when I lost track of my settings.

My biggest problem now is that my 6D cameras pre-date the anti-flicker tech, and so many of the 'good' shots have bogus and/or uneven colour and/or
...Show more

The spot light, from your description would be a crazy challenge at that exposure. Sounds like you will be spending a lot of time in post. Have to agree, anti-flicker on the 7d2 is a handy feature. I'm sure once everything is done, you'll find at least 3 or 4 and probably many more out of all that you shot.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.