New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Chimping

BPDsas67

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chimping

Hey all - quick question to see if anyone has actually knowingly caused corruption issues with CF Cards by "Chimping" and deleting as you shoot. Ive read this is a definite "No-No" but still can't seem to help myself from clearing out bad shots as I go... especially when on vacation and trying to save card space. I've done this for years and have been fortunate to never have experienced problems... but I feel like I'm tempting fate. After uploading to computer and backing up to an external hard drive, I always format card after putting back in camera.
I welcome your thoughts and experience relative to this topic. Thanks - Scott

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chimping

I try to ensure that I always have enough cards with me. The few times I've had to do it, it worked OK, but that's rare for me.

P.S. If you've been doing it for years, then I'd just leave it alone. If you're still concerned, then just buy some more cards. There's nothing as self-fulfilling as looking on the internet for people who have had trouble with stuff - any stuff.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:26 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chimping

I've shot hundreds of thousands of frames since I went digital and I've always done a little chimping and deleting. I've never had a problem, but I've read that this procedure can occasionally corrupt a file or file structure. Shrug. Sorry I don't have a firm answer.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:29 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chimping

I don't have any advice on this, I rarely chimp, but if it were a big or even semi-big issue it would be all over the internet and the manufacturers would recommend not doing it, as would the card makers I would think.

It would be a sticky post at the top of every photo forum.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:52 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chimping

I'm of the "leave well enough alone" mind set even though I haven't had any issues with deleting so far. I only delete if running out of card space which is rare as I try to always bring plenty of cards.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:57 PM
RogerZoul

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chimping

I chimp all the time, but I never delete in the field on a 3-inch screen. I might delete something I really want by accident. I think it's a bad workflow. Just get some big cards...at least 128 GB each...you'll need to delete less. And clear off your cards each night at a computer and go out with a empty card each day. And if you can't clear your cards, then just get more cards and avoid deleting stuff in the field.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chimping

I chimp all of the time and I'm proud of it. I also don't delete in the field unless it is obviously badly OOF. Otherwise I insert the card in the reader and use DPP to delete the rest I can't use before downloading.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:38 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chimping

Try not to chimp and delete files as the camera is still writing. At least on a 5DIII which has been known to corrupt memory cards when doing it(had it happen a few times when I was testing this theory)

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:59 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chimping

Zenon Char wrote:
I chimp all of the time and I'm proud of it.

Why not if you find it useful?

I spent the first 25 years or so of my photography career without an immediate, accurate(ish) 100% review of what I had just shot, plus the wonderful histogram and blinkies. Life for me in the analog age was much harder back then.

If you want it use it!

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chimping

dhphoto wrote:
Why not if you find it useful?

I spent the first 25 years or so of my photography career without an immediate, accurate(ish) 100% review of what I had just shot, plus the wonderful histogram and blinkies. Life for me in the analog age was much harder back then.

If you want it use it!

I shot my wife's sisters wedding with film in the 90's. I was a nervous wreck unit I got to see the prints.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chimping

Zenon Char wrote:
I shot my wife's sisters wedding with film in the 90's. I was a nervous wreck unit I got to see the prints.

One reason why after 35+ years as a working pro I have never shot a wedding. Too much stress. Not so much with digital tho

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:25 PM
jorgegarcia
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chimping

solution, don't chimp and bring enough cards.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:42 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Chimping

I had this happen once and lost my card. It showed up as corrupted.

I'm not sure if that was the reason or it was the fact that I was in the desert and it was probably 105 degrees. Maybe the heat was the issue. Maybe it was just a defective card.

Now I just wait until I back up all the files to start deleting.

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:23 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Chimping

I check exposure, quickly. Chimping eats batteries, so i leave deleting etc until i get home.

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Chimping

rstoddard11 wrote:
I'm not sure if that was the reason or it was the fact that I was in the desert and it was probably 105 degrees. Maybe the heat was the issue. ...

Probably not the heat. I've shot extensively in southern Utah with temps up to 110 F, with no card problems.

Hydrate or die.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Chimping

I generally take a test shot, examine, check historgram then delete it. I don't delete any of my subjects until home on DPP, then do a cull of those I don't like for some reason, back up what's left and then give them a real cull just keeping the real keepers on my computer. So far so good.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:32 AM
shackleton12

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Chimping

I normally just use the screen for occasionally checking the histogram and composition. I never delete in the field as I can't really judge a picture until it's on a bigger screen.
For me, (wedding photography) spending too long looking at the screen means I'm not looking at my subject.

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:02 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Chimping

I have chimped and deleted what must've been 10s of thousands photos in camera for the past 11 years on 20D, 40D and 1D IV. The only time I've actually had a card problem was the one time I didn't delete any of the photos, because that wasn't a high volume shooting.

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:10 AM
ChrisAttebery

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Chimping

This is the first time I've heard of this problem. I chimp and delete a lot of photos. Mainly it's middle school basketball pictures in poorly lit gyms. I'm using a 6D with center point focus, EF 100mm f/2 at f/2 and there are plenty of missed focus shots. IMHO it's best to cull the herd ASAP.

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Chimping

BPDsas67 wrote:
Hey all - quick question to see if anyone has actually knowingly caused corruption issues with CF Cards by "Chimping" and deleting as you shoot. Ive read this is a definite "No-No" but still can't seem to help myself from clearing out bad shots as I go... especially when on vacation and trying to save card space. I've done this for years and have been fortunate to never have experienced problems... but I feel like I'm tempting fate. After uploading to computer and backing up to an external hard drive, I always format card after putting back in camera.
I
...Show more

I have no time for that. Typically I bring over 2100GB of 1000x+ CF cards and 800GB of maxed out UHS-I memory cards on vacation. (I have no UHS-II or other format bodies.) I also keep some slower smaller cards ones in the luggage.

EBH

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password