New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Landscaped without water

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscaped without water

I've started to dive into the world of hiking and landscape photography. I'm having trouble finding photos that I like that don't have water in them. I've seen some great images captured that are without water but I can't seem to do it myself. Any tips?

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:16 AM
koarks

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscaped without water

Water is great but (for me) photography is all about light. Pay attention to the light. Look for foreground interest (symmetry, leading lines) and interest in the sky. Sunrise and sunset are great but don't hesitate to go out in bad weather. Breaks in bad weather or clearing storms can be spectacular any time of the day.

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:18 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscaped without water

Open your heart and soul. Feel things. Don't let yourself be prejudiced by other work that you try to replicate. If you are deep in the woods look close. If water turns you on, do water. As Koarks said, watch the light change and what storms do to the landscape. Just when it looks like a storm has made everything too dark and gray for good photos, the post-sunset sun could light the clouds from below and zowie. Some photographers recommend "pre-visualization," but be wary of blinding yourself to unprevisualized opportunities that show up in nature. In the day, don't start too late, nor stop too soon. Amazing changes happen in the morning twilight and after the sun sets. Just go out and let things happen. But, remember that chance favors the prepared photographer, so practice exposure, depth of field, framing, working your ISOs, etc., so you maximize your chances of catching fleeting phenomenon to your satisfaction. Experiment with long exposures. Even when hiking, don't constrain yourself by avoiding a tripod. Get into it and enjoy the feeling.

Apr 25, 2017 at 06:01 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscaped without water

find what you like. I started off just shooting waterfalls, as i grew up in the PNW. But as time went on, i found interest in other aspects.

I usually don't have anything in mind when i go out and shoot.

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscaped without water

Move to SoCal or southern AZ. No trouble avoiding landscapes with water around here. This was only halfway tongue in cheek. If you always find yourself shooting water then remove it as an option.

May 12, 2017 at 05:59 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscaped without water

If you are East of the Rockies water seems to be dominant. Out west we have a plethora of everything else.

May 12, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscaped without water

GroovyGeek wrote:
Move to SoCal or southern AZ. No trouble avoiding landscapes with water around here. This was only halfway tongue in cheek. If you always find yourself shooting water then remove it as an option.

+99 (The average June high here in Sunny Tucson. )

If you con't want to go cold turkey, come out in August when the monsoon borne clouds (water vapor!) put on a grand display.

May 15, 2017 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password