Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

I like my dSLR. I like Live View and video. But I don't like having to use the back LCD as a viewfinder, I prefer to use the normal viewfinder.

Of course the mirror is up for LV and video so there is no other way to see what I'm doing except looking at the back LCD. For me it's not intuitive and besides I need reading glasses.

So I was wondering are there any aftermarket EVF products available for dSLR's, that we can mount in the hot shoe and connect to the HDMI out? Obviously I'd need to lower the body to look through it, but that may work better than the back LCD for me.

Of course I know I could buy a mirrorless with EVF. But maybe there are products to fill this gap, as some transitional thing?

Thanks,
Ralph

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:16 PM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

Maybe not exactly (size wise) what you are looking for but Zacuto makes electronic viewfinders: http://amzn.to/2p1rb1u
Pricy for sure. Or you can pickup a non-electronic 3x LCD loupe: http://amzn.to/2oseZUr

If you don't care much about the size, you can pick up an inexpensive external monitor or connect a smartphone to your camera via CamRanger: http://amzn.to/2oQ01dv

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

Ralph,

Here's what you do. Buy this doohicky and then one of these or one of these or something similar. The first doohicky should alleviate your primary complaint, and the second addresses your need for reading glasses.

I should mention that this solution isn't subtle and will interfere with touch-screen operation if your camera has one. But I use something very similar on my infrared-converted 5D2, and it works well even in bright sunlight.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

While not directly an EVF, I used to use Hoodman products for viewing LV, and when there was no EVF.

http://hoodmanusa.com/

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

I sometimes use a Zacuto Z-Finder for handheld shooting with Alt manual focus lenses. The Z-Finder converts the rear LCD into a great big EVF. More often, I use my GN3 smart phone as a remote viewing screen and camera control device, when I'm using a tripod. Previously, I used a SmallHD remote screen, but the phone provides greater magnification (over USB connection), than the HDMI port offers, plus I have the phone with me, anyway.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:58 AM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

Yes, plenty of field monitors and evfs for DSLRs out there. BUT: your Canon has a mirror in the way of the sensor, so you can only get a read to the monitor when you are in live view/do not have (acceptable, if any) autofocus.

The Z-finders of the world are great for manually focusing though. If you just want to tap your vintage collection of nikkors, the hoodmans or zacutos will be A+.

PS. There are some field monitors in the buy and sell section last I checked. You could buy one of those or a chinese 5/7 inch plastic monitor from amazon and see how you fare.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:15 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

This one looks nice...

https://www.manfrotto.ca/collections/digital/digital-director

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:32 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

Good question ...... I would be more inclined to shoot video if I could use the viewfinder, I seem to be completely useless in using the LiveView screen for anything other than reviewing photos or when using a tripod

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

molson wrote:
This one looks nice...

https://www.manfrotto.ca/collections/digital/digital-director

Seems like basically an enlarged LV screen (with enhanced functions) that wouldn't address the desire for a viewfinder

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:32 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

kosin wrote:
Maybe not exactly (size wise) what you are looking for but Zacuto makes electronic viewfinders: http://amzn.to/2p1rb1u
Pricy for sure. Or you can pickup a non-electronic 3x LCD loupe: http://amzn.to/2oseZUr

If you don't care much about the size, you can pick up an inexpensive external monitor or connect a smartphone to your camera via CamRanger: http://amzn.to/2oQ01dv

Got one of these for the EOS M. USD 13. YMMV, it's never better than the LCD on the back it self...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_nkw=LCD+V6+Extender&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:27 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm traveling and have finally found a spot to connect my laptop. I see this is an issue more people like to solve as I see there are aftermarket products. The $980 EVF seems like a nice one but pricey indeed. Maybe the Zacuto optical finder to mount behind the LCD is a good option. It seems very bulky but maybe it works well. The point is I would like to compose / pan / zoom by turning my head not by twisting my hands, because the former feels more intuitive. Also, the magnification in the viewfinder is much better than viewing the LCD from a distance.
Going to check out the links you gave me, great advice!

Thanks Ralph

Apr 23, 2017 at 05:54 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

So you wanted a tethered solution. Why didn't you say so?

You wrote: "I like my dSLR. I like Live View and video. But I don't like having to use the back LCD as a viewfinder, I prefer to use the normal viewfinder."

Whatever...

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:00 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

The laptop sounds like an interim solution...

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:13 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

rabbitmountain wrote:
Sorry for the delay guys, I'm traveling and have finally found a spot to connect my laptop. I see this is an issue more people like to solve as I see there are aftermarket products. The $980 EVF seems like a nice one but pricey indeed. Maybe the Zacuto optical finder to mount behind the LCD is a good option. It seems very bulky but maybe it works well. The point is I would like to compose / pan / zoom by turning my head not by twisting my hands, because the former feels more intuitive. Also, the magnification in
...Show more

Ralph,

If you're considering an optical finder to mount over the rear LCD, you might do well to consider the Kinotehnik option I recommended over the Zacuto. First, because you are correct -- the Zacuto is bulky. This is due, in part, to the mounting system it uses, which attaches a plate to the bottom of the camera via the tripod mount thread. They do it this way to avoid attaching anything to the back of the camera with adhesive. But the penalty in bulk and weight isn't worth it to me.

The Kinotehnik option uses a frame that attaches with an adhesive strip to the back of the camera. The finder itself then attaches via magnets to the frame. This allows both the finder and the mounting frame to be much less bulky, and allows you to attach or detach the finder in one second. It also leaves the bottom of the camera unencumbered; I know the Zacuto system leaves the battery door blocked on some camera bodies, and complicates matters considerably for those who use quick-release plates for tripod work. The Kinotehnik finder comes with a neck strap, so removing it from the back of the camera is a quick operation -- you just pull it off and drop it, the neck strap keeping it close to your chest so you don't have to hunt for an open pocket or pouch to keep it in.

Many of the reviews you can find will mention that the Zacuto is optically better. That is true, but the difference is only likely to be noticed if you're doing a side-by-side comparison, and is in no way worth the huge price differential. Also, I like the idea that if I accidentally drop the finder over the side of a cliff or damage it, the replacement won't break the bank. I also like that the diopter adjustment is a physical lens that screws in over the finder's objective. Scratches, dirt, etc happen to the removeable/replaceable diopter lens rather than the eyepiece itself.

The ergonomic superiority of the Kinotehnik was so overwhelming that I couldn't see any compelling reason to pick the Zacuto. The significant money savings is just icing on the cake.

Apr 23, 2017 at 07:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does on-camera EVF exist as accessory?

moondigger wrote:
...the Zacuto is bulky. This is due, in part, to the mounting system it uses, which attaches a plate to the bottom of the camera via the tripod mount thread.

That's one way to mount the Z-Finder. Another way, which is not at all bulky, is to attach a slender frame around the rear LCD (frame has peel-off adhesive strip), and the Z-Finder simply clips on and off. No fuss. No muss. No "bulky". I've used this approach for at least five years, on at least three different cameras, and it works great.

© jcolwell 2017

Zacuto Z-Finder on Canon 6D

Apr 23, 2017 at 08:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.