New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

EA6B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

Living Light Kit from B&H. How it handles in the field, quality of light, ease of use, reliability, etc.

Thanks.
E

Link:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1149091-REG/elinchrom_el10430_1_quadra_living_light_kit.html

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:36 AM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

I love my quadras I have three or four lights and two batteries.

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:24 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

Been using the Quadra system since 2009... during that time I had one head short out a few months into ownership, which was covered under warranty. Since then the system has been solid until late last year when I had a pack flake out during a shoot, but it ended up being one of the heads, possibly a flash tube on it's way out (it's been over 6 years, so I guess it would be about time).

I bought a couple of these kits around Boxing Day for a similar price to round out my kit and provide additional backup options.

Quadra is a solid manual output system. Quality of light is very good in respect to color and output consistency shot to shot. Also pretty decent flash duration, but more so with the Action/A head. IMO easy to use.

If you get the Skyport HS transmitter/controller you can remotely control output with a visual UI. The Living Light kit comes with the basic Skyport controller which will also allow output adjustment, but without indication of the current output setting. The HS transmitter will also allow you to do HS sync at higher than the camera's normal sync speed, but this works best with the HS head, though will work with the Pro head included in the kit, but with less uniform across-frame exposure due to the shorter flash duration.

This kit comes with the lead battery, which is OK but does have a relatively finite number of pops compared to the lighter and costlier lithium option. Considering that everyone is now providing lithium batteries as the primary or only option, I'd like to see Elinchrom do similar and cut the price of their lithium battery. There's probably still some applications where the lead battery would be preferred, or a good option, but I think for general use, I'd rather have the lithium. I also recently picked up an ELB kit with the lithium battery and you definitely get more pops.

If you buy the Quadra reflector/modifier adapter you can mount all of the 'regular' Elinchrom light modifiers, some of which are very nice, like the Deep Octas, indirects, etc. But be aware that Elinchrom umbrellas are a 7mm shaft diameter vs. the 'standard' 8mm used by pretty much everyone else. TBH, I'm not sure if the Quadra heads are OK with 8mm shafts, but if not, you'll have to buy the Elinchrom umbrellas, or find a 3rd party brand with Elinchrom specific shafts.

IMO the supplied 2.5m cable is on the short side, especially if you ever want to run a second head from the pack. I've found the 3.5m cables more useful in general.

The points above were just whatever came to mind...

IMO the Quadra is less unique now with all the interesting strobes coming from various Chinese manufacturers, most of which are lithium battery powered. And with TTL, if you care for it, and HSS capability. For example, something similar to the Quadra is the new (still on pre-order) Orlit Rover RT 300Ws pack and head kit for $450 from Adorama. There are some spec differences when you compare them carefully, but overall lights like the Orlit are very interesting.

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:03 AM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

I have the basic Skyport transmitter, the USB and the wifi adapter this allows me to change setting by using the Skyport, my computer pc/cMP/laptop, or iPhone or iPad so I have it covered with two pack setups I have two groups plus my canon speedlites for lighting, I have the quadra to elichrom adapter plus an elichrom to bowens adapter I need another set in the future plus I wish the umbrella mount was standard in stead of the smaller 7mm version but I have stuff to work around for my Apollo type octa sand my standard umbrellas so I'm covered about anyway I turn.

Apr 23, 2017 at 04:40 AM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any thoughts on the Elinchrom...Quadra

Thank you for the input. I will continue researching and see where I end up.

Thanks again.
E

Apr 23, 2017 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password