Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

vern625

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

I have been saving and am now hunting for a used 5D MkIII. My question here is do you all think a lot of movie making hurts the camera? I constantly see ads with low shutter counts (relative to Canon estimate) but not even estimates of movie hours. It has to make a difference but I can find no place where one might read... "800 hours of motion picture use is probably, or roughly, or about, or "I'm guessing" XXXXXX shutter clicks. I'm new here though and there may be several threads with solid opinions. I just don't want to be taken in by a low shutter count camera whose sensor and circuit board have done more work than one in a shuttle launch if you know what I mean. Anyway, any and all opinions and experiences are welcome and appreciated.

Right now I have a T3i which I really like. I am a greenhorn. I think it takes great pictures but I want a full frame and if I am going to get one it is going to be a Mark III. Thanks Again All......

vern625

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:25 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

I asked almost the same question about a year ago and this link was posted in a reply:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1288201/0&year=2014#12284662

To summarize; contrary to popular opinion, video causes much more wear than still photos.

Kelly

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

kellyakinsart wrote:
To summarize; contrary to popular opinion, video causes much more wear than still photos.

Kelly

Very interesting. It makes sense with the vast amount of data being shipped around and the heat created by a sensor being 'on' for extended periods.

I'm so glad I never shoot video

From scanning that thread there doesn't seem to be a 'shutter count' for video so if the body is in good condition there is no way of knowing how much use the sensor has had.

On my 1Ds3 live view shuts off after about 15 seconds because otherwise the sensor gets overheated so even with improvements in new models you can see this killing sensors.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

I think it's generally easy to spot cameras that have been used professionally because they tend to have significant wear on the body. If a camera looks worn, but has low shutter count, it was probably used for video.

I would look for one that looks good and has low clicks.

Apr 27, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

You can always ask about extent of video use. I believe most on FM would be honest. Where seller's name is available, search the internet for indications of heavy or professional video use.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

Kmccarthy wrote:
I think it's generally easy to spot cameras that have been used professionally because they tend to have significant wear on the body. If a camera looks worn, but has low shutter count, it was probably used for video.

I would look for one that looks good and has low clicks.

If a camera went into a gimbal new to be used for video it could well show almost no signs of wear, just like a dslr that has had a tripod bracket attached to save the tripod bush.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM
vern625

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

Just wanted to say Thanks for all you guys input. I have been out of pocket.

kellyakinsart, your post was most helpful. I appreciate all the time you guys have taken to help me out. I am thinking more and more about a refurb. I've been looking and reading about the one I want for over a year and have been almost scammed twice when trying to purchase one. Thank goodness for Amazon A-Z guarantee on one and my itchy neck on the other I still have the money I have saved up for my future camera. So we will see.

Apr 30, 2017 at 07:15 PM
vern625

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Drawback to used 5D MkIII with many movie miles?

So Canon was running a discount for a couple of days and by the time I paid tax (grrr) I bought a refurb 5D Mkiii and 24-70 F4L. After over a year saving and searching I had no patience and not much luck weeding out legit from not-so-legit sales and now both pieces of equipment have a one year refurb warranty. And the best part is I don't have to second-guess myself about whether or not I made the best decision for me. I had searched here for the lens for a while but it seemed I was always a day late. As far as the camera I was always scared I would get one that had lived through the equivalent recording of two or three major motion pictures. Since I could never find one for sale with any kind of estimate of video hours I started figuring video usage would be pretty high on low shutter count cameras. Hence my second-guessing and waffling.

So now I can go back to more important things like learning how to take good pictures.

May 04, 2017 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.