Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

PabloSRT8

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Hi again!
I purchased this lens at a really good price, but it has a lot of dust inside.
I have the service manual.
I already removed the front element, it was very easy but there was barely any dust on it.
The next glass is the one that has the most dust on it, but to remove it I will have to use a "lens spanner wrench" which is coming tomorrow.
Behind this "second glass I see the AF glasses, the ones that move back and forth to autofocus, but I won't be touching those because I would not have any idea on how to adjust them.
This "second glass" I'm talking about does not move; and it looks like it bottoms down in the schematics.
Does anyone know if is safe to remove the "second glass"?
Or does that second glass need to be at a certain distance from the af and front element glass?
second glass is convex on one side and flat on the other, i believe is the ED glass.
By the way, the dust does not affect the picture at all, but it really looks ugly.
Thanks!!

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM
bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Yuh, we know it does not effect the image. On an ultra wide, little water droplets can show. On a telephoto...no.

Anyway....cannot help you man. I really admire you for doing this. Hopefully you will get some feedback here. I will be interested in seeing the exchange. You CAN learn this. Go for it!

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Brave man ... good luck!

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

I took apart a nifty fifty once. That's about all the lens disassembly I'm willing to mess with.

Good luck, I'm in for updates.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:56 AM
jpelt78

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

I have not taken apart anything that big, so no experience with that lens. It may have some shims behind it that maintain the correct position. Just keep track of those if there are any.

Be careful with the spanner, make sure you don't slip and scratch the lens. If possible you might want to try to protect the surface. Sometimes the threads are glued so if it seems too tight don't force it (this is when you will slip). If it is glued it can usually be softened with some rubbing alcohol (higher alcohol percent is best) or acetone applied to the threads (I use an eye dropper to apply). Give it time to work into the joint and apply sparingly so it doesn't run down into the rest of the lens. You may need to repeat application.

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:35 AM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

jpelt78 wrote:
I have not taken apart anything that...

Thank you for the tip.
I was taking a closer look at the dust on that ED glass; some of if look 100% like dust, other almost look like a pin or something damaged the glass from the inside, but when you take a closer look, and you take in consideration that nothing could hit the glass from the inside, makes me believe that it still dust.
Another dust/mark looks a little shiny, almost like a tiny piece of metal...
I wonder if besides dust, this is what happens when an ED glass deteriorates.
If i'm able to remove this glass, I wont wipe it at first, Ill just use an air can, just in case that what ever is on the glass does not get worst or scratches it.
Hoping to do it tonight.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

PabloSRT8 wrote:
Thank you for the tip.
I was taking a closer look at the dust on that ED glass; some of if look 100% like dust, other almost look like a pin or something damaged the glass from the inside, but when you take a closer look, and you take in consideration that nothing could hit the glass from the inside, makes me believe that it still dust.
Another dust/mark looks a little shiny, almost like a tiny piece of metal...
I wonder if besides dust, this is what happens when an ED glass deteriorates.
If i'm able to remove this glass, I wont
...Show more

It could be mold or fungus as well, they've been known to grow inside lenses. As I understand it, the damage from this is permanent.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM
jpelt78

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Yes blowing first and then using a clean lens brush and blowing some more before wiping with cleaning fluid and lens tissue is best. You want to blow away as much as possible first to prevent causing scratches.

It could be some issue with the lens coating. Also the shiny spot could be a tiny spot of fungus. Sometimes they will leave the glass appearing shiny/wet in the immediate area. Fungal growth does not always cause permanent damage. A lot of the time it cleans up pretty well. I have had good luck using hydrogen peroxide to loosen it up. Some use 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and household ammonia. If it is just a small spot or two you could put a few drops on each spot and let it sit for a few minutes then try cleaning it with lens fluid. If it is still there leave the cleaner on longer. If it is a cemented group don't submerge it you could mess up the cement.

Don't worry about it too much since you know the lens shoots well already.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:33 AM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

no experience disassembling such lens. but wear gloves to prevent contaminating the lens with body oils from your fingertips.

and i assumed you have already characterized the af of your lens at different focal length before removing any elements.

the first convex lens collimates (straighten) incoming light rays. so its position relative to lens elements behind its is crucial. but since it is fixed, just be sure to capture all shims if any. and you would want to be careful when handling the shim(s) to prevent nicking the edges or surface.

pls. post your results and images of your disassembly process...

btw, from where were you able to obtain the service manual. i would be interested to get a copy as well. inquiry mind wants to know. :-)

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Update:
Done!
Very easy, I would say too easy.
3 screws and the front element group comes out.
Spanned wrench on ed glass, little bit of pressure, well maybe more than a little and the ed convex glass comes out.
I used an air can, didn't even had to wipe the lenses.
Like I said before, most of the dust was on that convex glass.
I say is about 85-90% clear of dust; the other 15-10% is on the af group glass and I'm not touching those.

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chatcher
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Congratulations. I have a little experience taking lenses apart, but zero successes putting them back together...

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:53 AM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

chatcher wrote:
Congratulations. I have a little experience taking lenses apart, but zero successes putting them back together...

I think is before this lens must be the easiest one they made, and I didn't have to go "far" to get to where I needed to clean.
I've seen some crazy videos on the internet about other Nikon lenses... I could never do those.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

OK Next is auto brain surgery! Once you get thru the skull there's no further pain sincee the brain has no pain nerves. Just be sure not to damage the motor sections because then you can't close. Tell us all how it went-if you can still think/type.

Apr 24, 2017 at 07:06 PM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

SoundHound wrote:
OK Next is auto brain surgery! Once you get thru the skull there's no further pain sincee the brain has no pain nerves. Just be sure not to damage the motor sections because then you can't close. Tell us all how it went-if you can still think/type.

I don't t have what it takes!!! lol
I went as far as I could; the next set of elements are for AF.
I believe they move in sync and are set at a certain distance from factory.
So I don't have the tools or machines to do that.
I'm content with the results.
I paid 810 for it, I think it was a good deal.
It's lightning fast.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM
clay23
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Where did you get the service manual? I have the same lens and am trying to fix the tripod collar

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Where do you get the "service manual" for the brain surgery?

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:49 PM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

SoundHound wrote:

Ebay $7 they'll email the .pdf within the day.
They have many.

Apr 25, 2017 at 01:02 PM
PabloSRT8

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

SoundHound wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ebuyingmart

He has them.

Apr 25, 2017 at 01:05 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

Please....is not a big deal as long as you know when to stop. Also, knowing that certain glass elements can be cemented with loctite. So, don't force it too hard if you see some loctite on the edges. Sometimes, a bit of force can break the bond. If the bond won't break, don't force it and just leave it alone. Generally, you need to dissolve the loctite using paint thinner or high heat. Some glass elements can be removed using a filter wrench too. Remember to use a flash light to check for smears on the optics. Those smears are hard to remove. I would recommend mixing some rubbing alcohol and distill water (50/50) and a box of cotton swipes to clean them...until all the smears and oil are gone. It can take hours...fyi.

Personally, I think a rubber lens spanner is safer to use but you need to buy a set with different sizes. Not all spanners are created equal. One more thing....certain lens elements dealing with the AF may required to be tightened down to a certain rotating position. So, mark down the location before you remove the lens elements.

Apr 25, 2017 at 01:29 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Afs 300mm 2.8d if ed version 1 disassembly.

thanks for the info and link :-)

Apr 25, 2017 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password