New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Ordered these camber plates last week to squeeze out some more negative camber out of the front of my'88 911 but decided to photograph them prior to installation. They're really quite beautiful in the hand and once they're installed you only see the center sticking through the shock mount. These are all focus stacked, between ten and thirty slices and all had two exposures blended for each slice. One new feature in Ps CC that worked out great was the new Match Font command. I found a pretty rough low res copy of their logo online but it was really too scraggly to use. Match Font revealed the fonts, both of which I already had and I was able to re-do that graphic as a vector. All with tungsten modeling lights on a 5DSr processed in CaptureOne v10, Helicon Focus, Serene Stacker and Ps CC 2017. Canon 90mm T/S-E, Sigma 50mm ART and Canon 35mm L II.

Canon EOS 5DS R    Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM lens    35mm    f/11.0    1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 lens    90mm    f/11.0    1/4s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A (Canon EF) lens    50mm    f/11.0    1/1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Awesome.

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:50 PM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Beautiful shots. Got to learn how to focus stack one of these days!

How much camber are you running overall and what are you lowered on?

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

It needs an AS clamp or something.

EBH

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

"How much camber are you running overall and what are you lowered on?"

This is most definitely a street car not a race car. Since every car is a little bit different, mine is a bit on the short end of the stick when it comes to how much I can get with the factory setup. That's right around half a degree negative. I'm hoping to get about -1.5 front and -2 rear. The ride height is at European standard which is about 1-1.5 cm lower than U.S. If these don't provide enough you can get the offset lower ball joints that will push the bottom of the wheel out another 1/2-3/4 degree.

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:07 PM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Peter Figen wrote:
"How much camber are you running overall and what are you lowered on?"

This is most definitely a street car not a race car. Since every car is a little bit different, mine is a bit on the short end of the stick when it comes to how much I can get with the factory setup. That's right around half a degree negative. I'm hoping to get about -1.5 front and -2 rear. The ride height is at European standard which is about 1-1.5 cm lower than U.S. If these don't provide enough you can get the offset lower
...Show more

As a person who tracked a 997gt3 for a few years, and actually worked with Tarett to design a product specifically for my car (see link below on their website of my actual car with the beta version of the product), most 911's want to run the same or more camber on the front than the rear to allow the front to grip and the rear to actually rotate - i.e. what we called the reverse manual track specs (-2.5F, -1.75R).

Absolutely fantastic pictures.

(this is my car)
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-991-products/996-997-991-suspension/996-997-991-shocks~springs/gt3-rear-spring-kit-gt3rsk-detail.htm

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:28 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Great images, Peter. Beautiful hardware. Too bad they can't be seen when installed.

I was really confused by your thread title, especially after coming here directly from Rennlist and Pelican. "Where am I and how did that get here?"

I can see running that much negative camber for track days, but isn't that a bit much for the street?

(As we quickly launch OT).

Mark
(1979 911SC Targa)

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Great shots. I would submit watermarked samples to Tarett and see if they're interested. I would be if I owned that company.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

That's funny Mark. Pelican is just down the road near LAX. I buy a lot of stuff from them. Member of Rennlist too but don't spend a lot of time there. I agree that running that much camber in front is a bit much for the street. I think it's pretty hard to get that much from the older ones without hacking them up.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

wallstreetone - very cool what they did for you. You're in a whole different league with what you're doing or did with your car. My brother spends a lot of time on the track in Northern California but this is just a hobby for me. I just want have a cool car that does well in the twisties of the Santa Monica Mountains.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Yeah, perfect product shots my friend -well done!

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Impressive images.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:59 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Those are gorgeous shots.

But this:

These are all focus stacked, between ten and thirty slices and all had two exposures blended for each slice. One new feature in Ps CC that worked out great was the new Match Font command. I found a pretty rough low res copy of their logo online but it was really too scraggly to use. Match Font revealed the fonts, both of which I already had and I was able to re-do that graphic as a vector. All with tungsten modeling lights on a 5DSr processed in CaptureOne v10, Helicon Focus, Serene Stacker and Ps CC 2017.

Just goes to show at what level you are and how far, far, far away I am. I'm not even interested in trying to get such cool photos because of all that work you just described. Jeez!

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:15 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Thanks Max. What I didn't tell you is how many I re-shot because there was a weird tangency here or I decided it needed more reflectors there. And yes, these were more tedious than normal, whatever normal for me means because there were two exposures for each slice which had to be manually blended with layer masks in Ps, flattened and then dumped into Helicon. And add to that the fact that both Helicon and Zerene were blending the focus alright but blowing out the fine detail in the near specular highlights, so I had to go back to the original tiff for that area and paste those areas back in and blend them. And then finally, when you're this close to these types of objects, you see every flaw on the high res, all of which need cleaning up to make a good looking print. It becomes a labor of love after awhile. I'll hopefully get around to a couple of test prints tomorrow just to see, then on to installing the damn things this weekend.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Very nice.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:39 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Wow, amazing work.

Marcelo

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:08 PM
rmance17

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Those are just fantastic! Shouldn't be long before the company that makes those contacts you. Awesome composition, lighting, and processing!

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:41 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Agreed - they should hire you for product photography.

BTW, I have a '73 (the unit body is a '73 anyway; the rest is hot-rodded with whatever year parts work best). I suggest putting your car on a serious diet to match the suspension.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Making first 24x30 test print now.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:38 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Porsche 911 Camber Plates

Typical Peter Figen excellence. That's all I have to say about that.

Greg

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password