FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

We have two Maha MH-C801D chargers and due to frequent use, thin metal contact pins are becoming worn and both can only charge 7 batteries at a time (makes job prep a circus).

Thinking about another 2 (they've been good), but was wondering if anyone else had a charger they raved about.

Go.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:44 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

I like the Titanium 16-bay charger. I've used it exclusively since July 2014 with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UNPM3M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:30 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

+1 for the Titanium. Just clicked on that link and found I purchased it in September of 2012 and have been using it ever since.

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:40 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

I have the same Maha chargers and I love them.

I like to know I've got the pedigree of such a solid brand when I'm charging batteries that are out of sight for much of the time. Trust is a big thing with battery charging.

If I was buying again, I'd buy more.

Apr 20, 2017 at 07:16 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

Ah. I remember back when I had to charge 40 AA batteries every wedding. That sucked

I do like the Maha chargers best, but since switching to Godox flashes I've downsized to a cheapie 8-bay.

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:50 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

This, it is more expensive but gives great options to keep the batteries perfect !
I have 4 of them though I need no more than 8 batteries per wedding but I take 16.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C9000-WizardOne-Charger-Analyzer-Batteries/dp/B01N6MXQMO/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492726295&sr=1-17&keywords=powerex+batteries

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

Being in need of a new charger and batteries, this thread was relevant. When I went to buy the batteries off amazon I got the same message as always:

"Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order. "

I hate Amazon with a passion. They are due to start up here and when they do they can shove their products up their arse. Every single time I have tried to buy from them I get the same shit. I have tried different accounts at different addresses and still get the same crap. I think my son managed to get a photoshop book out of them years ago but other than that, for me they have been and continue to be a waste of time.

Looking up the Maha Charger, the best price I can find is $129 from Hong Kong.
Can't find the titanium at all but there seems to be an identical unit under another name for about $60 also from Hong Kong.

Last time I looked at chargers it was a nightmare and I went back and repaired the one I had but it would be nice to get one that did 8 or 16 cells at a time.
I would look at building my own but I have not seen the relevant boards set up for AA cells. I can get the proper boards for 18650 Cells that do the charging curves and are fully automatic for $1 ea but haven't seen anything for the 1.2V cells.
I'll have another look and also see if there is any sketches I can use to build something from an Arduino.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM
chrisfphotog
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

mikethevilla wrote:
Ah. I remember back when I had to charge 40 AA batteries every wedding. That sucked

Tell me about it. AA's are so 2105.

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:28 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

I use these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vapex-Fast-Smart-Charger-for-1-8-AA-or-AAA-NiMH-batteries-LCD-display-EU-Plug-/122189757111?hash=item1c7313bab7:g:XVAAAOSwAHZUQOA5

cheap and they work

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:31 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

glort wrote:
Being in need of a new charger and batteries, this thread was relevant. When I went to buy the batteries off amazon I got the same message as always...

Simple...

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

I;ve been very happy with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OU51LG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 01, 2017 at 01:09 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2017 :: your pick for best AA charger

jecottrell wrote:
Simple...

Does not seem exactly simple to me nor risk free both from the POV of complications with getting the goods and the increased charges.

Thanks for the heads up though, there may be something one day I have to have that this would be worthwhile for.
I have bookmarked it just in case.

Postage from the US amazes me and also pisses me off.
I can get things from the UK or Canada for a fraction of the price I can get anything from the US.
Internal postage in the US is cheap as chips.
Shame they thwart international business they could clearly well use by their insulting postage charges. Doesn't cost me the same ridiculous amounts to send stuff to the US so it's like the arrogance of the US postal service and courier companies to try and scam people the other way round.

On battery Chargers, I was in Ikea last week and asked someone about something. They were putting batteries in this neat looking battery charger that they stood up with a bunch of other like books. I asked about it and the guy gave me a very keen demonstration.
They are a 12 position unit doing both AA and AAA.

They have an LCD which monitors each position and shows state of charge or if the battery is faulty. They are not at all a fast charger taking 12 Hours for a 2500 Mah battery. I thought this would be a drawback ( didn't realise till I got home as the guy in the store said they were fast) but it hasn't been a problem.
The slow Charge time isn't a problem for me. I have enough batteries to get me through a weekend of shooting even if I didn't recharge and it's been a long time since I didn't have 12 hours between jobs. I could easily give them a head start taking the charger with me to the event and getting in a few hours there as well as using an inverter in the car if things got that desperate. I'm thinking the slower time is probably better for the batteries and seems to do a more through job than my old charger anyway. For the price of this and the other Ikea batteries, I'd rather just have more cells anyway. I know there will be the brand snobs that this would do for but in my experience with these over priced names, I'd rather go cheaper and in greater quality to make up for the shortfalls I have rarely found anyway. Ikea is a name I trust anyway.

I charged up all my batteries over the weekend and pulled out quite a few the thing indicates are bad. I know they were in there, I often test with a multi meter as to voltage and current but that's not perfect in detecting bad cells, only the really gone ones.
The indicator is a worthwhile feature to me in itself. Once a lot of cells age a bit there always seems to be weak ones that take own the rest you put them with. In eliminating these cells, so far I seem to be getting better performance as all the batteries are up to scratch.

Another thing I have found is charging cells in my old fast, monitored charger and putting them in the ikea unit shows them to be not fully charged and the ikea unit keeps going for several hours before it's satisfied they are full. Putting the AAA's into some LED Torches I have Immediately had me noticing how much brighter they were. They are also lasting Markedly longer.
The other charger has a float mode and I always leave them in some time longer, days at a time even, in that charger but the Ikea unit seems to be charging them better. Perhaps the slower charge is allowing for a higher cut off end voltage due to no heat in the cells as it charges.

I also bought some of their AA and AAA rechargeable's. The AA are rated at 2450 and the AAA and 900 Mah. There are Higher rated AA's now ( and Probably AAA) but in my experience they are over rated in a lot of cases and I actually feel more confident I'm getting a true rating with the more conservative numbers.
Haven't had a chance to really test them yet or even bed them in. I might go to the electronics place today to get some battery holders and then whip up a PWM Discharger so I can cycle the things to get them broken in.

For $40 this unit seems like a real good buy.
Like the guy in Ikea had them, they stack really neatly on a book shelf or a desk and take up minimal room being on edge.
I'd say I would buy another of these except for the fact with about 50+ cells over all, I can't see I'll need another. I'll just have to say I'd recommend them instead especially to those whom like finding things from unexpected sources that cost less and work well .

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20303647/

May 01, 2017 at 05:03 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password