New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lightroom/PS Print Sizes, Screen Viewing, Downsampling etc

rstoddard11
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom/PS Print Sizes, Screen Viewing, Downsampling etc

I am an amateur who occasionally posts digital media for computer viewing and once in a blue moon sells a print here and there.

I have always exported to JPEG in Lightroom with no re-sizing other than just 77% on the quality slider to get slightly smaller files with no noticeable difference in quality. I have canvasses that I have printed which were exported at 60%, which I used to always blindly use.

My question is, when I export, should I be exporting for screen viewing at a particular size say 24" screen resolution and hope that this looks "okay" on smaller and larger screens and is acceptable for the occasional photo print on matte paper or should I be exporting two copies of each, one for computer screens and one for print media? Would that be overkill?

I am almost embarrassed how little I have paid attention to this over the years, with most of my photographs out there just being standard export at 60% quality, which I think was the default Lightroom setting.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:10 PM
rstoddard11
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom/PS Print Sizes, Screen Viewing, Downsampling etc

I guess no advice. I will consult Google and do my best to make a sound decision on the process.

Leaning toward just exporting for digital viewing

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:25 PM
jrhoffman75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom/PS Print Sizes, Screen Viewing, Downsampling etc

In the Export module LR lets you select sharpening for screen or print.

You don't output for screen size in inches; you output pixel dimensions. Its the same number of pixels regardless of screen size.

Apr 23, 2017 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password