FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

realVivek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

As pointed out by someone qelsewhere, the Samyang's mtf are very poor compared to that of the Zony.

As Fred keeps reiterating here, except for the mid distances, the Zony is a stellar performer.

Yes, price is the only advantage that the Samyang has.

darbo wrote:
I want/need a little 35mm. Is there any performance/image quality reason to prefer the Samyang over the Sony Zeiss? Or is the advantage mainly price?

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Yep, Sony's first two lenses for a7 series were unfairly maligned, a little over-priced for sure, but high quality and overall very good lenses for the size of the cameras. Should be many 35/2.8 at a good price new reduced or used. Much better resale appeal as well.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:43 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

philip_pj wrote:
Yep, Sony's first two lenses for a7 series were unfairly maligned, a little over-priced for sure, but high quality and overall very good lenses for the size of the cameras. Should be many 35/2.8 at a good price new reduced or used. Much better resale appeal as well.

I thought the 55/1.8 was rather well regarded.

I have one and quite like it, its compact/light, quite sharp across the frame, and has a very smooth rendering, pretty much everything I like to have in a lens. I prefer it over the 50 Planar for the smaller size and smoother rendering. It does have a bit of LoCA with the right subjects, but for people shots it never really shows up.

I may have been running in the wrong circles, but I always thought when the A7 and A7r came out the 55/1.8 was something of a "must have".

Given there were what, the 35/2.8, the 28-70 'Kit zoom" and the 55/1.8, the pickings were slim for native FE glass though.... lol

I honestly have been a fan of pretty much all the native FE's, save for maybe the 24-70/4, which is a nice size/build, but not very good bang for the buck

The 28/2, 35/1.4 and 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 85/1.4 and 85/1.8 are all pretty cracking, as is the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4, its a pretty quality line-up as a whole.

I'm as happy to shoot Sony as I am to shoot Nikon or Canon, feeling the native offerings don't give up much if anything and are in some cases superior. Still some gaps to fill but I would imagine in a few more years Sony should represent as complete of line-up as any other brand

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:05 AM
ediblestarfish

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Never really had much interest in the Samyang.

My Zony 35mm f2.8 is fine enough for now. Wish there was a Batis 35mm option at f2 or so, along with a 50mm about the size of the 55mm f1.8, but with less LoCA.

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:41 AM
genji
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

I never warmed to the Zony 35/2.8 but I've finally found a use for it: shooting square format pictures, in which case it's excellent even wide open. As it should be, since a 1:1 crop from the center eliminates:

* the soft corners and edges at wider apertures;
* the severe vignetting (still a full stop at f/8); and
* the moustache-style distortion.

Jun 17, 2017 at 07:33 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

I bought the 28 F2 this morning to hold me out till the 16-35 hits the streets. I feel better I filled this 18/35 gap since I Have no mid range zoom now until the 16-35 comes out. But 12,18,28,35,85,135 is a nice set.

Jun 17, 2017 at 09:55 AM
hanumanbob

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Seems to be a lot of speculation here without anyone actually having used the lens. I will make a judgement when I try the lens.

Jun 17, 2017 at 01:34 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

hanumanbob wrote:
Seems to be a lot of speculation here without anyone actually having used the lens. I will make a judgement when I try the lens.

Speculation, on the internet ? How unusual.......

Jun 17, 2017 at 01:43 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Well the MTF charts suggest the lens is soft at the edges. Also, likely not so sharp wide open. So stop it down and you have a ho hum F4.0 who"s only virtue is small size. An (adapted) prime MF lens at F4.0 is not that hard to focus (you have an extra hand since you are not zooming).

I have the 24-70 GM it's a F2.8 also. So I remove the battery grip from my A9 and switch out the GM for this little thing? Now I am FL crippled with average IQ. Really rather shoot either my RX100 MKV (really compact) or the (larger, any FL you want) RX10 MKIII.

Jun 17, 2017 at 02:13 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

GMPhotography wrote:
I bought the 28 F2 this morning to hold me out till the 16-35 hits the streets. I feel better I filled this 18/35 gap since I Have no mid range zoom now until the 16-35 comes out. But 12,18,28,35,85,135 is a nice set.

I also have the 18-28-35 combo. Happy with all of them. 28-35 doesn't seem like that big of a gap but in practice it matters, as does the occasional need for f/2.

With the small form-factor of these primes, I can take my 18, 28, 35, 55, & 85 with me on a trip & still feel like I'm packing light. A tough consideration when I think about picking up a mid-range f/2.8 zoom.

Jun 17, 2017 at 02:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

As direct as possible side-by-side MTF chart comparison:

It's not clear to me that the Samyang will be better or worse than the Sony.

For me it's how sharp the central 2/3rds of the frame is wide open, how it is at f/5.6 across the entire frame, and what happens when you have the sun in the frame . . .

The Sony is pretty darned good at f/2.8, very very good at f/5.6, but suffers when the sun is in the frame. Depending on how the reviews come out I may give the Samyang a try . . .

Samyang 35/2.8 at f/2.8 10 & 30 lpmm

Sony 35/2.8 at f/2.8 10, 20, 40 lpmm

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:23 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

The advantage of these "slow" compact prime lenses are how small they are while mounted on the camera - they are easy to keep on and insert/pull out of the bag.

Zooms, though flexible, tend to get in the way while the camera is slung around my torso and are not as easy to get in and out of a small camera bag.

This is all for light weight travel uses. Clearly for focused photography perhaps the f/2.8 zooms are the way to go.

All I want from these compact lenses are very good IQ wide open and excellent stopped down. Don't need blazing fast AF or OIS ( the A7RII IBIS takes care of that).

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Any samples showing its rendering wide open?

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:57 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

I'm trying to get my fellow Korean contact at Samyang to send me a copy to try out but so far it doesn't seem to be readily available even in Korea yet.

Jun 17, 2017 at 05:50 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
Any samples showing its rendering wide open?

Only on a a6500 so far I think, and they not the best examples...
http://gippslandimages.com.au/samyang-af-35mm-f2-8-lens-review/

Jun 17, 2017 at 05:54 PM
realVivek
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

jhinkey wrote:
As direct as possible side-by-side MTF chart comparison:

It's not clear to me that the Samyang will be better or worse than the Sony.

It should be given that Samyang's numbers are for lines/mm and the Sony ones LINE PAIR/mm.

Jun 17, 2017 at 08:59 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

When Sony introduced 7 series, they really chose to launch great lenses with it, 35 and 55, they could have launched decent $400 lenses also but they went with high quality. Market got pissed and surprised because of price. Now gradually everyone knows the lenses are great. But they never repeated those lenses in other focal lengths. They went PRO heavy route or cheap entry point route.

philip_pj wrote:

Jun 18, 2017 at 04:07 AM
ediblestarfish

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

nandadevieast wrote:
When Sony introduced 7 series, they really chose to launch great lenses with it, 35 and 55, they could have launched decent $400 lenses also but they went with high quality. Market got pissed and surprised because of price. Now gradually everyone knows the lenses are great. But they never repeated those lenses in other focal lengths. They went PRO heavy route or cheap entry point route.

Funny enough, those two lenses are what brought me here from m4/3. Image quality is great, and size is roughly the same or smaller than m4/3 equivalents (or as close as it can be). Sony does not seem interested in making new high quality lenses that are more reasonably compact and lightweight it seems.

Jun 18, 2017 at 06:00 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

Maybe Samyang are getting their toes wet in AF with a simple lens design before their 600mm F2.8, AF VR tele? I have the 24-70 F2.8 so I am not interested.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · In stock: Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE lens

With the benefit of hindsight, yes the first two lenses were much better than appreciated at the time. One theory is that they set out to grab the attention of enthusiasts, even gave away adapters. Sony are now embracing the same big/heavy, 'pro first -> trickle down' philosophy as Canon and Nikon; people expect the a7III to be a kind of poor man's version of the a9. Some more big lenses will come along soon, long telephotos maybe. Interspersed with them will be good value 'vin de table' lenses of unexciting design and good performance levels.

All of which helps explain the arrival of Samyang, Sigma etc. on the FE mount. Still the only game in town though - wide range of legacy manual focus, Sony lights and heavies, and our old friends Zeiss. Zeiss have still not made a lens for the FE cameras that weighs more than 615 grams, in an eight lens range that covers 18mm to 135mm, and most are 300-400 grams. Now that's an achievement.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password