New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Eric Mastilak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-usa-announces-canon-log-feature-upgrade-for-the-eos-5d-mark-iv/

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:06 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Any word on another codec?

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:09 PM
ahmedumair
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Available in July 2017

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

So we went from all the potential great stuff in that hoax to just C-Log? I mean, I'll pay $200 or $300 to get the hoax stuff as an actual firmware update. There's no way I can use my 5DIV for family videos in 4K with this ridiculous codec and crop factor. So if it's just C-Log, this is useless to me and pushes me to another company for my video needs. Damn it Canon.

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:53 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

You would have known about these deficiencies before buying the 5D4, so I am confused why these shortcomings are so important now?

$100 to have Canon clean and install whatever they need for Clog seems like a pretty good update should I decide to sell the camera later. It might be very important to someone else, especially since others will be in the used market that have this from the factory at the very beginning.

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

TeamSpeed wrote:
You would have known about these deficiencies before buying the 5D4, so I am confused why these shortcomings are so important now?

If you were directing that at me, I can answer. I bought the camera as a stills camera. But I also have a family and a toddler, so I want to do videos. The 4K codec and ridiculous crop factor suck. So I had to find something else. I'm with Fuji for videos. Might be going to Sony next after a mishap with Fuji left a bad taste in my mouth. In any case, the hoax rumoured specs would have made the 5DIV the one camera that could do it all. And it's all software that Canon CAN put in the camera. They're just choosing not to. So that's why it's disappointing.

Had I gone with Sony's A7RII, or Fuji's X-T2, or any of the other competitors, I would have significantly superior video features in what are still primarily stills cameras. Canon chooses to screw over their consumer in that regard, simply because they can. As a result, some of us who have been Canon diehard fans have to experiment with other systems. Experimentation breeds doubt and sometimes, they lose customers as a result.

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:53 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Wondering if we are going to see it in the dxII as well...

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:54 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

@Max, my point is that you already knew you had to move onto other video tech and that the 5D4 wouldn't be appropriate for you, so I am surprised that with the latest news, you seem dramatically more upset, when in reality you already had to be looking at other 4K video sources once the 5D4 specs were known.

I have kids too, and the video works great for me. I pop the 24-70 and it is more than enough for video of drama and sports, and now that I have 4K, it is even better than prior models, since I can pop out frames from the video after the fact too in order to end up with great still images to share.

That Sony A9 could be a fun camera...

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:04 PM
ahmedumair
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Sony A9 lacks S-Log profiles and no 4K 60 FPS. If it is really going after 1Dx II, I dont think its there yet.

I would think Sony would have a A9s or alternative for dedicated video DSLR (aka A7S II replacement)

That said, dat awesome autofocusing and 20 FPS RAW is AAAAMAAAZING!

I do love my Canon colors on skin tones, unmatched on my Sony camcorder.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Max_Pain wrote:
So we went from all the potential great stuff in that hoax to just C-Log? I mean, I'll pay $200 or $300 to get the hoax stuff as an actual firmware update. There's no way I can use my 5DIV for family videos in 4K with this ridiculous codec and crop factor. So if it's just C-Log, this is useless to me and pushes me to another company for my video needs. Damn it Canon.

Well, damn it www.canonrumors.com, I think.

"There's no way I can use my 5DIV for family videos in 4K with this ridiculous codec and crop factor."

Why not? Buy a 17-40mm lens for $350 on the B&S forum here and a 128 GB CF card for about $100. Way cheaper than buying another camera system and useful for stills photography too. The video codec isn't ideal ('though it makes sense that Canon chose it, given the ability to grab high quality stills off video) but that's not a big deal either: just transcode it to something smaller and throw away the original Motion JPEG file.

Personally, the lack of a tilting screen is a bigger deal to me than the other issues. Overall, I'd rather use the 5D4 than something else, mostly because I don't want to buy another camera system. The Alpha 9 is appealing for other reasons but it doesn't have a touch screen and I love the touch screen focus feature on the 5D4.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

I sold my 16-35mm f/4L IS because I wanted to get rid of zooms for my pictures. If I end up stuck with Canon might need to re-buy it for video. It just annoys me that Canon does this just because they can.

I already use 128GB CF and SD cards in my 5DIV, so that's not an issue. But the additional transfer time, then transcoding, to then delete the originals, sure becomes tedious and annoying. And I guess I'm due for another computer re-build, as my i3770, 32GB DDR3 and 970GTX build crawls when editing Canon's 4K footage in Vegas 14. The Fuji 4K is slow but watchable and editable. The Canon footage becomes like a 1FPS slideshow and I'm essentially editing blindly.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:13 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

" It just annoys me that Canon does this just because they can."

I'm no Canon fan boy - I've used Sony, Canon, and Nikon at different times - but I'm not sure if what you're saying is correct. Do we know that there aren't technical issues that make it harder to implement a lower crop? I don't get the sense that it's an arbitrary limitation, just designed to sell more 1DX bodies or Cinema EOS cameras but, of course, I don't really know. What I do know is that Canon has delivered *more* than they promised with the 5D4 - it's just not as much as the rumor suggested.

One option to think about is just batch transcoding the footage. That's been my approach: copy the files to a hot folder, then go do something else. I get a beep when the transcode is done and then I've got video that's still super high-quality but very easy to edit.

I thought about getting a GH5 but ruled it about because of all the uncertainty about the autofocus performance. I also looked at a Sony A6500 (as an alternative to the 5D4). It's got some very nice video features but for what I do, it's a far inferior choice to the 5D4 and I probably would have ended up carrying the A6500 and another DSLR and that seemed silly; may as well buy a far cheaper (and better!) dedicated 4K video camera.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:52 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

fhammond wrote:
" It just annoys me that Canon does this just because they can."

I'm no Canon fan boy - I've used Sony, Canon, and Nikon at different times - but I'm not sure if what you're saying is correct. Do we know that there aren't technical issues that make it harder to implement a lower crop? I don't get the sense that it's an arbitrary limitation, just designed to sell more 1DX bodies or Cinema EOS cameras...

It's not arbitrary. Both the 1DX II and the 5D Mark IV implement 4K capture at native pixel resolution. The higher density sensor in the 5D4 is responsible for the change in crop factors from 1.3 to 1.7.

Higher resolution sensors are actually a limitation for video. To use the entire sensor, the camera would need to supersample output, which means downsampling full resolution to 4K resolution 24, 30, or 60 times each second. This is achievable for 1080p, but the processing power and bandwidth required to do that for 4K is excessive.

This is why the Sony A7s is only a 12Mp stills camera.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:07 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

garyvot wrote:
It's not arbitrary. Both the 1DX II and the 5D Mark IV implement 4K capture at native pixel resolution. The higher density sensor in the 5D4 is responsible for the change in crop factors from 1.3 to 1.7.

Higher resolution sensors are actually a limitation for video. To use the entire sensor, the camera would need to supersample output, which means downsampling full resolution to 4K resolution 24, 30, or 60 times each second. This is achievable for 1080p, but the processing power and bandwidth required to do that for 4K is excessive.

This is why the Sony A7s is only a
...Show more

Ah, got it. I have a 1DX2 so you've answered the question I had about why the crop factor is different between the two cameras.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:11 PM
ahmedumair
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

"I thought about getting a GH5 but ruled it about because of all the uncertainty about the autofocus performance. I also looked at a Sony A6500 (as an alternative to the 5D4). It's got some very nice video features but for what I do, it's a far inferior choice to the 5D4 and I probably would have ended up carrying the A6500 and another DSLR and that seemed silly; may as well buy a far cheaper (and better!) dedicated 4K video camera. "

My thought process has been the same, contemplated an alternative 4K DSLR/Mirrorless body. I think I'm going to wait until GH5 firmware updates are complete to see if auto focus issues are improved. That said, it will never come close to Canon's DPAF (Best!!!). A6500 is a small fit form body I probably wont like, I've tested out at a local Bestbuy (a6300) for quiet some time, just couldn't convince myself that this is something I would enjoy hand holding. I do have to say the autofocus on A6000s is pretty decent for video.

So for now I'm keeping my 5D IV, and If i need wide shots on 4K I utilize my 17-40L. Although, contemplating on selling and upgrading to either Sigma 18-35 or the 16-35L F/4 IS.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:16 PM
malgegg

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

So how do i shoot 4k video that is not jerrk ee yy i don't know much about video.when i shoot a 4k video is terrible i have a lexar 1066 32 gig card

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

A key part of video is support: tripod/heads/sliders/monopods/steadicams.

Also, it's possible you're bumping the needle as the video plays.

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:26 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

I don't use video but it may help with resale is my guess. Canada CPS just restructured their service fees so I wonder what they will charge.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

Zenon Char wrote:
I don't use video but it may help with resale is my guess.

Or possibly harm resale value. The best guess I've seen as to why it's a hardware change (Canon says not just firmware) is the addition of a heat sink. So the processor and camera in general could be running hotter, with a reduced life.

Get it done if and only if you need it (and understand it's 8-bit log when deciding whether you need it). Canon will still be selling new cameras without it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Log for the 5DIV is here...at a price

melcat wrote:
Canon will still be selling new cameras without it.

How do you gather that? The article said new bodies would be $3599 to include the feature. Are you suggesting they will sell both bodies, one without at $3499 and one with at $3599? Seems unlikely to me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password