New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

AF adapter question

VINCET
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF adapter question

Just wondering what is the best Canon EOS AF and Nikon AF to m4/3 adapter out there? Are they reliable and fast?

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF adapter question

For Canon, Metabones. Forget Commlite. For Nikon, no idea if there even is one.

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:47 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF adapter question

VINCET wrote:
Just wondering what is the best Canon EOS AF and Nikon AF to m4/3 adapter out there? Are they reliable and fast?

Unless there is something recent I am not aware of, for smart AF adapters, you have

For Canon EF lens to M4/3 camera.

Metabones. Both focal reducer and non focal reducer adapters.

Kipon Also now both focal reducer and non focal reducer adapters.

How well they work depends on the combination of camera/adapter/lens. Some will work well and others not at all for AF.

IS works ok as well mostly I think and all will work for manual focus at least I think.

There are mounting issues with AF-S lenses on some focal reducer combinations I believe.

My experience is only with the Kipon non focal reducer adapter on my GX7 and a half dozen or so lenses.

As it was first sold, the Kipon was a fun gadget but with many issues but after a few firmware updates it now works very well. (both Kipon and Metabones smart adapters can be updated)
Kipon is cheaper than Metabones generally.

The only lens that I have tried that doesn't work for AF is an ancient 28-90 kit lens from an old EOS film camera (the lens does work for much slower AF on my Sony A7s).

Lenses like the 18-55 IS ii kit lens, 40 2.8 STM, 100 f2 and even my EF mount Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro work very well with fast AF. It also worked great with my sold 135 f2 L.

AF is generally very fast but is AFS only (at least for me).

I don't think there are ANY smart AF adapters for Nikon to M4/3. There is one for Sony E mount but it isn't that good I think and depends on what type of lens (there are dozens of different AF smart adapters for Canon EF to Sony E).

I have shown this before (I love this shot) with the GX7, Sigma 150 2.8and Kipon.

DMC-GX7    150mm    f/2.8    1/8000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:46 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF adapter question

Good fun shot!
I have installed V2.7 on my Metabones EF->mFT SmartAdapter and everything seems fine. The search speed is maaaaybe 1/10 slower ;-) but the general AF seems perhaps a bit snappier. I will give it a good workout next week on a short trip to the countryside. One should note that the latest update (V2.7) loaded on the SpeedBooster series means you will no longer be able to re-load older firmware if you want to. That restriction does not seem to apply to the SmartAdapters, though I have not tested it.

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ELinder
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF adapter question

I wish there were some decent adapters for Nikon lenses other than simple tube adapters. I'd love to use my 70-200/2.8 with AF on the EM-1mk2.

Erich

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:51 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF adapter question

Hi Erich,
Yeah, that is a bummer. Don't know why there are none. Schade!

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:57 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF adapter question

Back from three days on the road in Hungary. Also back to V2.6. V2.7 caused me problems with the Canon 1.4x Extender III. It wouldn't register it properly and kept throwing the exposure off by +1 EV. Only way I could get it to work was by pressing the lens release knob after turning the camera on. Small bug, but I ruined a bunch of shots before I realized what was happening. Had my laptop in the car so I could revert the firmware right away.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password