New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

1swt2gs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

Hi FM!

On my 5D Mark III whenever I focus through viewfinder, I always hit the grid (3rd button on right side) which turns the viewfinder red and populates all the AF point selections followed by the joy-stick and M-Fn to select certain points and types of auto focus.

Well recently I have been getting into more landscape photography and would like to step up my game. Ideally, I do not want to be huddled on the floor and peeking through the viewfinder if I don't have to. This results in me using the live viewfinder for photography.

I notice that there's no way to select autofocus point besides using the joystick and magnifying 5x or 10 and that the focus point is a pretty big square as opposed to being able to manipulate multiple points or select specific points. Should this be a concern and is there a way to choose specific focus points on live view?

Image below for demonstration

Also, what are your best settings for focus in terms of landscape. I typically press down half way shutter to focus, but I feel that with landscapes there is something more ideal than having to press shutter halfway down (a autofocus lock maybe?)

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:54 AM
psharvic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

For me, manual focus works best when I'm shooting landscapes or wild flowers. I move the box in live view with the joystick to the area that I want to be sure is sharp then magnify. This also helps when I need to focus stack. I use a tripod and shutter release.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

Same here. I almost always use LiveView manual focus, with 5x or 10x magnification, when shooting on a tripod. If the placement of the rear LCD screen is awkward, then I use my phone for remote viewing and camera control.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

Which remote shutter would you two recommend?

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

I use the wired Canon release. Not sure its makes much difference as long as it works.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

I just use 10 second timer most of the time. That is usually enough time to get the shakes out of the camera due to you touching things. You can also use your phone with Cannon connect.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

You might not be aware that the autofocus you use when looking through the viewfinder - the one where you can choose the single or group of AF points you want to use is NOT the same as what you're seeing when using autofocus while using Live View. It's Phase Detect vs. Contrast Detect that you get in Live View, which is much slower and cannot focus, if you will, on as small an area of a single phase detect AF site. The AF in Live View is, however available across the entire screen or very very close to it and is not limited to the restricted array of the AF points that light up in the viewfinder.

For landscape you're probably going to want to just use Live View manual focus and maybe get a Hoodman loupe to magnify and block out stray light. And if you're shooting landscape images at or near infinity, manual focus is lot more accurate anyway.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focusing on Live View vs. Viewfinder

I often use the 2-second delay timer, but prefer using a remote shutter release. Most often, I use a simple, wired remote release cable (I have both Canon and OEM). On the 6D, I sometimes use the IR remote. When shooting with multiple flash, I can use an off-camera 600EX-RT or ST/YN-RT-E3 to trigger the shutter.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password