New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Nik Software hanging up....

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nik Software hanging up....

PhilPDX wrote:
Absolutely not. NIK is a dead product. It's freeware now, so you either take it or leave it. It would be nice if Google would invest some money into that software, of course, but under no circumstances are they obligated to do so.

Good luck
-Phil

You have a warped view of things. Google bought out a product which people, like myself, paid good money for. They then decided to just kill the product, leaving the one's that paid for the product holding a bag of manure. Sure Google has no legal obligation to update the product, but they have a corporate and moral obligation to do so. It would be totally different if NIK was freeware from the get go, but it was not...it was a commercial product.

You say NIK is a dead product. Yes it is and Google killed it, even though it was a good product. They just bullied their way, obtained the product for the Snapseed component and just deep six'd the rest, leaving paying customers with nothing going forward. That to me is today's corporate greed that is running away.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nik Software hanging up....

chez wrote:
You have a warped view of things. Google bought out a product which people, like myself, paid good money for. They then decided to just kill the product, leaving the one's that paid for the product holding a bag of manure. Sure Google has no legal obligation to update the product, but they have a corporate and moral obligation to do so. It would be totally different if NIK was freeware from the get go, but it was not...it was a commercial product.

You say NIK is a dead product. Yes it is and Google killed it, even though it was
...Show more

Agree, I paid about $400 for the full product after agonizing for months whether to purchase NIK or OnOne who were at that time competing head to head. A year later Google grabbed NIK and basically set it out to pasture. Since they only wanted Snapseed they could have resold it to someone who would have continued to support it's development. My guess is Google had no clue what to do with it so someone at a meeting said lets just give it away.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nik Software hanging up....

being in the same boat as someone who paid good money for it, I didn't get a freakin dime back from google. They simply just took the best program out of my workflow, crapped all over it, give it away for free and let it die. No problem, thanks google. Let me bow down to you and understand how tough things must be in big industry so you, taking money out of my pocket, is okay and I shouldn't be upset about it. Pfft! I too would happily have paid for the updates to maintain the program. I PAID for the damn program! It was never offered. It was dead from the get go!

Apr 23, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Canon-Shooter

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nik Software hanging up....

I paid for mine also...but when they started giving it away for free...I contacted them and told them I was unhappy about it...They asked for a copy of the receipt...I sent it and they immediately refunded the money.

I also just installed the new PS update and it is working fine for me.

Hope everyone gets it figured out...but I am sure at some point it will be...obsolete!

Keep On Shootin!~

Apr 23, 2017 at 02:31 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nik Software hanging up....

Canon-Shooter wrote:
I paid for mine also...but when they started giving it away for free...I contacted them and told them I was unhappy about it...They asked for a copy of the receipt...I sent it and they immediately refunded the money.

I also just installed the new PS update and it is working fine for me.

Hope everyone gets it figured out...but I am sure at some point it will be...obsolete!

Keep On Shootin!~

It appears to still work on Windows.

Apr 23, 2017 at 03:21 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nik Software hanging up....

works fine on my macs

Apr 23, 2017 at 03:42 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nik Software hanging up....

Solution: still using CS6 and LR5 with Nik software on Win10. Didn't update my Adobe software for quite a while....and I have no need for any more options the newer Adobe software might include.

I don't think that Nik is a dead product - it is a mainly used PP software. I still prefer it over other filter software, e.g. Topaz. I don't see that there is currently another competitive filter product which has the options which Nik provides (e.g. Viveza with selective control over parts of the image etc.)

Apr 24, 2017 at 04:39 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nik Software hanging up....

retrofocus wrote:
Solution: still using CS6 and LR5 with Nik software on Win10. Didn't update my Adobe software for quite a while....and I have no need for any more options the newer Adobe software might include.

I'm still using the Nik tools on PS CS3, I have no reason to upgrade PS and get involved in all the online crap, works perfectly (even though it says it shouldn't, Nik say CS4 onwards, but that's wrong)

Plus the Nik collection works seamlessly on Affinity photo and Adobe Elements as well.

I can't see the point of using the tools in LR as the file is no longer a RAW file within Lightroom

Apr 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nik Software hanging up....

pr4photos wrote:
works fine on my macs

What OS and version of PS are you using? I'm using 10.11.6 and PS CC 2017.1. It was the .1 update that messed it up for me.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:57 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nik Software hanging up....

PhilPDX wrote:
NIK is not developed anymore; it's dead. It's therefore completely irrelevant that Adobe has released a new version of their software. Despite: if Adobe introduces a bug that causes other software to fail, whose responsibility is it to find and remove that bug?

-Phil

Sure isn't Adobe's, because it's not a bug, it's a change in software, an update to their base product. It's modern code vs a program that was written five yrs ago.

Apr 28, 2017 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nik Software hanging up....

I decided a long time ago to stop chasing the dragon of Abobe updates.

Yes I have a standalone Lightroom but beyond that do we really need the extra features in PS? Personally I don't.

Nik problem solved (for me anyway)

Apr 28, 2017 at 05:07 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nik Software hanging up....

mine works fine - and i just updated. However i am still on El Cap on my mid 2015 MBP.

Apr 28, 2017 at 05:35 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nik Software hanging up....

I'm on Mac Sierra 10.12.4, and Photoshop 2017.1.0

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nik Software hanging up....

PS CC 2017.1.1 is now out, addressing an issue with Nik Dfine.

May 02, 2017 at 05:30 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nik Software hanging up....

la puffin wrote:
PS CC 2017.1.1 is now out, addressing an issue with Nik Dfine.

Have you tried it? Did it fix it?

I have had the same issue with 2017.1 update with my Nik plug-ins. They still worked fine with Lightroom, but with Photoshop I had the same issues mentioned in this thread, including Dfine hanging. Would be great if gets fixed.

There was also another issue with CC 2017.1 update in that, every time I tried to Edit in Photoshop via Lightroom, it kept complaining about the Camera Raw version, even though it was already upgraded. Hope they have fixed that too. (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/2305473)

May 02, 2017 at 07:12 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nik Software hanging up....

No, I haven't tried the update yet. I'm going to do a Super Duper back up, then update the IS to Sierra and then the PS update if I don't find any problems. I use Nik Sharpener in my job's workflow and learned my lesson with the last update.

May 02, 2017 at 08:20 PM
dallvr
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nik Software hanging up....

I paid for the Nik set too. So far on OSX 10.12.4 and PSCC 2017.1.0, Dfine is the only filter that is broken; I can still use ColorEfex (ProContrast is part of my usual workflow), and SilverEfex. I feel the same way I did when Adobe bought Freehand and killed it.

May 02, 2017 at 10:22 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nik Software hanging up....

I decided to move up to Sierra on my late 2013 MBP. After that, I did the 2017.1.1 update and the Nik plugins seem to work better than before the 2017.1 update. All of my plugins seem to work a little better.

May 03, 2017 at 05:51 AM
cambyses
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nik Software hanging up....

I finally got a chance to update PS CC to the latest version, and the issues I had with NIK plug-ins, and in particular, Dfine freezing, seem to have now been resolved.

May 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM
moranjr
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nik Software hanging up....

Win 7 Pro + PS CC 2017.1 works.

May 11, 2017 at 10:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password