New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

So apparently high resolution televisions and monitors are the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm thinking we might want to show off some of our detailed stuff

This thread is for those owners lucky enough to be rocking high resolution monitors (4K+).

I've looked for the old high resolution thread and couldn't find it. Maybe it went away into the abyss or Fred deleted it (if that's the case Fred, please say and I'll delete this thread).

To comply with forum rules and not make viewers' lives painful, maybe a few ground rules are in order:

1) Any camera brand and any lens, though in the spirit of the forum, maybe make it as alt as you can get it :-)

2) Try to keep the images under 1.5MB a piece. I've done A/B testing with a full-quality 4K image vs. a 1.5MB restricted images and at least on my 17.3" laptop monitor, the differences are very minor. This prevents gridlock when downloading a page.

Obviously at these sizes, one cannot use the FM upload function, but external hosting seems to work fine (I personally use Smugmug, as their BBcode link is ridiculously easy to use).

3) 4K resolution means 3840x2160 or thereabouts. Obviously the image should be cropped to how it is best viewed, but unless you're running an iMac 27" or other crazy monitor, try not to exceed these dimension.

4) On the flip side, don't be afraid to go large--try to hit 4K if possible! The best is when you have a great image and go full-screen with your monitor, then click the image and FM's forum display kicks into high gear and you get edge-to-edge goodness

I guess that's about it :-) I'll get started!

------

On a train between Chama, NM and San Antonito, CO. Sony A7 with a lens (maybe the Samyang 85mm but unsure).

Beautiful Pagosa Springs, CO

Apr 19, 2017 at 09:25 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

Albuquerque Botanical Gardens (Olympus EM5 with the 14/2.5)

Somewhere near Pigeon Forge, TN (EM5 with Pany 7-14)

Apr 19, 2017 at 09:48 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

This thread ...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189320/0

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:43 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

mcbroomf wrote:
This thread ...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189320/0

Holy macarena THANK YOU! I had searched "high", "resolution" and everything in between.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

I used the google search bar below, not the search cell at the top

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

Also, "4K" is 4096x2160. "UHD" is 3840x2160. Whilst most consumer vendors label things "4K", they're not.

From the Wiki page: "Many manufacturers may advertise their products as UHD 4K, or simply 4K, when the term 4K is traditionally reserved for the cinematic, DCI resolution. This often causes great confusion among consumers."

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:20 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The High Resolution 4K Image Thread

Sam_W wrote:
Also, "4K" is 4096x2160. "UHD" is 3840x2160. Whilst most consumer vendors label things "4K", they're not.

From the Wiki page: "Many manufacturers may advertise their products as UHD 4K, or simply 4K, when the term 4K is traditionally reserved for the cinematic, DCI resolution. This often causes great confusion among consumers."

Touche good sir , consider me un-confused now

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.